List Mgmt. Jeremy Cameron traded to Geelong

What will happen with Cameron?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said from the start, I don't think a trade happens. This is their line in the sand moment. They are going to force him into the draft and will be on him every day till the draft to re-sign.

It’s just mashing two common BF trades together.

In that one North have pulled our pants down and riddin us like a Thanks Giving Turkey if they get 20 & 38 for Higgins & 28. I mean he’s 33. He does a shoulder preseason and he’ll never actually play a game for the club.

Sorry I just realized there was supposed to be a Future R3 coming back to us from North for Higgins so its essentially pick 20, Pick 38 for Higgins, Pick 28 & Future R3

If came to the crunch ... would the majority of people prefer us to be bent over and pay overs or walk away , assuming Cameron will not submit to a draft.. its either or miss out ?
Every deal in every part of life has a ‘walk away’ point. Ours here should be anything more than two first round picks.

It’s slightly more complicated by the question of whether this means missing out on him forever or do we get another crack as UFA next year? That would depend on GWS extending him by a year which I’m not sure they would agree to do as they would effectively be giving up two R1 picks for one year of service.

If came to the crunch ... would the majority of people prefer us to be bent over and pay overs or walk away , assuming Cameron will not submit to a draft.. its either or miss out ?

Walk away, take the three first round picks to the draft and play Kreuger and Ratugolea

Every deal in every part of life has a ‘walk away’ point. Ours here should be anything more than two first round picks.

It’s slightly more complicated by the question of whether this means missing out on him forever or do we get another crack as UFA next year? That would depend on GWS extending him by a year which I’m not sure they would agree to do as they would effectively be giving up two R1 picks for one year of service.

The thing that gives me the shits though is that Cameron and his manager havent come out and reiterated their stance that he wants to leave, there has been nothing at all which tells me 2 things a) he is considering staying b) he is waiting for the trade to become void to re-negotiate a new contract with them, wouldnt be surprised if they have said that they will give him $1 million a year if you stay now that we have room.

Anyone on here who says walk is smoking something.

Cameron is a gun - plain and simple. With all the over analysis it appears a few people are just plain out overlooking a simple fact. Tim Kelly is a straight swap for Jeremy Cameron and we still have a first rounder up our sleeve. And if its a first rounder + an Esava type then I'd put pen to paper as quick as I could if I was Wells. Cameron is a generational talent - Esava is not.

There's a years difference in age between Kelly and Cameron - and everyone said we'd go backwards without Kelly. How did that turn out. If we think not bringing Cameron in will be offset by taking early picks to the draft then that's just factually wrong. For every quality player that results from an early pick - there's a few duds. Look at Geelong's own drafting history with first rounders if you need any further evidence.

Smedts - Lang and plenty of others taken in the first round are a waste of an early pick ............ the list is long. Geelong knows this and has experienced it first hand. That's why a deal will be done.

Cameron is a gun - plain and simple. With all the over analysis it appears a few people are just plain out overlooking a simple fact. Tim Kelly is a straight swap for Jeremy Cameron and we still have a first rounder up our sleeve. And if its a first rounder + an Esava type then I'd put pen to paper as quick as I could if I was Wells. Cameron is a generational talent - Esava is not.

There's a years difference in age between Kelly and Cameron - and everyone said we'd go backwards without Kelly. How did that turn out. If we think not bringing Cameron in will be offset by taking early picks to the draft then that's just factually wrong. For every quality player that results from an early pick - there's a few duds. Look at Geelong's own drafting history with first rounders if you need any further evidence.

Smedts - Lang and plenty of others taken in the first round are a waste of an early pick ............ the list is long. Geelong knows this and has experienced it first hand. That's why a deal will be done.

Yes he is a gun but he is 28, we arent going to pay more than 2 first rounders for him, that would be just crazy and it seems like everytime we get closer GWS move the goalposts more in their favor.

I 100% agree.

Personally, I think the only value of draft picks after top 7 or so are the amount of draft picks you get to use.

If we lose 13 and 20 or whatever it ends up being, as long as we get Cameron and another pick somewhere to take a shot at a random kid in the draft, then I'm fine with that.

It's so irrational to be this greedy and keep all our picks and get Cameron through the PSD. If we miss out on these special top 20 picks, then I'm sure we'll be fine with Jeremy Cameron and some speculative pick that Wells will have with the rookie draft.

Walk away
Hope it doesn’t happen and we can get a better deal. But you’re not walking away from Cameron even if it’s 13 & 15 plus a fringe in reality. Sounds bad on paper but it’s a no brainer. Unfortunately the Giants know it.

If Dangerfield retired today you would have “traded” two first round picks plus more to get those 5 seasons of output.

Yes he is a gun but he is 28, we arent going to pay more than 2 first rounders for him, that would be just crazy and it seems like everytime we get closer GWS move the goalposts more in their favor.
Agreed. He is 28 coming off a bad year. It has been stated that he did not handle the HUB life well. I think there is a more than even chance that we will end up with some form of HUB life for at least part of next year which means we may not see good form from Cameron till 2022 when he is 29. Surely there is some risk which reduces the value.

I 100% agree.

Personally, I think the only value of draft picks after top 7 or so are the amount of draft picks you get to use.

If we lose 13 and 20 or whatever it ends up being, as long as we get Cameron and another pick somewhere to take a shot at a random kid in the draft, then I'm fine with that.

It's so irrational to be this greedy and keep all our picks and get Cameron through the PSD. If we miss out on these special top 20 picks, then I'm sure we'll be fine with Jeremy Cameron and some speculative pick that Wells will have with the rookie draft.
we have been terrible at drafting in the range our 3 picks are too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. He is 28 coming off a bad year. It has been stated that he did not handle the HUB life well. I think there is a more than even chance that we will end up with some form of HUB life for at least part of next year which means we may not see good form from Cameron till 2022 when he is 29. Surely there is some risk which reduces the value.

I know you guys mean that he will be turning 28 next year but for accuracy I feel obliged to say that the man is 27 for at least another 5 months.

we have been terrible at drafting in the range our 3 picks are too
I agree, De-Koning is about the only player I can think of who looks decent - that we've drafted in this range in a long time. I'm a bit over picking up vanilla midfielders, half-back players and non-productive small forwards. TBH At this range, the reality is that is all that's left. This is probably why Wells goes for hidden smokies. All the really good naturally talented kids are already gone.

My thoughts - just poach good players from other clubs, top up with some speculative picks, look for good rookies and hidden state-league players. Don't be so eager to fight over National Draft scraps.

I 100% agree.

I believe that the AFL rules are that I we have to take 3 picks in the main draft. I know all draft picks in reality speculative but it means we would have 3 pretty speculative picks that will be on the list for at least the next 2 years.

Does anyone know how many round 1 picks we've taken in the last 3 years? Only asking because I think we want to make sure we have the flexibility to trade our first next year if we should so choose. (I don't think we'd want to, but what if another danger presented themselves)

I believe that the AFL rules are that I we have to take 3 picks in the main draft. I know all draft picks in reality speculative but it means we would have 3 pretty speculative picks that will be on the list for at least the next 2 years.
I have no issue with this. I couldnt care less if it was pick 28, 31 and 45 or instead of 13, 15 and 20 at this stage. Pretty sure Wells and his team have done the work to find three decent players.

This year especially is one that could yield some surprising gems at later picks. Alot of players would have been very hidden from the eyes of other recruiters at that range.

Hope it doesn’t happen and we can get a better deal. But you’re not walking away from Cameron even if it’s 13 & 15 plus a fringe in reality. Sounds bad on paper but it’s a no brainer. Unfortunately the Giants know it.

If Dangerfield retired today you would have “traded” two first round picks plus more to get those 5 seasons of output.
We need another big goalkicker, and he's the only game in town.

Does anyone know how many round 1 picks we've taken in the last 3 years? Only asking because I think we want to make sure we have the flexibility to trade our first next year if we should so choose. (I don't think we'd want to, but what if another danger presented themselves)
I think we've taken all of our picks over the last 2 years (Clark, Stephens, DeKonig). Not sure that we are restricted anymore. 2017 was all round 2 picks I think.

0 in 2017, fog and kelly early 2nds at 22 and 24
1 in 2018, clark at 15
2 in 2019, cooper at 16 and sdk at 19

All fair. Obviously there is a big difference in R1 picks available. 15 & 20 are R1's... we in theory could trade for 7 and 8 .. and that is two R1 picks. Id say if its cost us any more than two of the R1 picks we have etc...

it appears we have offered 2R1's.. let see if that gets it donw

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Jeremy Cameron traded to Geelong

Back