Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Given his off-field situation, I struggle with how to rate him. He has been average to bad this year but hasn't been a terrible pick-up overall. I'd keep him around but only as a break glass option.
I'd like to keep him as depth

But we all know Hinkley will pull a Dixon 2.0 and play him over Georgiadis and co

Given his off-field situation, I struggle with how to rate him. He has been average to bad this year but hasn't been a terrible pick-up overall. I'd keep him around but only as a break glass option.

His body language is an issue.

A professional sporting team in the UK, Europe or US would not have him on the list on his body language alone.

It's non negotiable and that has to change now ie today, or there's no contract.

Get him help whatever but you can not have that as a standard in a young group of players.

You can make an example of cutting him from the list for it.

I have no idea how he is still getting a game..would rather one of the young talls from the SANFL take his place. He is done and has been since 2022. His disposal efficiency over the last two seasons is at 56% and he offers zero defensively

You have to assume his life situation has made it difficult, but his effort and intensity is so far away from AFL level you just cannot continue to carry him.

Definitely the most frustrating player in our side, just pipping out Marshall.

He has the skills, but some of his lazy and lethargic efforts have me wanting to cave my skull in with a house brick!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a much better player than we have seen over the last season, although he did have several good games before being suspended.

His body language and effort at times are problems although I think it is fair to say that the incredible personal stress he is under has had an impact here. I believe Kelly has refused any further chemo and radiation treatment and is now looking to natural remedies.

If he can address these and a couple of other issues there is a spot for him in our team if he brings his best game. Certainly worth keeping around for depth. Obviously it would be a 2 year contract on fairly cheap coin.

So much natural talent, but we need to get rid of these type of players with such a gulf between their best and worst

Never going to win anything with these flaky types. Certainly not with half a forward line full of them

Do we offer him another contract
I honestly don't know
1 year maybe if not trade
Maybe he needs to just focus on his family

I honestly don't know
I'd give him 1 more year as a depth player. Get rid of Dixon.

I honestly don't know
Trading him unless to the Cows would be an act of incredibly cruelty with his wife's family living in Adelaide. So there is a bit of a disconnect there. The player has to agree to the trade and I very much doubt that Jeremy would accept a trade that takes him out of South Australia.

Offer him a minimum wage contract, rookie him, god even delist him so he can make money playing for a local club but don't try to trade him. I know we are a football club and not a community centre but surely this is one case where an exception can be made.

He is worth keeping if he gets sent to the club psychologist and gets his body language and motivation issues worked out.

Trading him unless to the Cows would be an act of incredibly cruelty with his wife's family living in Adelaide. So there is a bit of a disconnect there. The player has to agree to the trade and I very much doubt that Jeremy would accept a trade that takes him out of South Australia.

Offer him a minimum wage contract, rookie him, god even delist him so he can make money playing for a local club but don't try to trade him. I know we are a football club and not a community centre but surely this is one case where an exception can be made.

He is worth keeping if he gets sent to the club psychologist and gets his body language and motivation issues worked out.
With a new coach you will see Finlayson find form once again. He is one of a few players that look uninterested ATM and I lay the blame at the stale messages coming from a coach trying to save his job.

I'd offer him a pathway into coaching within the club. It couldn't hurt to have someone fresh to teach how to take a shot at goal.

The type of player that will be reborn and thrive under a new coach.

On a reduced and shortened contract mind you.

Strikes me as the kind of guy who needs to know he's potentially at the last saloon to play on the edge and stay hungry.

Not get complacent and lazy on a fat, long-term contract.

Finlayson 2025 = Westhoff 2013 if we make a coaching change.

Previously hit and miss talent finds consistency with a new voice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back