Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Spud - Delist

To compare him to Hoff is ludicrous.
Depends. To compare him to Hoff under Choco is an insult to Finlayson to be honest. Hoff only had the bump in form under a new coach. Finlayson could absolutely do the same.

With a fresh voice in the coaches box, I believe we would see improvement in players such as Finlayson, Marshall and a few other under performers. The real upside with a new coach would be the development in our future like JHF, Rozee, Butters, Bergman, Lord, MG.
Just my opinion.

Depends. To compare him to Hoff under Choco is an insult to Finlayson to be honest. Hoff only had the bump in form under a new coach. Finlayson could absolutely do the same.

I’d see Marshall as a closer comparison to Hoff in that scenario.

Finlayson is pure taking the piss.

Westhoff

Daylight

Marshall 2022
Finalyson 2023

Marshall has had a lot longer go at it. I'd move them both on at this point.
and replace them with...

As harsh as I am on Todd he had virtually no preseason recovering from his hip surgery. Even 2nd KPF's of his age are hard to come by I would be seeing how he goes after a full preseason for sure.

Finlayson at the very least is valuable depth and if he can get his head in the right space there is a place for him in our squad.

and replace them with...

As harsh as I am on Todd he had virtually no preseason recovering from his hip surgery. Even 2nd KPF's of his age are hard to come by I would be seeing how he goes after a full preseason for sure.

Finlayson at the very least is valuable depth and if he can get his head in the right space there is a place for him in our squad.

Scully.

And then draft some other prospects.

Scully.

And then draft some other prospects.
You are replacing two talls with one raw prospect and we don't really have the picks to draft someone who would be able to make an immediate impact. Talls always take longer to develop.

I say keep Marshall for the foreseeable future and see how he goes next season and offer Finlayson a one year deal on minimum coin.

With a fresh voice in the coaches box, I believe we would see improvement in players such as Finlayson, Marshall and a few other under performers. The real upside with a new coach would be the development in our future like JHF, Rozee, Butters, Bergman, Lord, MG.
Just my opinion.
Agreed, a coach who can instil confidence into players (eg Fos and Jack Cahill), instead of kern's continued BS of finals are scary, someone has to lose, etc, etc, etc, could improve the Finlayson and Marshall types significantly, so I'm not drawing a line through them until we get a real coach with a successful game plan, and a plan B when plan A isn't working.

With Dixon almost certainly in his last season, and Lord currently going incognito for long periods it wouldn't make a lot of sense to give the sayonara to 2 other 200 cm players at the same time as him anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah most likely won't end well.

Must be a big catch 22, he probably needs to play to help with the stress of life and dropping him might not be great either. Probably gets to the end of the year much like Ken and may not be here next year - who knows, shit situation.

Jeremy's had a poor season by his standards but he's got so much more than footy to deal with. I hope we show some further faith in him and give him another contract.
Depending on the outcome, he may be having to spend a lot of his time looking after Kellie and their daughter. A professional football career on top of that may not be manageable for him. As long as he gets plenty of support whichever way it goes.

It is considered, but there’s nothing we can do about it.
Doesn’t mean he should be playing if he’s sub standard.

Supported in every other way, but not the meritocracy part of things.

Theres a difference between saying he shouldn't be playing currently, especially given these circumstances. and loading up with crap comments like "spud delist" though.

At risk of reopening an old can of worms, this is why I wasn't a big fan of the AFL choosing him as the guy to make an example of re the homophobic slur. Probably under more stress and pressure than any other player in the entire league, makes a dumb comment. Sure, hand down some sort of penalty. But given the context, did they really need to make him the absolute line in the sand moment?

At risk of reopening an old can of worms, this is why I wasn't a big fan of the AFL choosing him as the guy to make an example of re the homophobic slur. Probably under more stress and pressure than any other player in the entire league, makes a dumb comment. Sure, hand down some sort of penalty. But given the context, did they really need to make him the absolute line in the sand moment?

They had to draw a line in the sand! to make sure that unequivocally this would NEVER happen again! EVER!

Uhhh... is hasn't happened again has it? Twice?? oh shit

At the risk of sounding callous, and i'll preface this by saying I feel for his family, but if you can't put your hand up to perform at your best level, you shouldn't be making yourself available to play.

This is not a social club where every player wins a prize on Sunday morning. This is a professional outfit where the actions of a select few affect thousands. This is not a case of "oh playing footy makes you feel better? Ok you can keep playing then."

The Club have a duty of care to the player, but also to the Club. Right now he has played like someone who is a hindrance on the field rather than an asset. He's clearly not been in the right mindframe to play this year. Pay him and what not, but he should not have been made available for selection for quite some time.

Theres a difference between saying he shouldn't be playing currently, especially given these circumstances. and loading up with crap comments like "spud delist" though.

There’s not really a chasm between should never play again because he’s not good enough and spud delist.

It’s the same thing, just clearer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back