List Mgmt. Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a forward yes, not a priority still think we need to find some of the better mids in the comp a mature ruckman and a key back cum forward to win a flag but he wouldnt hurt. How old is he?

Assuming no serious injuries, Blair gets pushed out of the team anyway and Swan plays permanent forward due to Treloar.

Howe is not the type of player that fills a structural need as a player with low possession winning ability, poor workrate and suspect decision making. He's good around goals and very good overhead, so I don't mind him as a depth option (paid accordingly).

But yeah, he won't add to our best 22 unless you want to suggest that Howe > Swan.

Assuming no serious injuries, Blair gets pushed out of the team anyway and Swan plays permanent forward due to Treloar.

Howe is not the type of player that fills a structural need as a player with low possession winning ability, poor workrate and suspect decision making. He's good around goals and very good overhead, so I don't mind him as a depth option (paid accordingly).

But yeah, he won't add to our best 22 unless you want to suggest that Howe > Swan.
Howe > Swan. :drunk:

26 year olds don't get any better, he's showed what his got, either like it or not.

I reckon he ends up at Freo though, if they offer him even slightly over market value I don't think we'll continue pursuing him.
Leigh Brown did.

Environment is everything. I'm not a big fan of Howe, but I was less a fan of Varcoe. To some guys a change of scenery and new ideals can really take their footy to the next level. Howe can do some really nice things once or twice a game, just like Varcoe could, if we can turn that into some really nice things three or four times a quarter, like Varcoe did, we're onto a winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh Brown did.

Environment is everything. I'm not a big fan of Howe, but I was less a fan of Varcoe. To some guys a change of scenery and new ideals can really take their footy to the next level. Howe can do some really nice things once or twice a game, just like Varcoe could, if we can turn that into some really nice things three or four times a quarter, like Varcoe did, we're onto a winner.
Umm, no he didnt, Brown simply refound the good form he showed in 1-2 seasons at North, no better, no worse. (Max goals in a season at North = 21, Max at the Pies = 23).

Same with Howe, take what he's shown to be his best football and that's what he might be able to give us, no better, maybe a lot worse. Howe kicked 28 goals in 2013 for the Dees, he won't do much better for us.

If anyone wants him, fair enough, but don't go expecting him to magically kick 40-50 goals in a season, it ain't going to happen.

Umm, no he didnt, Brown simply refound the good form he showed in 1-2 seasons at North, no better, no worse. (Max goals in a season at North = 21, Max at the Pies = 23).

Same with Howe, take what he's shown to be his best football and that's what he might be able to give us, no better, maybe a lot worse. Howe kicked 28 goals in 2013 for the Dees, he won't do much better for us.

If anyone wants him, fair enough, but don't go expecting him to magically kick 40-50 goals in a season, it ain't going to happen.
I know you'll say it's splitting hairs but 23 is better than 21. In any case, without doing my research on percentage of time positionally, Brown was used in the ruck at Collingwood and sometimes very high up the field. I'd definitely, without any need for researching, argue that Brown was better in black and white than blue and white. Goals aren't everything.

Hasn't Howe also spent a lot of time up the field? I'd say 28 goals isn't bad for someone who's been tried in defense and even on a wing before that, if I'm not mistaken. Again, I don't care enough to do the research into how much time he's spent in which position, but I'm not going to dismiss someone who has obvious talent. We just need to bring that talent out more often.

WOW don't get the negativity about Howe, a year or so ago he was top end from most perspective.. needs to be in a strong environment and as a 3rd tall will be a gun? am I missing something? worth more than Fasolo so reckon 450k is about right.

Do the deal.

450 is the absolute top end, 350-400 would hopefully be more like it

If the money is right I guess I don't mind it.

Something like this may work, with guys like DeGoey, Varcoe and Swan also rotating through. Still feel like we are missing a quality crumber.
Broomhead Moore/White Howe
Fasolo Cloke Elliot

Would prefer Watts

Should say it all really...

We need to stop spending way too much for average to poor forwards. Either get a real one and pay what it costs or don't bother.

Everyone's complaining about Howe in the same fashion everyone did about Varcoe last year..

Difference is Varcoe had actually showen he can go a couple years without going missing.

450 is the absolute top end, 350-400 would hopefully be more like it

See, this is what I don't get.

If we are seriously contemplating paying that much for someone like Howe, I would rather have spent the money to meet Freeman's demands. He has far more value to give than Howe ever will. We seem to go crazy on what we are prepared to pay for dross from other clubs then skimp on our own. Madness.

Everyone's complaining about Howe in the same fashion everyone did about Varcoe last year..
I agree with the sentiment (and I'm probably contradicting myself from a few posts earlier), but it doesn't always work out as sweet as it did with Varcoe.

I'm happy to get Howe, as I've seen what he can do. If Hine thinks his talent is good enough for the team, and if the development and coaching staff think they can get the best out of him more often, then I'm all for it, but only then.

Also, the price must be right. If we pay any more than 450k, I'd be pretty disappointed.

See, this is what I don't get.

If we are seriously contemplating paying that much for someone like Howe, I would rather have spent the money to meet Freeman's demands. He has far more value to give than Howe ever will. We seem to go crazy on what we are prepared to pay for dross from other clubs then skimp on our own. Madness.
We apparently offered Freeman a contract worth 250k first year with a trigger clause (depending on games played) that could see him earn up to 400+ in his second year. The thing is, he doesn't want to be at the Pies.

Chasing "dross" from other clubs may just be what finding talent to fill needs is all about. Howe is not a bad footballer, he's limited, yes, but he's not bad. In the right environment, he could thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back