List Mgmt. Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blair is a very average player too yet he's also played some very good games in his career... What exactly does Howe offer that we don't have? Other than taking hangers what does he offer? It's not like he actually kicks goals.
He's a genuine utility and he's an upgrade on Goldsack for sure. He'd be handy but only if we didn't have to give up too much to get him. You are right though, this type of player shouldn't be too high on our shopping list in terms of our needs.

He kicked 28 goals in 2013 playing in a team that had the worst offense in the league that year, won 2 games, and had an average losing margin of 70 points.
Tarkyn Lockyer kicked 32 a year before he couldn't get a consistent game and was left out of a grand final side. Anthony kicked 50 and two years later looked like a slow learner playing for Fremantle.

I'll let that sink in.

If we are recruiting Howe it is as a forward.

I can't, and don't want to see him being selected ahead of Marsh, Frost, Scharenberg, Langdon, Maynard or Ramsay, all who show potential much higher then Howe has ever shown down back.

I'm neither for or against getting Howe, I just don't see him helping us much, but if we get him cheap he adds depth to our list at least.

He'd add versatility to our forward setup.

We're trying to develop a forward structure that isn't reliant on one or two key forwards, but is unpredictable and dynamic with multiple scoring options ala Hawthorn.

Cloke, Moore, Howe, (hopefully injury free) Reid, throw in Jamie Elliott, Fas (if he can get some consistency) and the marking mids who drift forward (Pendles/Swan/Crisp), and suddenly we have a very dynamic forward line. White will be used as depth.

I agree we could do with an extra crummer/small forward, but another mid-tall who can kick (can Howe kick?) is also beneficial.

One of the key reasons we went after Kreuzer was because he could provide a marking option up forward. We want that versatile forward setup.

He will have a clearer role to play at Collingwood, which might improve his football.

He'd add versatility to our forward setup.

We're trying to develop a forward structure that isn't reliant on one or two key forwards, but is unpredictable and dynamic with multiple scoring options ala Hawthorn.

Cloke, Moore, Howe, (hopefully injury free) Reid, throw in Jamie Elliott, Fas (if he can get some consistency) and the marking mids who drift forward (Pendles/Swan/Crisp), and suddenly we have a very dynamic forward line. White will be used as depth.

I agree we could do with an extra crummer/small forward, but another mid-tall who can kick (can Howe kick?) is also beneficial.

One of the key reasons we went after Kreuzer was because he could provide a marking option up forward. We want that versatile forward setup.

He will have a clearer role to play at Collingwood, which might improve his football.
77% disposal efficiency

According to HS, we're not much of a chance for him.

GC and Freo front runners, we're not a "major player" at this stage - apparently.

I dare say Ross Lyon's a bit more desperate and may pay overs if it helps him win his elusive flag. He'll only get one more crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarkyn Lockyer kicked 32 a year before he couldn't get a consistent game and was left out of a grand final side. Anthony kicked 50 and two years later looked like a slow learner playing for Fremantle.

I'll let that sink in.
Lockyer was a completely different player and Pushing 30 in 2010. Anthony had a single year where he showed anything at all in a team that played a lot of good footy.

Howe has shown ability in multiple positions over 100 odd games.

You're comparing apples with oranges there Sunshine. Next time you want to be a smug campaigner at least have a decent argument.

According to HS, we're not much of a chance for him.

GC and Freo front runners, we're not a "major player" at this stage - apparently.

I dare say Ross Lyon's a bit more desperate and may pay overs if it helps him win his elusive flag. He'll only get one more crack.
Tend to agree with this.

If Freo or anyone else are willing to pay his supposed 500k asking price I doubt we'll be trying to chase that down (and rightly so).

Lockyer was a completely different player and Pushing 30 in 2010. Anthony had a single year where he showed anything at all in a team that played a lot of good footy.

Howe has shown ability in multiple positions over 100 odd games.

You're comparing apples with oranges there Sunshine. Next time you want to be a smug campaigner at least have a decent argument.
Pointing out 28 goals in a year is not something at all to write home about.

Ross has said Bennell & McCarthy are their two trade targets. Not in play for Howe.

If Howe didn't take screamers he'd just be another name at Melbourne that many of us would know nothing about. Therefore I feel like I can't even decide if I want him or not. Certainly not for over $500k, going by his stats.

I'd still prefer Aish, especially if Seedsman goes.

A lot would be pleasantly surprised with what Howe could produce in a team that isn't Melbourne. He couples a beautiful kick with good decision making. He's capable of clean, polished football. Some have floated accountability and defensive pressure as a potential issue, but didn't we have those concerns over Varcoe? Look how that turned out. Howe is exactly what we don't have; a smart player who can deliver bullet passes into the forward 50.

Last edited:
Would people prefer Howe or Watts? I would lean to Watts personally.

One could argue Watts is the more versatile footballer, bit I feel Howe would suit our team more than Watts would. I just don't see where Watts would play for us.

Half back sweeper? Between Scharenberg, Oxley and Pendlebury, we got that covered.
Forward tall? We already have White and Howe is a better forward
Midfield? He'd be too far behind in the pecking order
Can't pinch hit in the ruck either

At least with Howe, he'd already be ahead of Fasolo as a forward and you know he can swing back IF you need him to and be more than adequate back there. But worst comes to worst, he's a mainstay in our forward line and would require an attentive minder.

For the right price it's a yes for me. He and Elliott are two very unique matchups in a F50.

Yes teams will have a player to shut one down, but few will have two. Tall defenders will cover them in the air, but won't have them on the ground and vice versa for small defenders. With this one it's very much about the forward mix rather than the individuals.

The only concern I'd have is that our forward half have a propensity to fly too often anyway, but that's a structure thing so if the likes of Fasolo, Swan and Broomhead stick to ground level it would work, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back