Prediction Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

It's going to be interesting to see who gets in the team. I was replying to the idea that Cox should be in the team instead of Tabs every day of the week. If Cox is fit to play then he should go back through the WAFL. Tabs played well enough to maintain his spot again Cox. Not sure if he would if we had Cary or Pav coming in ;)

If it's decided that Jesse plays and that we would be too tall then out of the tall forwards who played last week it would be Tabs who is out. I think Lobb is already pretty important to our structure and obviously Cam keeps his spot.

If we can fit another tall in (i.e. if Jesse plays) then I'm more than happy with Tabs in the team. Thought he was pretty good last week.
Best management for Cox as an emerging player is for him to have to force his way into the side by weight of performance.

Taberner is actually a very good role model for that. Fantastic trainer and consistently improves. In game 1 it looked like he was keeping it simple and making much faster decisions in terms of getting the ball in to the other forwards, which was one of the concerns for him last season.

Why would we trade out our depth? This time last week we were crapping our pants worried out going in with a forward line of Lobb and McDardy. Why wouldn't we just keep them all so we always have a functioning forward line with marking tall forwards necessary for the 666 setup?

Why would we trade out our depth? This time last week we were crapping our pants worried out going in with a forward line of Lobb and McDardy. Why wouldn't we just keep them all so we always have a functioning forward line with marking tall forwards necessary for the 666 setup?
Because they will force your hand. Why would tabs or cox want to stay if they are playing at peel.

I'm firmly in the Keep Tabs in camp however an interesting comment in Ross' Presser today. He mentioned that in the past he may have been too loyal in regards to team selection and sort of indicated that the teams will be selected based the week's opposition, not necessarily on form?

That's what I got from it anyway.

Because they will force your hand. Why would tabs or cox want to stay if they are playing at peel.
At some point there will be injuries- so whilst we might have a dilemma this week, it won't always be thus. They will get a game, and will have to make sure they grab any opportunity like Thor did last weekend.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peel. Reward the guys that played on the weekend. I fear that bringing in Hogan for Ballas may upset the balance of the side and we're way too tall up forward.
Probably Balla out for him anyway. Wouldn’t upset it too much. Walters can play forward with Hogan going to the middle.

Hogan in for the purple this week. No brainer. First game for him, away so he can shake off the cob webs and the past month at a small crowd. Better then in front of 40k at Optus stadium.

I'm firmly in the Keep Tabs in camp however an interesting comment in Ross' Presser today. He mentioned that in the past he may have been too loyal in regards to team selection and sort of indicated that the teams will be selected based the week's opposition, not necessarily on form?

That's what I got from it anyway.

He’s never been loyal to team selections in regards to Tabs anyway. Don’t like the idea of choosing our team based on their team. That’s immediately being defensive. Never resort going down to the opposition’s level. Play the best 22 as possible, dominated on Sunday. Why change that?

Looking at Gold Coast’s backline- Collins is out with concussion. That leaves Hombsch as their only tall defender. Although Charlie Ballard is 195cm. Really bare for them.
Looking at that, it’s perfect chance to unleash Tabs/Hogan/McCarthy/Lobb. Play the best forwards with that backline.

players asking to be traded is one thing. Discussions considering trading them out after Week 1 is just bizarre.
True dat but it was always going to be a question asked at some stage if all of our kpfs are fit and firing.
Just so happens we’re already pretty close to that point and we STILL don’t even have Cox or Dixon fit and firing yet.
It’s something the club must take into consideration , even at this point(which you would hope they are)

He’s never been loyal to team selections in regards to Tabs anyway. Don’t like the idea of choosing our team based on their team. That’s immediately being defensive. Never resort going down to the opposition’s level. Play the best 22 as possible, dominated on Sunday. Why change that?

Yeah, but Tabs played well, so the choosing based on opponent thingy may be an ‘out’ to explain why Tabs is dropped.

Agreed with you on selection, especially for forward positions. I like us to just announce Hogan for Ballantyne. Interesting to see what GC will do in response. “Call our bluff” and play a midget against Hogan? I’ll rather they adjust to us than we adjust to them.

To be honest, Ballantyne was in for the forward pressure to lock the ball in the forward 50. I’ll say Ballas is not effective in this department (without help) since other teams realized that his tackle can’t really stick and just try to shrug it off. Forcing opposition to select a taller (but hopefully less nimble) defensive back will be more effective in locking it in imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back