TheKopEnd

Debutant
Nov 14, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
I am in QLD at the moment and did not get to see any of the game. How did Jesse Smith go? Will he get another game or will big Denis drop him?

TheKopEnd said:
I am in QLD at the moment and did not get to see any of the game. How did Jesse Smith go? Will he get another game or will big Denis drop him?

Put it this way, he spent majority of the game on the bench. When he was on the ground, the contest was a ball up the in middle (at a time when the Blues were getting smashed in the centre clearances), the ball pretty much fell to his feet and he panicked and didn't really know what to do with it.... the result was a sloppy kick into the forward line (which actually came off, however I can't remember whether it resulted in a goal or a behind).

Overall, he wasn't on the ground a lot so can't really grade his game.

Seemed a bit 'out of his depth' early [understandable] however did a few good 'in and under' things later in the game.

Copped some attention from Tivendale and others in the middle at centre bounces and seemed to handle that OK.

2007 will be his defining year, just let him finish off 2006's final two games with a bit more ground time.

Didnt really get much of a go...but from what i saw- it seemed that his lack of pace will definately be exposed at the higher level. I dont reckon we have room for 2 Benticks in our side. But definately deserves a go after his form with the Bullants.

Fehoola said:
Didnt really get much of a go...but from what i saw- it seemed that his lack of pace will definately be exposed at the higher level. I dont reckon we have room for 2 Benticks in our side. But definately deserves a go after his form with the Bullants.

We certainly need an injection of pace in the midfield, as guys like Stevens, Blackwell, Bentick and Smith aren't the quickest guys going around. Even Murphy is not that quick. If we're going to go for mids in this years draft, they will need to be quick.

I felt very sorry for the bloke. Sat on the bench for the first quarter, then Pagan throws him on for his first run - straight into the center square, with Richmond on a roll, having kicked 2 goals in a row. His center square partners? Bentick and Scotland, neither of whom are top-quality center square players. That was in the second quarter- Richmond promptly piled on 7 goals, and you could see the poor guy's confidence just get shattered. First possession he was in the game, his direct opponent took the ball away from the middle, kicked it forward, then ran on, got the ball back and kicked a goal. By the time he did get it, he was like a walking corpse, just too scared to do anything with it.

What an absolutely crap coaching move by Pagan though. Guy in his first game, goes straight into the center square? No chance to play himself into the pace of the game, get used to the tempo of AFL football, just straight into the heat. Not only that, but he goes in alongside two young and relatively weak players; why not play him with Stevens, or Kouta, or someone who would at least draw the opposition attention a bit and let him find his feet. Then, with Richmond smashing us out of the middle, he gets left there for 7 straight goals! Cost us the game, not to mention ruining what could well be Smith's only chance to play AFL football. I reckon he deserves another shot, but I can't see him proving much in 2 weeks. Poor show by Pagan.

btdg said:
I felt very sorry for the bloke. Sat on the bench for the first quarter, then Pagan throws him on for his first run - straight into the center square, with Richmond on a roll, having kicked 2 goals in a row. His center square partners? Bentick and Scotland, neither of whom are top-quality center square players. That was in the second quarter- Richmond promptly piled on 7 goals, and you could see the poor guy's confidence just get shattered. First possession he was in the game, his direct opponent took the ball away from the middle, kicked it forward, then ran on, got the ball back and kicked a goal. By the time he did get it, he was like a walking corpse, just too scared to do anything with it.

What an absolutely crap coaching move by Pagan though. Guy in his first game, goes straight into the center square? No chance to play himself into the pace of the game, get used to the tempo of AFL football, just straight into the heat. Not only that, but he goes in alongside two young and relatively weak players; why not play him with Stevens, or Kouta, or someone who would at least draw the opposition attention a bit and let him find his feet. Then, with Richmond smashing us out of the middle, he gets left there for 7 straight goals! Cost us the game, not to mention ruining what could well be Smith's only chance to play AFL football. I reckon he deserves another shot, but I can't see him proving much in 2 weeks. Poor show by Pagan.

Not everything is Dennis Pagan's fault. Smith is a mid-fielder and any mid-fielder worth his salt wants to be in the centre-square where the action is. With the small ammount of time he had, he didn't cut it. Maybe he will this week, maybe he won't. But it will be his talent, and ability to perform under pressure, that will determine whether he makes it... Not the bloke in the coaches box.

Smith isn't nearly as good as some people believe. He has a lot of heart, but so does David Teague and they both have the same problem, they're not quick enough for the new style of AFL football.

btdg said:

Stroke of genius. Hard thing tanking discreetly.

He played 4 minutes first qtr 10 min 2nd qtr 10 min 3rd and 18 min last. Dont blame him for the 2nd qtr fade.

Blah Blah Blue said:
Copped some attention from Tivendale and others in the middle at centre bounces and seemed to handle that OK

What. Tivendale hit him with a feather duster.
44mins of game time is a complete joke!
Pagan should chuck him in the middle at the opening bounce this week with the simple instuctions "See the ball, get the ball, use the ball, you have 120 minutes kick some ar5e"
He will probably get another 44 minutes this week if isn't dropped.

OZBomb said:
Not everything is Dennis Pagan's fault. Smith is a mid-fielder and any mid-fielder worth his salt wants to be in the centre-square where the action is. With the small ammount of time he had, he didn't cut it. Maybe he will this week, maybe he won't. But it will be his talent, and ability to perform under pressure, that will determine whether he makes it... Not the bloke in the coaches box.

Smith isn't nearly as good as some people believe. He has a lot of heart, but so does David Teague and they both have the same problem, they're not quick enough for the new style of AFL football.

Of course a midfielder wants to be in the thick of the action. But its common sense that you don't put a guy in his first game, straight off the bench, into the middle of the ground. Give him a quarter on a flank or in the pocket so he can read the pace of the game, maybe get a cheap touch and some confidence, then let him run.

Secondly, if you do throw him in the center, put some experienced guys in there with him who will at least draw some attention from their opponents and protect him a bit. Put Kouta in there for a 5 minute burst, or Stevens to draw a tag, or even Lappin or Houlihan to draw some attention. Putting Smith in there at the same time as Bentick (and Scotland playing the receiver role) was just cruel.

Third mistake was leaving him there. First play, his direct opponent gets a clearance, runs forward, kicks goal. 7 goals to nil later and the change gets made. By my reckoning, 3 goals in a row should be an automatic change, regardless of who is there. 7 goals and the game is gone.

Based on what I saw, I agree that Smith isn't as good as people say. But he is a good kid, he played his guts out and deserved his first (and possibly only) taste of AFL football to be memorable; he was offered up on a platter and torn apart, and if Pagan didn't see that coming he isn't up to coaching at this level. If it was a deliberate ploy to tank the game, then he doesn't deserve to coach the CFC, that just isn't the attitude we want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

btdg said:
he was offered up on a platter and torn apart, and if Pagan didn't see that coming he isn't up to coaching at this level. If it was a deliberate ploy to tank the game, then he doesn't deserve to coach the CFC, that just isn't the attitude we want.

According to you maybe.

What if his intention is to give the bloke a wake up call. "This is how friggin tough it is in the middle in the afl. Go away and absorb that and now that you know waht you are aiming for you have some clearer objectives and know where you are going!"

Or didnt you think of that. Is the first thing that pops into your head always what you go with.

:rolleyes:

audas said:
According to you maybe.

What if his intention is to give the bloke a wake up call. "This is how friggin tough it is in the middle in the afl. Go away and absorb that and now that you know waht you are aiming for you have some clearer objectives and know where you are going!"

Or didnt you think of that. Is the first thing that pops into your head always what you go with.

:rolleyes:

So Pagan deliberately allowed the opposition to pile on 7 unanswered goals, in a game we were leading at the time, in order to teach a lesson to a kid playing his first game of football?

If so, why not pull him after 3? Damn, after the first center bounce I reckon he got the point. Lesson learnt, now go away and work? Why leave him there for so long? By the sixth or seventh center bounce, you could see his confidence was shot. He got his hands on the ball and spat it straight out.

If Pagan's motivation was truly to teach him some sort of lesson, then we're in even worse shape than I thought. You seriously believe a coach throws away a game of football to teach a rookie-listed kid who most likely won't be around for too long a lesson?

Typical Pagan

He was interviewed before the game on 3AW

Tony Shaw asked/commented to him "No doubt Denis you'd be playing the kids the last few games and saying to them....Dont worry son, we'll give you the last 4 games to see what you can do. You wont be dropping them"

Denis reply "Yeah you're right Tony. We wont be dropping them.......... well, Luke Blackwell and jordan Russell have gone back to the VFL for a run but we havent dropped anyone"

Cannot believe this load of garbage going on in this thread. Go back and watch the replay and you may notice smith is of at the ten minute mark of the second qtr. Ican tell you that 4 more goals were scored after this. Dont pilr all the blame on a kid playing his first game of AFL. Christ there are some idiots that get on here, hiding behind thier own frustrations,and believing there own rot. To suggest that smith may not get another opportunity is a lot of crap. Give the kid a go and try being a little more positive especially with the young guys. To expect a kid to come into the side and pick up 30 possys is unrealistic, it just does not happen. Brock Mclean had 5 possys his first game look at him now, the list goes on, tempo adjustment is a big thing it takes time.I can only hope pagan gives him another go this week just to shut up all this stupid crap being talked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesse Smith's Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back