Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

mentally weak more so than soft but I guess it somewhat falls under that umbrella too
Going to be interesting to watch whether he changes or not in a home environment.

Definitely has the talent, but he have the mental toughness to become a gun.

There are no guarantees...

Except that's not true.

Buckley didn't want to go to Brisbane, and had agreed a move to Collingwood at the end of the season; but during his year at the Bears, he gave his all, averaging a goal per game, 23 disposals, was their best player nearly every week, gained 14 Brownlow votes, and won the Rising Star.
Exactly. Knew he was able to leave after a year. So big difference isn't it.
Wonder if Brisbane had told him he had to stay for 2 as per draft contract, what would have happened?
Wonder if North had told JHF he could leave after 1, what would have happened?
Wonder if Buckley wanted to leave a Melbourne based club to go to, let's say Port Adelaide, how much crap would have rained down on him from the Melbourne AFL media?

Exactly. Knew he was able to leave after a year. So big difference isn't it.
Wonder if Brisbane had told him he had to stay for 2 as per draft contract, what would have happened?
Wonder if North had told JHF he could leave after 1, what would have happened?
Wonder if Buckley wanted to leave a Melbourne based club to go to, let's say Port Adelaide, how much crap would have rained down on him from the Melbourne AFL media?
wasn't the reason he only had to stay for 1 is that he sat out the first year?

Going to be interesting to watch whether he changes or not in a home environment.

Definitely has the talent, but he have the mental toughness to become a gun.

There are no guarantees...
Crazy to think Crows were gonna hand over 3 draft picks for Jason Horne Francis.

Ironic as one of those 1st rounders ended up as Josh Rachele

Crazy to think Crows were gonna hand over 3 draft picks for Jason Horne Francis.

Ironic as one of those 1st rounders ended up as Josh Rachele
Dawson + Rachele + Rankine.

But we would have then have used other picks for Dawson (Soligo +) & Rankine (future 1st)

How many careers did Melbourne ruin? Or Gold Coast? Sometimes it's better to just say no, I'm not going to ruin my career languishing in this basketcase club.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He wanted to go number one, if he didn't want that challenge he could have said I'd rather stay in Adelaide, I don't want to waste your time, if you can do a trade with the Crows it could still be a win-win for both parties.

Melbourne was still a basketcase club when players like Petracca and Oliver, etc went there and they had to battle through the issues and they won a premiership.

It is not like he left no stone unturned, the vast majority of players wanted him gone because he was a w***er even to his own teammates, showed no respect to veterans of the game.

It is what it is, but don't make it out like he was some kind of martyr, he knew what he was getting into and he said he wanted the pressure/responsibility of being number one and he put the cue in the rack by July.

He wanted to go number one, if he didn't want that challenge he could have said I'd rather stay in Adelaide, I don't want to waste your time, if you can do a trade with the Crows it could still be a win-win for both parties.

Melbourne was still a basketcase club when players like Petracca and Oliver, etc went there and they had to battle through the issues and they won a premiership.

It is not like he left no stone unturned, the vast majority of players wanted him gone because he was a w***er even to his own teammates, showed no respect to veterans of the game.

It is what it is, but don't make it out like he was some kind of martyr, he knew what he was getting into and he said he wanted the pressure/responsibility of being number one and he put the cue in the rack by July.
cuts both ways to be honest. Back in that 2011 draft, Chad wingard wanted to stay in South Australia.

GWS had the 1st 5 picks in that draft. Port had pick 6.

Chad Wingard said, if he goes to GWS, he will serve his 2 years and head back to South Australia. GWS didnt choose Chad wingard. Port chose wingard at pick 6.

Cerra?

He gave multiple years to the Dockers.

JHF gave nothing a crack, carried on all season.

I wouldn’t mind ‘enduring’ a year of getting paid 200k to play professional sport as a teenager.

Freo didn’t make the finals once while Cerra was there. He played some reasonable footy, didn’t sook and requested a trade back after playing through a second contract at the Dockers.

Completely different scenarios.

Cam McCarthy says hi.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
glad cam mccarthy and adam cerra was brought up.

Adam Cerra did 4 years at freo and then went back to Victoria. Far from a dud player. He was and still is a good player. Pick 5 in that 2017 draft. And the amount of games he played for freo reflected that. 21 games in 2018, 20 in 2019, 17 in 2020 and 18 in 2021. So 76 games in total.

Carlton offered pick 6 and a future 3rd.

Cam McCarthy hoped he would head to freo. Looked liked it after no one chose him at the top 10 in the 2013 draft. then GWS got him at pick 12. Freo hoped to get him at pick 17 but chose Michael Apeness, which made sense as he was a KPF ruck.

Cam McCarthy had a 2 year deal for 2014-5, then eventually signed a 2 year extension. Played 1 game in 2014. Then Kicked 35 goals and 14 behinds from 20 games in 2015.

Freo offered a couple of 1st rounders for him. In a bit of Irony, one of those picks could of been pick 3 as freo went 0-10 in 2016 and finished 16th.

In the end, GWS did get freos pick 3. Freo got Cam Mccarthy, pick 7 , Pick 32 and pick 72

cuts both ways to be honest. Back in that 2011 draft, Chad wingard wanted to stay in South Australia.

GWS had the 1st 5 picks in that draft. Port had pick 6.

Chad Wingard said, if he goes to GWS, he will serve his 2 years and head back to South Australia. GWS didnt choose Chad wingard. Port chose wingard at pick 6.

It does work both ways and I am sympathetic for players who do not want to leave their home state. Rumour is that GWS was motivated to move from 3 to 1 in this draft because 2 of the top 3 had indicated they wanted to stay in Victoria and GWS didn't want to be left in the scenario of being only left with one who didn't want to go there.

I think honesty is the best course of action regardless if clubs are happy with it but let us be realistic, he wanted to go number one and he was given an 800k 5 year deal extension after just one year, he wouldn't have got remotely close to that unless he earned that kind of money, Daicos wouldn't get that kind of money and he had a vastly superior year. He had a difficult year and he cut and ran for the money. It is fine to do that, but don't make it out to be something else other than being a mercenary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fun fact: A #1 draft pick hasn't played in a premiership for the club that drafted them since Luke Hodge. He was drafted over 20 years ago now.

JHF didn't want to look back on a wasted career in 15 years' time like a Marc Murphy or David Swallow. He doesn't owe North a career of wasting his enormous potential at that loser club just because they drafted him.

Fun fact: A #1 draft pick hasn't played in a premiership for the club that drafted them since Luke Hodge. He was drafted over 20 years ago now.

JHF didn't want to look back on a wasted career in 15 years' time like a Marc Murphy or David Swallow. He doesn't owe North a career of wasting his enormous potential at that loser club just because they drafted him.
Why'd he choose Port then?

Last edited by a moderator:

That loser club who has 1 premiership since Port joined the competition. The same number as Port who ‘exist to win premierships’.

How is it supporting a loser club?

I have to agree. Port are known to foster "softer" type players, and it's probably why they had their sights on him.

Name them, curious to know.

I don't know how anyone could say Robbie Gray, Sam Powell-Pepper or even Ollie Wines are soft (anything but)

Sam Walsh gonna be a multiple premiership winning player at Carlton #justsayin

That loser club who has 1 premiership since Port joined the competition. The same number as Port who ‘exist to win premierships’.

How is it supporting a loser club?
Not being paying attention the last few years?

In Port's worst ever two year period, they still won more games than North have won over the last three years.

Sam Walsh gonna be a multiple premiership winning player at Carlton #justsayin

Admittedly I expect this will change next year, but so far he hasn't even played a final, let alone a premiership.

Not being paying attention the last few years?

In Port's worst ever two year period, they still won more games than North have won over the last three years.

Admittedly I expect this will change next year, but so far he hasn't even played a final, let alone a premiership.
Your club ‘exists to win premierships’ yet you are gloating about winning meaningless games and performing better than the bottom club?

Flex those pythons!

Your club ‘exists to win premierships’ yet you are gloating about winning meaningless games and performing better than the bottom club?

Flex those pythons!
Just because we’ve lost our way over the past decade or so doesn’t mean our club is anywhere near the level of shitness of North. That’s probably the more point.

wasn't the reason he only had to stay for 1 is that he sat out the first year?
Not quite as I remember it but happy to be corrected, I recall he was drafted in 1991, refused a contract 1992 and won his only career flag with Port Adelaide SANFL, then signed a 2 year draft contract for 1993 on the basis he would be traded after 1 year.

There's more to shitness than just losing games.
The debts of the 2 clubs etc.?
Memberships? Crowds against interstate sides? Constant and continuous calls to be folded or relocated to Tasmania?

The only reason North don't have debt is because they have one of the lowest football department spends in the AFL. Anybody can avoid having debt if they don't spend any money. Probably yet another reason JHF wanted out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back