Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

I think fellow North supporters need to stop posting garbage in this thread, it isn't a good look. It makes you and our supporter base look unhinged.

JHF requested a trade, he was contracted, we didn't have to trade him if we didn't want to. Overall, we are happy to end up with Wardlaw and Sheezel so stop with the offended shit. I'm a rusted on supporter and I could barely watch us play back then, the club was poorly run, we had an idiot as a coach we let some idiot choose for us. Back before he left I said I wouldn't blame anyone who wanted to leave and he wasn't the only one. Tarrant left, Higgins left, a lot of people left.

I think he made his mind up to leave and committed to it before Clarkson arrived, I think how we handled him was overall poor. Where we were back then and where we are now is chalk and cheese difference, there is a reason there is almost nobody still at the club in coaching or development that was there back then.

We have moved on, JHF has moved on... it is time to move on.

Back to JHF, I think he is super talented and I like watching him play. He ha similar traits to players like Martin and Reid. West Coast haven't learnt how to utilise Reid properly yet and I don't think Port has either. It took a while for Hardwick to figure out how to use Martin, when he was used as primarily a midfielder Richmond was mediocre. It wasn't until they recruited Prestia and changed the style to be a lot more pressure oriented because once you got out of Martin's arm-reach at stoppages he wasn't going to run you down or pressure you. He had a great highlight reel but Richmond kept losing and we knocked them out of the finals before their run of flags.

This was my concern leading up to drafting JHF, I felt our midfield was inadequately structured (with younger mids) to suit having a player like JHF in our midfield, I think Clarkson was aware of it as well and suggested playing him off half back for a year or two. I raised the same reservations about Reid when we were trying to trade for pick one, Wardlaw hadn't played a lot of football in his first year and we weren't playing a defensively accountable game in the midfield. I would be far more open to a play similar to JHF/Reid/Martin now after seeing Wardlaw play this year and with Phillips tagging and our improved defensive structure post-bye.

I don't think Port are defensively accountable in the midfield, great players in Rozee, Butters and JHF there but Fagan is an exceptional strategist and the way he picked apart the Port midfield in the finals was exceptional, whomever was playing on JHF was used to exit stoppages because JHF would hunt the ball and not really think about the defensive side of his game... and from watching Port this year it seem Hinkley was oblivious to how Brisbane was able to exploit the midfield structure and they have run into the same problems this year.

I don't think players like Martin/Reid/JHF can substantially change who they are, to get the most out of them I think you need to alter the structure of the side and how you cover for their defensive weakness outside of contested ball at stoppages. Dimma was able to tweak the structure, they had a lot of lateral pressure come from the wings and flanks, a number of players sacrificed their own game to play a defensive team role and created the opportunity for Martin at least to be that potent weapon that allowed them to win three flags.

I am not sure if Hinkley has the smarts to do what Dimma did at Richmond and Eagles are a long way off assembling the midfield that will allow them to make the most out of Reid's strengths.

JHF has looked fantastic at times this year and he is super exciting to watch, but you have to account for what his direct opposition is doing as well and if what you are doing helps or hinders the team to win. I don't think the problem is JHF, because Ports has the talent to compensate. I just don't think Hinkley is a great coach. I think he is a good development coach but he hasn't shown, to me at least, that he has the smarts to be a premiership coach and I think Port needs one to get the most out of the talent they have on their list.
Finally a sensible post from a North fan. Completely agree about Hinkley, for us to move forward (not just JHF), we need to look beyond Hinkley. Hopefully he resigns this year if we fail to make the final or win a final.

I think fellow North supporters need to stop posting garbage in this thread, it isn't a good look. It makes you and our supporter base look unhinged.

JHF requested a trade, he was contracted, we didn't have to trade him if we didn't want to. Overall, we are happy to end up with Wardlaw and Sheezel so stop with the offended shit. I'm a rusted on supporter and I could barely watch us play back then, the club was poorly run, we had an idiot as a coach we let some idiot choose for us. Back before he left I said I wouldn't blame anyone who wanted to leave and he wasn't the only one. Tarrant left, Higgins left, a lot of people left.

I think he made his mind up to leave and committed to it before Clarkson arrived, I think how we handled him was overall poor. Where we were back then and where we are now is chalk and cheese difference, there is a reason there is almost nobody still at the club in coaching or development that was there back then.

Back to JHF, I think he is super talented and I like watching him play. He ha similar traits to players like Martin and Reid. West Coast haven't learnt how to utilise Reid properly yet and I don't think Port has either. It took a while for Hardwick to figure out how to use Martin, when he was used as primarily a midfielder Richmond was mediocre. It wasn't until they recruited Prestia and changed the style to be a lot more pressure oriented because once you got out of Martin's arm-reach at stoppages he wasn't going to run you down or pressure you. He had a great highlight reel but Richmond kept losing and we knocked them out of the finals before their run of flags.

This was my concern leading up to drafting JHF, I felt our midfield was inadequately structured (with younger mids) to suit having a player like JHF in our midfield, I think Clarkson was aware of it as well and suggested playing him off half back for a year or two. I raised the same reservations about Reid when we were trying to trade for pick one, Wardlaw hadn't played a lot of football in his first year and we weren't playing a defensively accountable game in the midfield. I would be far more open to a play similar to JHF/Reid/Martin now after seeing Wardlaw play this year and with Phillips tagging and our improved defensive structure post-bye.

I don't think Port are defensively accountable in the midfield, great players in Rozee, Butters and JHF there but Fagan is an exceptional strategist and the way he picked apart the Port midfield in the finals was exceptional, whomever was playing on JHF was used to exit stoppages because JHF would hunt the ball and not really think about the defensive side of his game... and from watching Port this year it seem Hinkley was oblivious to how Brisbane was able to exploit the midfield structure and they have run into the same problems this year.

I don't think players like Martin/Reid/JHF can substantially change who they are, to get the most out of them I think you need to alter the structure of the side and how you cover for their defensive weakness outside of contested ball at stoppages. Dimma was able to tweak the structure, they had a lot of lateral pressure come from the wings and flanks, a number of players sacrificed their own game to play a defensive team role and created the opportunity for Martin at least to be that potent weapon that allowed them to win three flags.

I am not sure if Hinkley has the smarts to do what Dimma did at Richmond and Eagles are a long way off assembling the midfield that will allow them to make the most out of Reid's strengths.

JHF has looked fantastic at times this year and he is super exciting to watch, but you have to account for what his direct opposition is doing as well and if what you are doing helps or hinders the team to win. I don't think the problem is JHF, because Ports has the talent to compensate. I just don't think Hinkley is a great coach. I think he is a good development coach but he hasn't shown, to me at least, that he has the smarts to be a premiership coach and I think Port needs one to get the most out of the talent they have on their list.
Good post and im a North man

He slept in a North jumper on draft night ffs. Talk about theatrics.

Biggest red flag for me was the name change to be legally known as Jason Horne Fabian Francis.

He is a quitter, him at port will test his true character i.e. talent mid in an aging team on the rebuild/staying afloat.

Bloody well said! 100x more articulate and informative than the dribble that communist fellow keeps posting in here

TLDR tas old boy?😜

100% spot on with the first paragraph. (Haven’t read the rest yet) genuinely embarrassed by the way some have conducted themselves here tbh.

He is a quitter, him at port will test his true character i.e. talent mid in an aging team on the rebuild/staying afloat.
Plenty of players have left their club to go home or to look for success. Are they all quitters?

Dangerfield left the Crows and won a premiership. Don't see anyone calling him a quitter?

Plenty of players have left their club to go home or to look for success. Are they all quitters?

Dangerfield left the Crows and won a premiership. Don't see anyone calling him a quitter?

But certain mommy's boy quit after less than 1 year, who refused to do ice bath, quitter mate.

In the army, those types get the noose, so luck for him it's only football.

But certain mommy's boy quit after less than 1 year, who refused to do ice bath, quitter mate.

In the army, those types get the noose, so luck for him it's only football.
Why does the duration of time matter?

If you think about it objectively, it's better that he left after 1 year. It means the Roos spent less time developing him, and got more time to develop the replacements.

The alternative is that he wasted another year of a development spot on the Roos list, and then the replacements that you draft for him are now a year further behind - essentially extending the duration of the rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does the duration of time matter?

If you think about it objectively, it's better that he left after 1 year. It means the Roos spent less time developing him, and got more time to develop the replacements.

The alternative is that he wasted another year of a development spot on the Roos list, and then the replacements that you draft for him are now a year further behind - essentially extending the duration of the rebuild.
Exactly!

You'd rather a player get out so you can move on and develop another who wants to stay, rather than have them hang around clogging up a list spot just to satisfy an extra year on a contract to keep a bunch of fans happy.

Very fair and balanced summary Tas

Guess the north nuffies are going to go missing this week...

Confused High Quality GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back