Jim and Phil Krakouer - The Winners Rebooted Tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot & cold with his footy. Post footy ;
The downturn in Good's football career coincided with a boom in his business career.

It's a story that deserves a detailed airing in the Financial Review or BRW.

After stints as a spray-painter, panel-beater and truck-driver, Good's big break came in 1982 when, at 23, he put his house up as collateral to join Peter Johnstone – a former next-door neighbour in Tasmania – and start up a company called Integrated Packaging.

The initial small-time venture grew to become a world leader in the manufacture and distribution of stretch film, predominantly used to wrap cartons on pallets.

"I left school in Year 10, which a lot of successful businessmen seem to have done, so Integrated (Packaging) was probably my degree," Good says.

The company really started kicking goals when it patented a revolutionary wrap for hay bales. They had no competition for eight years and enjoyed worldwide success.

"When I'm driving around the countryside and I see them, it's a nice feeling," he says.

At its peak under Good and Johnstone, company turnover reached $100 million.

The pair sold Integrated Packaging in 2007 for a sum Good declined to disclose.

In the early '90s they had also formed the Goodstone Group, which now owns 10 hotels and the Big Bargain Bottleshop chain in Tasmania, and boasts a turnover of about $45 million.

Times have been tough in Tassie, but Good now plans to promote the island state's wines online. Asked whether he is a wine connoisseur, Good says: "Well, I sample enough of it."

Good owns racehorses with ex-teammate Mark Dawson and former Collingwood captain Wayne Richardson. Their racing colours are the Kangaroos' royal blue and white.

"It's an expensive hobby but it's fun," says Good, who won the 2008 Caloundra Cup and the 2011 Launceston Cup with Fast Future.

Thats an amazing story.

I was at the game and found it exciting and exhilarating with the Krakouers play leaving me gobsmacked. I got my 15 year old son to watch the replay tonight with me and his comment "gee the game was scrappy and really messy back then." "It was really windy...." was all I could muster as he walked away thoroughly unimpressed.

The other thing that is noteworthy about these 80s games is how quickly umpires called for a ball up and then how quickly they bounced it. The rules committee decided at some point to aim for less stoppages and keep the game flowing, so umpires were instructed to allow players time to get the ball out. The end result these days is that more players get involved in a scrimmage, the ball gets trapped and then the ball up is inevitable, but now with at least 30 players involved, leading to repeat stoppages. The aim to have less stoppages has resulted in more stoppages. If the umpires of today did what they were doing 30 years ago and just called the ball up real quick and then throw it up before attracting a crowd, clearances would happen faster and there would be no repeat stoppages.

I just finished watching it on iQ and spent half of the time pausing it to find myself in Row C under the tin shed on the outer wing. What a day and what a great time that was to follow North as the 14yr old hero worshipping lad that I was at the time, decked out in my Rossco #4 jumper. Loved reliving it tonight. Arden St rocked in it's heyday!

Pretty sure that racism was rife through the league in those days and although I can't remember Phil getting suspended jim was regularly. Didn't he break one of the Collingwood taggers nose 2 years in a row. kerrison or gayfer I think
I studied wayne Johnson often gobbing off to jimmy when he rested in the forward pocket one time at princess park.......jimmy head butted him on numerous occasions then let fly with a sharp hook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to know the krakouer brothers set shot for goal percentage. My memory is that they were deadly and pretty much never missed set shots. Do other people agree with that?

I dont have their goal percentage for set shots but I do have thier overall goal percentage.

Phil Krakouer (148 games): 231.140 = 62.2% accuracy

Jim Krakouer (147 games): 236.150 = 61.1% accuracy

I dont have their goal percentage for set shots but I do have thier overall goal percentage.

Phil Krakouer (148 games): 231.140 = 62.2% accuracy

Jim Krakouer (147 games): 236.150 = 61.1% accuracy

Those stats don't indicate that they were elite shots for goal at all so there you go. Amazing how similar their stats are. I was only a teenager in the 80s but I also considered Jimmy the superior player. My memory might be hazy but I think Jimmy played a lot more on the ball and Phil played a lot more up forward. Does anyone else agree/disagree with that?

Those stats don't indicate that they were elite shots for goal at all so there you go. Amazing how similar their stats are. I was only a teenager in the 80s but I also considered Jimmy the superior player. My memory might be hazy but I think Jimmy played a lot more on the ball and Phil played a lot more up forward. Does anyone else agree/disagree with that?

Still both fairly accurate, I mean both spent time on the ball and to have an accuracy strike rate in the 60s range is very very good. A lot of midfielders these days have an accuracy strike rate in the 50s for example.

Also interesting that Jim's son Andrew was more accurate in front of goal.

Still both fairly accurate, I mean both spent time on the ball and to have an accuracy strike rate in the 60s range is very very good. A lot of midfielders these days have an accuracy strike rate in the 50s for example.

Also interesting that Jim's son Andrew was more accurate in front of goal.

I dare say they probably had a lot of their shots on the run or snapping but like I already said my memory is that they never seemed to miss set shots. Probably a bit like Boomer in front of goal. Do u know his goal stats?

I dare say they probably had a lot of their shots on the run or snapping but like I already said my memory is that they never seemed to miss set shots. Probably a bit like Boomer in front of goal. Do u know his goal stats?

Who's goal stats?

Brent Harvey (407 games): 480.308 = 60.9% accuracy

That's interesting as well. I would have thought that he was an elite shot for goal too. Surely there must be smaller players like Boomer and the Krakouers with higher percentages than low 60s or are you saying that low 60s is elite for those sort of players. Don't people like Lockett have percentages close to 70? Obviously he would have had a much higher percentage of set shots at goal I guess.

That's interesting as well. I would have thought that he was an elite shot for goal too. Surely there must be smaller players like Boomer and the Krakouers with higher percentages than low 60s or are you saying that low 60s is elite for those sort of players. Don't people like Lockett have percentages close to 70? Obviously he would have had a much higher percentage of set shots at goal I guess.

No no what I mean is - the closer to goal you are the better your goal percentage strike rate "should be". I say "should be" because small forwards like Ballantyne is around 58%.

So what I'm saying is that guys like Jim and Phil and Boomer Harvey - because they spend time on the ball, their goal percentage strike rate (which is in the 60s) is elite because they are probably not considered genuine forwards........only part-time forwards. Know where I'm getting at? It's a bit like a backman, their accuracy strike rate percentage wouldn't be high because they wouldnt spend much time up forward and wouldn't be good shots on goal - hence why they are backman.

Jimmy's son Andrew - was at 63.5% over his career.

My memory might be hazy but I think Jimmy played a lot more on the ball and Phil played a lot more up forward. Does anyone else agree/disagree with that?

Correct mate. Jimmy spent much more time in midfield than Phil. Both spent time forward of course but Jimmy popped up all over the ground, primarily as a rover in the traditional sense. Both bloody stars but Jim was elite and Phil more the flashy type.

Great memories and like Twinkletoes I was trying to find myself in the crowd without luck though. My cousin and I always stood between the race and the grandstand in the Arden st side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jim and Phil Krakouer - The Winners Rebooted Tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back