JLT 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you. It helps looking at the game and not just the stat sheet.

Also, I got it from interviews, training reports, and other pre season games
Like I originally said, what did he do yesterday to warrant round 1 selection? He's shown some promise sure but I don't think he's done enough to lock him in for round 1.

What we need is a solid midfielder who requests a trade to us randomly because he's homesick or something and we can get them cheap.

D.Swallow, J.Martin, off the top of my head.

Brad Hill cost Fremantle practically Chris Mayne or something. Can you believe that? Highway robbery! Even won their B&F. They've traded a speedy flanker and cashed in on a pure competitive midfielder in Brayshaw. That's on top of the talent they have in this area too. Hard not to be envious of that.

I think we had the draft you guys needed tbh.
4 Genuine mids.
Brayshaw has me salivating, Cerra and Crowden are looking really good, and Tom north is ticking along

Like I originally said, what did he do yesterday to warrant round 1 selection? He's shown some promise sure but I don't think he's done enough to lock him in for round 1.
No, in reality he's nowhere near it.

Fremantle fan checking in, was at the game while not many you guys did show some good sparks. Gov is still a great intercept mark and Ainsworth is looking good. Ryan had a good start which is what you want him to do in games. Even though it's good beating you guys it's only pre-season and reality has to set in. I enjoy seeing you guys play well and am looking for to seeing your new look team. Although you're gonna need to pray Nat and JK get back for Round 1 because I don't think you guys can only rely on Darling and your smalls. I'm hoping our good form transitions into at least a competitive performance against PA. Have a good day guys and good luck for Round 1!!!!
What's the catch?

Bingo.

We recruit players that we “THINK” we can develop into full time midfielders.
I call them the hybrid midfielders.
It’s a flawed and unbalanced implementation of how we should have gone about recruiting our midfield.

Duggan and Venables were never pure mids in the TAC cup competition.
Duggan played off a HBF and DV was a HFF , sure there both were given runs through the midfield but it was part of the rotations and neither players primary role was midfield duties. ( Side note both are very talented players .... just not pure mids )

Case in point in the recent draft we passed on a pure midfielder in Charlie Constable his last two JTL games for Gellong have seen him rack up 22 and 18 possessions. He is now honing his midfield craft NOT learning how to play it.
We for some #%*^ reason don’t draft natural ballhawkes .... cue my weekly Bailey Banfield reminder.

It’s part of why I don’t rate or have any confidence in our recruiting team as far as midfielders go.
They go players with potentially positional versatility over players who are capable of playing pure midfield roles. ( Yet most weeks we are beaten at stoppages, in clearances and in contested possessions.
Hard to get forward supply and entry if you don’t have the ball.)

These decisions are exasperated by the fact we just don’t develop player well period. Therefore the recruiting teams choices are not supported by adequate player development. The frustrating thing is that the pattern just keeps being repeated in successive years.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a difffernt result.”

Yet we keep doing it . :shrug:

Last pure mid was Partington but because he's a mid they won't play him.

Brayshaw in his first TAC cup year played fwd pocket mainly as midfield already had Taranto, Mcgrath and Florent in it.

Also, I see Redden only attended 9 CBA’s yesterday? I thought he would be in most of those.
Some CBA numbers to compare from each (source: FantasyFreako twitter)

JLT1: Shuey 10, Sheed, 9, Gaff 8, Redden and Yeo with 7, Ah Chee 4.
JLT2: Shuey 15, Yeo 13, Sheed and Redden with 9

Roughly same number of centre bounces held in each game. Similar numbers for Redden and Sheed in each. Looks like we spread the load more in the first game to greater effect?

FWIW can't see us winning many games if Shuey has a shocker. 11 clangers from Shuey (inc 7 FA) is just putrid. A firing Shuey lifts everyone else around him, but no one else can possibly pick up the slack there.

Freo have been lucky of late being able to trade in positional needs like McCarthy Hambley Wilson , all for a packet of chips each. Lucky to get rid of Mayne for good pick.
Its time we went hard for Mids
A bit of luck perhaps but their aggressive mindset in these dealings is something we've lacked for a long time.

Lucky that there was two incompetent teams involved in Collingwood and GC. Whoever gave Mayne that contract should be run out of the league

Maybe.

More recognition about what we need and what's available then go and get it.
Even when our midfield contained Fyfe and Neale we drafted 4 more mids, while not neglecting taking a forward (Dixon).
But also Cerra and Brayshaw could see Fyfe play at CHF a lot.

With Jason Carter on the sheds for this draft we have the flexibility to go tall this year, or grab an Ian Hill.
We have 5 rucks on the list. We're covered there for years.
Seem to be in a good spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found some interesting stuff in the Freo review thread:
Apart from his intercepting prowess McGovern is a doughboy.. one dimensional and not worth $1m a year. Sonny showed up his weaknesses today with consumate ease.
Do think hes overrated. Wouldn't go so far to say hes a doughboy though. Worth ~600/700,000 for mine.
He would be third in line behind Hamling and A Pearce if he came to us. One trick pony. If the ball hits the ground he’s buggered.
Exactly, Doughboy.. takes the easy options. Yes he can intercept better than anyone, but that’s where it stops..would you pick him over Hamling? I doubt it.

Should be noted that most people in the thread disagreed with them, but still, you don't hear "Hamling > McGovern" everyday.

Fremantle supporters up and about, why?

Because their club is built on a culture of failure and the supporters have to take any minor victory they can in order to find the will to get out of bed in the morning.

If we beat them in a derby this year watch all the peacocking turn in "pfft, of course they'd get up for their grand final".

What we need is a solid midfielder who requests a trade to us randomly because he's homesick or something and we can get them cheap.

D.Swallow, J.Martin, off the top of my head.

Brad Hill cost Fremantle practically Chris Mayne or something. Can you believe that? Highway robbery! Even won their B&F. They've traded a speedy flanker and cashed in on a pure competitive midfielder in Brayshaw. That's on top of the talent they have in this area too. Hard not to be envious of that.

Conligio is a fa at the end of 2019.

He is our best bet.

It was very hard to take any positives out of yesterday's performance. We were simply terrible and Freo looked good (albeit playing against witches hats). I liked Ryan's game (although it lacked a lot of polish and he had many clangers), his defensive efforts were really encouraging (as was his hit) given that defensive effort was the question mark on him. McGovern was solid and Barrass improved as the game went on. Cole tried hard but again, clangers everywhere. The real disappointment was obviously our midfield but also our forward structure. Our forward structure looks terrible without a key target at the moment. I am not sure Waterman is it (although he played quite well and will get better), I think we need a taller/KPP target. With Vardy injured, we should have given more time to Brander.

Ryan should play round 1, as should Venebles in my opinion. We need games into them and will have to take the good with the bad. I am fine with Waterman playing but he doesn't seem to be the JK replacement answer. Given Brander's lack of game time, I am not sure what we do but even if our midfield lifts to break even, I can't see us kicking winning scores very often with that forward "structure".

Maybe.

More recognition about what we need and what's available then go and get it.
Even when our midfield contained Fyfe and Neale we drafted 4 more mids, while not neglecting taking a forward (Dixon).
But also Cerra and Brayshaw could see Fyfe play at CHF a lot.

With Jason Carter on the sheds for this draft we have the flexibility to go tall this year, or grab an Ian Hill.
We have 5 rucks on the list. We're covered there for years.
Seem to be in a good spot
Oh yeh, not knocking your drafting or your recruiting at all, I think you've done well in most areas.

Yep pre season game only, but aren't they used for trying new game plans.

What i saw yesterday was the same old crap we saw last year, kicking long to a contest and hoping someone would take a grab out of the back line. The so called web was again burnt, Freo had numerous players behind our defense and as has become the norm, teams streamed through the middle with zero pressure, making it near on impossible for our defenders to stop the tide. And the delivery forward has not changed at all.

Losing pre season is fine if you can see them working on something new and different, from what i saw that was not the case, i saw the exact same game plan from last year that was exposed by the good sides. I never had us in for the 8 this year, we got lucky last year with Melbourne choking, didn't see anything yesterday or any of the pre season that has changed my mind, i'm happy for everyone to say i told you so at the end of the year if we make the 8, i just don't see it.
It makes one ask the question - is it the coaching or lack thereof?

It makes one ask the question - is it the coaching or lack thereof?
I thought the rumour was that we're over coached so the guys can't play their natural game. Whether it's the coaching or the guys on the field nothing seems to change as far as the game plan goes. We seemed to spend half the game yesterday kicking it long out of the backline straight to whichever ruckman was being covered by Sandilands only for it to come straight back in when they were inevitably outmarked

I see a lot of people think the JLT has decided everyones season.

I got bored at work and made a ladder from the 2 JLT matches.

JLT doesn't mean all that much.

View attachment 468858
Its our lack of goals which is an issue, and we can't continue to rely on Kennedy as the day will come when he retires. We need somebody else to sand up and for the midfielders to be able to get the ball into the forward line. From what I've heard not too much of this is being done.

Remove this Banner Ad

JLT 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back