Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In further evidence that the Dogs were playing to win, their pressure index (or whatever it's called) went up to 208 in the last quarter (from 168 in the 3rd).

League average is about 185 and anything above 200 is considered "elite", so they applied elite pressure to us in the last.

Unfortunately for them, ours went up to an "elite+++" 230 for the quarter!

Our overall number for the match was 203 (to their 185), which is clear evidence that our pressure switch has been flicked again.

Pleasing.

Reading that just gave me a Boner !

May have been a hydration issue towards end of hard running match.
Lets see what the experts say.
He only played 3 quarters is the worry

However playing a half, sitting out a quarter and then playing the last quarter full on is unusual and may have different impacts on players than they are used to.

I’ve spent a lifetime avoiding the pain barrier so I wouldn’t know

Do we know if Robbos ‘wobbles’ were heart related? We all assume so but I haven’t seen anything from the club stating that it was.
They have not said it was heart, but because he felt wonky and after the scare last year, they are taking absolutely no risks and running all the tests.

The noises were the doctors were being over cautious, but we will find out.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

In further evidence that the Dogs were playing to win, their pressure index (or whatever it's called) went up to 208 in the last quarter (from 168 in the 3rd).

League average is about 185 and anything above 200 is considered "elite", so they applied elite pressure to us in the last.

Unfortunately for them, ours went up to an "elite+++" 230 for the quarter!

Our overall number for the match was 203 (to their 185), which is clear evidence that our pressure switch has been flicked again.

Pleasing.

We might actually be as fit as they are suggesting, final quarters in warmer weather don't usually lend themselves to high pressure.

Western Bulldogs won a flag 2 years ago! And still have a strong midfield!
That hitout yesterday is bound to give our lads some confidence! What's left of them anyway! :smirk:

They have really cut back hard on the side that won them a premiership since then. They look very young now.

He only played 3 quarters is the worry

However playing a half, sitting out a quarter and then playing the last quarter full on is unusual
According to the stats in the Hun, Robbo played 87% of the game, which is about his norm I'd imagine.

Seems like they were mistaken in commentary. Listed as having had 3 disposals for the 3rd quarter.

he was well ahead of ross on the weekend and from memory the week before!
That's not true, Dunstan was pretty poor last week and definitely behind Ross.

He had a better game this week but Ross clearly has the runs on the board over the last few years where Dunstan has shown little if any improvement.

I wouldn't have them in the same conversation at this stage.

Edit: unless you are talking about clearances only, in that case yes he was

Last edited:
They have really cut back hard on the side that won them a premiership since then. They look very young now.

Reminds me of 2010 Pies although their drop has been more significant. Bevo probably felt he needed to cut pretty deep for the benefit of the future culture of the club. A lot of loose units / shit campaigners that have been culled.

Just watch the reply so I finally have opinions, you know, because I'm sure everyone is dying to know what I think.

What I liked.
-Bruce, Skunk, Robbo, Roma (around the ground), Savage, Billings, Steele, Hind and Joyce.
-Dunstan to a lesser extent, his numbers and influence were way up on last week.
-A Bulldogs player went to check Battle off the ball and bounced off his chest and wound up flat on his back.
-We may have been bullies at times, but that's much better than the amount if times last year where we let ourselves be bullied by other teams.
-We won.

What I didn't like.
-Paddy. My heart goes out to him for his health, but being beaten by Caleb Daniel in two aerial contests was shocking. He kicked two goals but both via frees that were from balls he should've marked anyway. I feel for him though, 8 concussions, that is seriously bad news, he could be having Koby Stevens style side effects soon, his health could have been seriously jeopardised already.
-Gresh. It was a blip on the radar for his standards so I won't lose any sleep over it. Still annoying to watch though.
-The free kick discrepancy, I liked that we played hard, but needed some restraint. Good to see Geary try to focus everyone around the scuffles in the last qtr.
-The ruck contests from both teams were pretty shocking. Around the ground Roma was awesome, but there were multiple Ball-ups where both competing rucks mistimed missed the ball which hit the ground and bounced away.
-Has someone filled the balls with lead during the week? So many teams have had shocking disposal moments this weekend. What the hell is going on?

Final thoughts.
-I prefer our forward line with Two talls and rotating rucks, leave paddy out for now. Maybe for ever, at this point I care more about his long term health than his career, and I don't even know him.
-Pierce Vs Roma is a nice straight swap for the Hickey Vs Longer debate.
-We'll be better with Brown and Steven back in, and I really hope Robbo is ok.
-Hind playing the role Joey was giving us in 2016 helps so much.
-2 wins from 2 games is nice, however both teams we faced were short on tall defenders, we weren't really tested in that area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not true, Dunstan was pretty poor last week and definitely behind Ross.

He had a better game this week but Ross clearly has the runs on the board over the last few years where Dunstan has shown little if any improvement.

I wouldn't have them in the same conversation at this stage.

are you referring to their inside game?

Ross is playing outside currently and Steven is a maybe for early rounds (the most important player still missing). I think with Dunstan he gets the ball with no time to look, it has to be split second decision making and on the whole he gets this right. He's not the guy you want kicking into the forward 50 so I'm happy that he dishes off to guys like Billings, Gresh and the like. No player has it all, you have to maximise their strengths and I think this is where the new coaches get this and are using him more effectively. Can he get better? He'll always have his faults but currently he's one of if not our best in and under player. He'll also look a hell of a lot better with Steven and Hanners in.
I realise no player has it all, but I just don't think Dunstan strengths outweigh his weaknesses at this stage. I don't see him getting a game if Steven and Hanners get back.

Anyway, he'll play round one and hopefully he finally clicks and start showing the improvement that he has lacked the last few years.

are you referring to their inside game?
No, overall game. Just realised you probably meant contested footy and edited my post.

He should be well ahead of Ross for contested footy as that's his game and he is no good on the outside. But he needs to improve his numbers from last year if he's any chance of playing in a full side.

I love Robbo but fear the club is on a hiding to nothing risking him out there. If something super serious happens everyone will be pointing the finger at the club, especially with this latest scare.
What more will it take to highlight the risk?
I shudder to think.
Seems an untenable situation.

The fact that they are looking at him closely and trying to get to the bottom of the matter is a positive.
If they find something it might even help him in old age.
Otherwise what? Wait until he 's 40 and keel over while he's cutting firewood or something?

No, overall game. Just realised you probably meant contested footy and edited my post.

He should be well ahead of Ross for contested footy as that's his game and he is no good on the outside. But he needs to improve his numbers from last year if he's any chance of playing in a full side.

yeap!

no denying ross is a better player than dunstan and has been for a long time now, but in terms of needing someone to go with Steele for that inside brute role, i think dunstan has owned that so far

which brings back my comment from before, it will be interesting to see how ross fits in, especially with stuv and hanners are back!

ross is almost in that monty role now, playing the sweeper

yeap!

no denying ross is a better player than dunstan and has been for a long time now, but in terms of needing someone to go with Steele for that inside brute role, i think dunstan has owned that so far

which brings back my comment from before, it will be interesting to see how ross fits in, especially with stuv and hanners are back!

ross is almost in that monty role now, playing the sweeper
The issue with Dunstan is that he is so similar than Steele you don't really want them playing in the middle together and that makes it hard for Dunstan as he only plays that one type of role and is behind Steele now.

This is why it would be great to see someone like Acres as least trialled as am inside mid as we know he can play various roles. I think Clark will eventually fit into this role nicely but he's still a bit off with his size.

I can't see Ross's role changing too much. He might spend a bit more time outside of the square on the wing maybe? I actually think he'll be a better player with Hannebery around him if he gets back to form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Back