Jobe Watson - 18 handballs

Remove this Banner Ad

No he isn't. Great clearance player, and he is hard at it, but he is very average at every other part of the game.

Maybe a 75-100 player in the league, but no chance he is any higher.

That's absolute crap.

He is undoubtably, by any reasonable neutral, in the top 50 players in the afl... easily.

Gun

No he isn't. Great clearance player, and he is hard at it, but he is very average at every other part of the game.

Maybe a 75-100 player in the league, but no chance he is any higher.

interesting.

considering watson is a better clearance player than ball, where do you rank him?

I'd love him at Collingwood personally, there is only so much a player of his type can do in a 100 point loss though.

I do think he needs to take it on himself to do something with the ball in a game like that though. Clearly his team mates were too unco to use it correctly when they got it so at some point he needs to leave his comfort zone,stop dishing it off for others to deal with and just go himself (especially as captain).

personally, i felt he did his job. his job is to win the hard ball and dish it off. that's what he's there for.

it was a combination of his teammates not running hard enough in support, and collingwoods tackling pressure that stopped this being effective tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While his disposal by foot has improved ..he is still average at best ...he should stick to handballing, can find the footy but being surrounded by duds doesn't help him ..he'd be a gun in a decent team.

yeah he was dishing it off but Collingwood players didn't go to tackle him, they sweated on the outside receivers and just about every player he handballed to got crunched

I have mentioned this on the essendon Board - And been laughed at.

The opposition wants to corral Watson rather than immediately tackling him - because if you leave space on the outside,his handballing skills and vision are top notch.

You try to get watson to kick at every opportunity - In saying that - Possesion wise Watson's figures are similar but his effectiveness in 2010, is less than 2009.

haha essendon fans gettin defensive :)
a gun footballer should be good in most areas of the game right?
so many times tonight he got it in enough space to kick long or take the game on and every time he just handballed off and gave his team mate the responsibility to create. what a captain, what a gun! :rolleyes: and dont say its cause hes at the bottom of the packs because im talking outside the clearences.
but he is a good inside mid no doubt about that :)

a gun footballer should be good in most areas of the game right?

Damn straight - I was really disappointed in his game tonight. I expected him to ruck, and then after winning the ball inside from his own tap, he should have been able to dish off to himself outside for a bit of run and carry before delivering into himself for a contested mark and goal in the forward 50....:rolleyes:

Damn straight - I was really disappointed in his game tonight. I expected him to ruck, and then after winning the ball inside from his own tap, he should have been able to dish off to himself outside for a bit of run and carry before delivering into himself for a contested mark and goal in the forward 50....:rolleyes:

I would have just settled with him hitting one target by foot, but yours is good too!

So i said outside the stopages and you come back with drivel like that. Yes hes an awesome inside mid but now your sarcasm just sounds like excuses and you dont wanna adress the real point.

It is inside mid vs outside mid though.
Completely different roles.

Agreed - It appeared the Collingwood players' roles were to stand off the pack, let Jobe Watson get the ball and then wait for him to turn it over.

It's probably the most efficient way of getting the ball against Essendon.

Does everyone realise he is carrying a calf injury? He can't kick because of it and he probably shouldn't be playing but the rest of their midfield is so inept he has to try to carry them.

Presti has the record, 31 handballs before a single kick. He did over 3 consecutive seasons I think it was??

No he hasn't. Hes had at least a kick in 222 of his 232 games and has had more kicks than handballs in his career.

While his disposal by foot has improved ..he is still average at best ...he should stick to handballing, can find the footy but being surrounded by duds doesn't help him ..he'd be a gun in a decent team.

So, even though the stats say youre completely wrong, we shall just take that on board as fact? Come on mate, not having a go but you gotta stop living in 2007. Youre the same type of supporter who would swear black n blue that Swan has no impact on a game, which is laughable at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jobe Watson - 18 handballs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back