Joel Selwood ducking his head

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selwood is an awesome player, but he is also a player who dips, weaves, ducks, throws his head back, and dives forward in 50% of the contests he enters. He also complains to the umpire when he fails to milk the free kick. Most players in the league don't do that but most clubs have one that do it a fair bit (like Pendles). But no one is consistently rewarded for it as much as Selwood(s). That's the game though. Too bad I say. He is milking a situation that no other player milks as well.

The only thing that I think is shit is when he drops the knees and throws his head into the contest and doesn't get a free, but then locks the ball up and no holding the ball? How the hell is that not his prior opportunity?

I am not sure what the Geelong supporters on this thread are saying. Are you saying he doesn't milk frees? I live in Geelong and my mates just laugh in my face and say too bad. But they all admit he is a milker but like many on here they argue that "technically" he doesn't duck.

I am not sure what the Geelong supporters on this thread are saying. Are you saying he doesn't milk frees? I live in Geelong and my mates just laugh in my face and say too bad. But they all admit he is a milker but like many on here they argue that "technically" he doesn't duck.

Every Geelong supporter know and accepts he plays for free kicks.

We mainly take task with the fact that every side in the comp has multiple players that do the exact same thing. Selwood is just better at drawing the head high frees than most, hence the thread (despite the factually wrong title). If any other player in the comp is doing the same, it's the same principle whether they get as many frees as Joel does or not. Pendles is doing it now more than ever.

honestly, i couldnt give a f***.

if he played for any other team, then the supporters of that team on BF would argue to lessen the negative.

if he played for another team, you can be sure that some geelong fans would be more than willing to join in condemning his actions.

its the nature of the tribalistic support that goes with football, which is further intensified on here.

my geelong supporter view is - he works high contact very effectively, and he rarely stops and pleads but just keeps going. there are times when he does plead to the ump, and it isnt great, but hey - sportspeople have been doing that for ever. mcenroe, anybody? djokovic berating the ump during the wimbledon final about a 'wrong' call (the ump was correct) that cost him a point when he had no challenges left? ponting arguing with the umps, etc, etc...

these people are competitive animals. i play social indoor soccer, and my teammates and our opponents are always questioning the umps, and asking for calls that arent made.

its a tribal, biased cut down of joel by some opposition supporters, and an over the top defence by some geelong supporters (including the classic 'well x on your team does it!').

somewhere in the middle is the (arguably) correct position.

50% of contests is a bit rich, but youll see what you want to see - if you watch a geelong game with the attitude that he is a cheat, youll see a hell of a lot of it. if you watch thinking he is a hard gun, you will see the rest of his play which is often sublime.

confirmation bias - we see what we expect to see.

What isn't in question is this: Selwood is one of the best players in the comp. If he wasn't one of the best players in the comp, this thread wouldn't exist. In that sense, that it does exist is satisfying in a way.

I was always told to get low, get your head over the ball, even if you don't come up with the ball, you might get a free kick. That logic has always been with me and I'm ok with any player doing that, as long as getting and using the ball is the primary intent.

Obviously I can't speak for all Geelong supporters, but of course he milks free kicks. So do a lot of other Geelong players.

The thing that shits me is the constant witch hunt - rather than talking about how ridiculous it is that we have gotten to this situation where players league wide are consistently rewarded for ducking/dipping/dropping legs/whatever else you want to call it - we instead discuss one particular player( or team - remember West Coast used to be the only team that milked frees :rolleyes:) that does it.

As many others have said - just don't pay the frees!

What isn't in question is this: Selwood is one of the best players in the comp. If he wasn't one of the best players in the comp, this thread wouldn't exist. In that sense, that it does exist is satisfying in a way.

Joel Selwood is not alone in being among the best players in the comp. yet his name is the only one of the best players consistently brought up as a ducker, play actor.

that's because for someone so talented his antics are an embarrassment to the football supporter's who used to think this shit only went on in Soccer. Now were seeing an AFL star master it and bring it out multiple times a game.

Rubbish. There was a thread on Ashton Hams ducking as well - a more god ordinary player has yet to grace the AFL field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally off the topic of Selwood, but on the topic of ducking, we saw the AFL community and the rules committee get drawn into this 'ducking' debate after the actions of Jordan Lewis.

Last night, I had the Rugby Union on, South Africa Vs Argentina. I was watching the Argentinians perform the 'Pick & Go' repeatedly. I note that this is a legal and much used tactic, and is really no different to what Lewis did. In fact, I would think there would be much more likelihood of spinal injury due to the sheer size of the opposition forward pack in RU. I have not heard about a spinal injury in that sport though, where this sort of driving with the head is so common.

Are we over reacting somewhat to all of this? Yes, I know about Casey, and it was terrible. But I also know of an aspiring actor from Geelong who became a paraplegic after being hit by a freak wave when having a day at the beach. Does this mean we should ban going in the ocean? Unfortunately, freak accidents will occur.

Last night, I had the Rugby Union on, South Africa Vs Argentina. I was watching the Argentinians perform the 'Pick & Go' repeatedly. I note that this is a legal and much used tactic, and is really no different to what Lewis did. In fact, I would think there would be much more likelihood of spinal injury due to the sheer size of the opposition forward pack in RU. I have not heard about a spinal injury in that sport though, where this sort of driving with the head is so common.

The pick and go only usually happens with a couple of metres to build momentum. It's part of the game and the guys train for it... they have necks like tree trunks and they usually have their heads angled to avoid direct impact. They also know exactly where the opposition is.

Bodies move much faster in the AFL, and the guy picking the ball up mightn't see the bumper/tackler, and isn't going to be expecting it. Would still be pretty horrible luck to pick up that kind of an injury, but the risk is there. In the end, AFL players can't legitimately be hit like that so they're not prepared for it... and that's what makes that kind of contact more dangerous in AFL than in union.

Good evening civilians.

I've been in contact with the one that goes by 'The Giesch'.
Finals 2013 will see Mr. Selwood awarded a record amount of high free kicks; as of week 1 of finals, any contact with Mr. Selwoods torso and above will result in a free being awarded. This is only fair.

Sincerely,

The Emperor

Hilarious that this thread has been revived after two years and is stronger than ever.

Hilarious that there is a thread further down the main board discussing whether Selwood is the best player in the game at the moment, or the second best. Some even argue for third or fourth best.

Havent seen anyone put forward Bryce Gibbs name though, the number one draft pick the year Selwood was taken by geelong......?

Joel Selwood is not alone in being among the best players in the comp. yet his name is the only one of the best players consistently brought up as a ducker, play actor.

that's because for someone so talented his antics are an embarrassment to the football supporter's who used to think this shit only went on in Soccer. Now were seeing an AFL star master it and bring it out multiple times a game.

Dont think there is a player or coach in the league that would not exploit the rules if they got a chance. Reckon Selwood is a gun and 80% of the time he is rock solid head over the ball and deserves to be protected. His guts are unquestionable. The other 20% of the time he is just smart to get the best outcome for his team - his leadership is 2nd to none.

Reckon if you dont respect Selwood you are truly one-eyed.

Blah blah blah, Selwood gets frees for high tackles... because he has won the ball first on most occasions.

If umpires choose to stop awarding them, good on them.

Instead of getting free kicks you watch what will happen. Joel's clearance hand balls will rack up and Geelong will continue to move the ball on quicker than ever. Win/win. The cats continue to improve and the rest stop whinging about it.

The umpires don't make him to be the great player that he is. Joel Selwood dies that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back