Coach Sam Mitchell on his players staging for free kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't ginnivan caught with that too? lol
barely a burn.

Since McRae started encouraging staging by calling it 'challenging the tackler' we've seen Tom Mitchell and Pendles start earning the staging reputation too. embarassing stuff. McRae is mostly to blame. Should've stamped it out a long time ago

I dont think you understand the term 'challenging the tackler"

Mitchell is a master manipulator. He's said this publicly so when the medianwill question every potential stage and give benefit of the doubt to the hawk player "why would they stage, the coach doesn't endorse it"

Pretty extraordinary comments on footy classified. Cleaning up the quote:

"I say to the players regularly, if you play for them you don't deserve them. It's the same thing with Sicily or Watson. Once you become that then you need to never whinge to an umpire again and you need to just play the right way and you'll get the free kicks you deserve in time"

This was while they were discussing Ginnivan. He's clearly saying Sicily, Ginnivan and now Watson have played for too many free kicks and have a reputation. And they're going to suffer the consequences until they change their behaviour and time passes for their staging to be forgotten.

I love the honesty. But how would you feel being publicly called a stager by your coach?

Playing for free kicks is not the same as staging.

Wasn't ginnivan caught with that too? lol
barely a burn.

Since McRae started encouraging staging by calling it 'challenging the tackler' we've seen Tom Mitchell and Pendles start earning the staging reputation too. embarassing stuff. McRae is mostly to blame. Should've stamped it out a long time ago
Daicos was rewarded for it multiple times in a Grand Final. Culture?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the so-called self proclaimed? Wizard carrying on when his side was 30 odd points behind as if he’d just won a Final in the dying seconds..
False. Watson has never "self proclaimed" himself as the Wizard. This is entirely the media's doing. It was started by Cal Twomey and Channel 7's commentators such as BT have enthusiastically run with it. You remind me of the clowns who hung shιt on Cyril because Bruce McAvaney said he was "delicious".

As for the the goal celebration... yeah... let's all pile onto an 18 year old kid for kicking a great goal in his 3rd game that put Hawthorn within 20 points of Geelong at the 12 minute mark of the last quarter when the Hawks seemed to have all the momentum, having kicked 2.4 to 0.0 and looking like a sneaky chance of making it a close finish.

He should've just hung his head in shame instead of trying to fire up his teammates with 20 minutes left in the game.

You tosser. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
False. Watson has never "self proclaimed" himself as the Wizard. This is entirely the media's doing. It was started by Cal Twomey and Channel 7's commentators such as BT have enthusiastically run with it. You remind me of the clowns who hung shιt on Cyril because Bruce McAvaney said he was "delicious".

As for the the goal celebration... yeah... let's all pile onto an 18 year old kid for kicking a great goal in his 3rd game that put Hawthorn within 20 points of Geelong at the 12 minute mark of the last quarter when the Hawks seemed to have all the momentum, having kicked 2.4 to 0.0 and looking like a sneaky chance of making it a close finish.

He should've just hung his head in shame instead of trying to fire up his teammates with 20 minutes left in the game.

You tosser. :rolleyes:
Was that the one for the free when Stewart flattened him after we’d kicked a goal? Like the Sicily one in round 1?
Oh, no they didn’t pay that faaaaaarken obvious one. Amateurs would be a complement

Only thing more embarrassing was the media making a story by going in to bat for him and the so-called self proclaimed? Wizard carrying on when his side was 30 odd points behind as if he’d just won a Final in the dying seconds..

Delete this post before more people read it and get brain damage.

Geelong train for it. It is a key component of their game plan.
We sit dead last on the average frees for with just the 14.3, so our return on investment is failing. But I counted four Hawthorn smalls staging and ducking on Monday, although I'll give Bruest a mulligan because he's normally better than that. Ginnivan, Watson & Moore though - yeesh.

We sit dead last on the average frees for with just the 14.3, so our return on investment is failing. But I counted four Hawthorn smalls staging and ducking on Monday, although I'll give Bruest a mulligan because he's normally better than that. Ginnivan, Watson & Moore though - yeesh.
The Easter Monday game always has the same response which can be summarised that all free kicks paid to Geelong are wrong and all free kicks paid to Hawthorn are correct

It's embarrassing
1712186586004.png

You don’t know what staging is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back