Coach Sam Mitchell on his players staging for free kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

We sit dead last on the average frees for with just the 14.3, so our return on investment is failing. But I counted four Hawthorn smalls staging and ducking on Monday, although I'll give Bruest a mulligan because he's normally better than that. Ginnivan, Watson & Moore though - yeesh.
We had Miers and Close setting the trend in the 1st quarter putting their heads into players that aren't moving and getting free kicks.

We had Miers and Close setting the trend in the 1st quarter putting their heads into players that aren't moving and getting free kicks.
There was no staging, ducking or throwing the head back in either of those. So both played the ball and were awarded 50/50 frees that could've not been paid but were far from the worst decisions on the day.

What that's got to do with Watson and Ginnivan flopping around like dying fish?

Yeah it’s a bit ****ing rich for Cats fans to talk about free kicks on the back of those ones, even if you ignore the guy that they just named a stand after.

There was no staging, ducking or throwing the head back in either of those. So both played the ball and were awarded 50/50 frees that could've not been paid but were far from the worst decisions on the day.

What that's got to do with Watson and Ginnivan flopping around like dying fish?
When did Watson flop? The tackle he gets injured from in the last minute is a blatant high tackle.

When did Watson flop? The tackle he gets injured from in the last minute is a blatant high tackle.

There were 3 or 4 obvious flops or head throw backs over the day from him. Less than Ginnivan but that's not hard. Your own coach even voluntarily brought his name up as a player who plays for them.

There were 3 or 4 obvious flops or head throw backs over the day from him. Less than Ginnivan but that's not hard. Your own coach even voluntarily brought his name up as a player who plays for them.
Watson doesn’t have to flop or throw his head back to be taken high by the sheer fact that’s he’s up to everyone else’s rib cage.

He will always get high free kicks because it’s going to he virtually impossible for a lot of would be tacklers to get low enough to tackle him properly in the moment.

Watson doesn’t have to flop or throw his head back to be taken high by the sheer fact that’s he’s up to everyone else’s rib cage.

He will always get high free kicks because it’s going to he virtually impossible for a lot of would be tacklers to get low enough to tackle him properly in the moment.

Maybe argue the point with Sam Mitchell? I'm only agreeing with your coach.

Though it's pretty funny seeing Hawthorn fans argue their own coach is making up that his own players are stagers.

Though it's pretty funny seeing Hawthorn fans argue their own coach is making up that his own players are stagers.
Show me where Sam mitch called any of his players stagers?

Show me where Sam mitch called any of his players stagers?
Lol. He said they play for free kicks and don't deserve to receive them until they "play the right way".

If you want to argue semantics over the difference between staging, flopping and playing for free kicks go right ahead. It says much more about you than anyone else.

Lol. He said they play for free kicks and don't deserve to receive them until they "play the right way".

If you want to argue semantics over the difference between staging, flopping and playing for free kicks go right ahead. It says much more about you than anyone else.
So he never said it. Got it.

So he never said it. Got it.
Chris Pratt Laugh GIF by Parks and Recreation

First Dates Rte GIF by COCO Content

Comedy Central Lol GIF by Showmax

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't think he put those names out there deliberately as a way of getting attention to the treatment they get. All he said he tells those players if you play for a free you won't get them.

He never calls them stagers

You hawk fans are great. Not great at basic reading comprehension but great nonetheless. If I ever want blind support contrary to all evidence I'll know what colours to pull on.

Have a nice day.

Mitchell realistically is probably having a bet each way.

I very much doubt he is calling his players cheats or stagers.

I would say he’s trying to draw the AFL’s attention to it ‘without drawing the AFL’s attention to it’ and try and get the umpires to question whether they are over thinking how they are umpiring a player like Ginnivan.

At the same time Mitchell himself spent his career with some of the toughest players of the last quarter century, in a team that was often feared for its toughness and while Mitchell himself wasn’t at the very pointiest end of that, he was as hard as most players and he would want to stamp his brand on this team as far as attitude goes so there would be some truth in what he’s saying and he absolutely wouldn’t want players to go out and actually stage for free kicks. He would want them to try and break tackles and earn them.

Mitchell realistically is probably having a bet each way.

I very much doubt he is calling his players cheats or stagers.

I would say he’s trying to draw the AFL’s attention to it ‘without drawing the AFL’s attention to it’ and try and get the umpires to question whether they are over thinking how they are umpiring a player like Ginnivan.

At the same time Mitchell himself spent his career with some of the toughest players of the last quarter century, in a team that was often feared for its toughness and while Mitchell himself wasn’t at the very pointiest end of that, he was as hard as most players and he would want to stamp his brand on this team as far as attitude goes so there would be some truth in what he’s saying and he absolutely wouldn’t want players to go out and actually stage for free kicks. He would want them to try and break tackles and earn them.
You’re overthinking it.

He was asked a question. He answered it.

Let me get this right.

Hawthorn's forwards flopped enough they weren't even paid the couple of frees that were actually there so Geelong got the rub and had a nice win on Easter Monday.

Now despite his own coach saying he didn't deserve the frees the AFL have decided Ginnivan will be paid free kicks again so Collingwood's going to cop it royally.

And you think I, a Geelong fan, am mad about this? This whole thing is beautiful!

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Sam Mitchell on his players staging for free kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back