John Anthony

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course this will be seen as a troll... and really well it sort of may be???

But I decided to keep this off the board whilst on the Collingwood list, but I had heard he wasn't very well liked by the players at all. It came out during the Lance Franklin incident at the nightclub with his chick a few years ago... but pretty well known he is considered a pretty sh** bloke.

He'd be a good fit at Carlton... He and Broke McLean would be 2 peas in a pod!

All that aside - best of luck Jack. It's been a tough year for him after the controvery involving his ex girl early on in the year and form dropping off, along with having trouble controlling his on field anger early on in the year... I hope he gets his career back on track. His conversion rate in front of goal was better than anyones at Collingwood - Has massive upside, and I hope he goes to a good home. I reckon Melbourne or Gold Coast would be good for him.

No suprise that he left.

Even though he kicked 48 goals one year we are a better team with the cloke/dawes combo up forward.

And no real spot for him down back, so he's best option was to leave.

No we wouldn't. He's a tosser who isn't all that great a footballer. I personally have nothing against him, but everyone in his junior football club disliked the guy. Would be shattered if the dee's picked him up!
Because all good footballers were the height of popularity at their junior clubs I guess?

The guy is fine, has no attitude problem and works hard. He kicks goals and chases hard.

His biggest issue is when the ball hits the deck, he is shot. With the rise of defensive forward pressure, unless he drastically improves that facet, he has a limited shelf life.

He'll turn out like Brett Prismall at Essendon.

Hard to fathom whether he is a shit bloke or not. From what I've heard, he was the only boy in the family of girls (parents spilt up), had few male role models, most of his good friends are girls. His only friend at Collingwood is Cam Wood, so he must have a personalty issue. When Collingwood drew the GF, he cracked the sads that he had to delay his trip to Las Vegas.

Not sure Melbourne would be the best fit. Petterd and Jurrah are better imo. They have enough 3rd tall type players. Throw in Dunn and Green can play a decent marking target as well. They need Watts to start building up muscle and to find another solid bodied FF type. Maybe he would be good depth but I think his best bet is somewhere where he can play the 3rd tall rather than be another undersized key forward.

Maybe Carlton is the best fit:

HF: Yarran/resting mid - Waite - Garlett
F: Betts - Henderson - Anthony

That's a good mix imo.

He will probably get picked up, but I see a limited future. He got sorted out as a forward in 09 and struggled to get a kick on decent full backs.

My impression is that he lacks footy smarts and is not adaptable enough to change his game.

He would be perfect at Melbourne.

If he goes into the PSD, I can't see Richmond or Melbourne passing up on him.

Why do you think he would be perfect for Melbourne? As a HFF or a FP?

He's too small for a FF and imho Melbourne need a big key forward. They've got Dunn, Petterd, Green, Watts, Jurrah, Wonnamaeri/Bennell etc. They just don't have a big enough, physically that is, key forward.

Rumour has been on the Carlton board for a while (and on the pies and Dockers).

Personally I am not a huge rap for Anthony. Is very formula-based and does what he does very well, but has issue when playing on creative backs or clever forwards, as they seem to run off him with ease.

All the clubs with early PSD picks would talk to him, but I doubt any will pick him up unless he indicates a desire to play there. No point in having a plyer who doesn't want to be at your club

Good luck to him. I can't understand the bitterness people have for a bloke just trying to make the best of what is only a 10-15 year window for a football career.

Very good player and will be a good pickup for another club.

Hope one of the bottom feeding teams picks him up in the PSD, as I don't want the contenders getting any stronger.

Didn't fit the Malthouse mould of the defensive forward.

Obviously has his one weapon - his accurate kick. But other than that, when the ball hits the deck or is in dispute, Jacks defensive efforts and chase are below par.

Good luck to him in the future.

So you're saying he's one-dimensional?

Not sure if this is an issue, but did he fully recover from his neck injury from a couple of years ago? Was wondering if that's slowed him down / played on his confidence?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.
Simon Buckley, Josh Thomas and Ben Sinclair will also come into the mix next year. By the end, the players who have left were no closer to senior games than the guys who'll get games next year, and that's why they've left or retired.

You forgot to mention Luke Rounds. I saw soe VFL games, he looked awesome and there was a good 4-6 week patch where he was an emergency. Things are looking very good. :)

Because all good footballers were the height of popularity at their junior clubs I guess?

The guy is fine, has no attitude problem and works hard. He kicks goals and chases hard.

sorry mate have to disagree with ya there, he is possibly the biggest wayne kerr on the planet. If you saw him out at a nightclub and the way he acts you would know what I mean

Good luck to him. He was only ever going to be depth at Collingwood, with Brown/Reid and Dawes/Clokes holding down our spine positions for the next 10 years.

One of the reliable Pie posters has said his son spoke to JA at the races and he said he's off to Freo.

PSD to tell the story.

If Freo were interested, why didn't they request him in the Tarrant trade?

I think he goes through the PSD, he won't make it to Freo's pick. I wouldn't be surprised if Gold Coast picks him up at number 1 given Nathan Ablett has been a bust at full forward.

I think he goes through the PSD, he won't make it to Freo's pick. I wouldn't be surprised if Gold Coast picks him up at number 1 given Nathan Ablett has been a bust at full forward.

No idea why not? Would have made sense.

They probably did, and Collingwood probably then demanded more. Notoriously difficult club to deal with at the trade table, nothing would surprise me, especially given they had the upper hand in the Tarrant talks.

Personally, I think if it's based on talent alone he's worth a shot. If he gets back to his 09 form in the goalsquare, perfect, just what we need. But if he feels more comfortable as a backman, also handy for us. But it's hard to dismiss all the stories too, and given some of our not so brilliant recent history in player behaviour management there are doubts.

However given both Alan Richardson and Gavin Brown had a fair bit to do with Jack at Collingwood, you'd expect their opinion to hold a lot of weight with our coaching staff, and on a personal level would play some role in Jack's decision whether or not to choose us. If they say we should go after him, then let's get it done. If they say no, then we should stay away.

They probably did, and Collingwood probably then demanded more. Notoriously difficult club to deal with at the trade table, nothing would surprise me, especially given they had the upper hand in the Tarrant talks.

stay away.

No more difficult to deal with that carlton were with ryan okeefe and Robert Warnock.

He was never going to thrive under a Malthouse (or Buckley, for that matter) regime.

He's a very different sort of cat.
Different enough to get his teammates off-side?

The last thing young teams need is such 'destablising' factors. And Carlton isn't exactly renowned for its leadership. Might be good for Brisbane?

No more difficult to deal with that carlton were with ryan okeefe and Robert Warnock.

We were? Hmm. News to me. Still, I'd call a 2nd round pick for a then unproven ruckman (far more than what we got for Jacobs) far more fair than the shit Collingwood offered to us for Fevola (2nd/3rd rd pick plus fringe player IIRC). No idea what we offered for O'Keefe but would love to be enlightened. But pissing contest aside, Collingwood are tough at the trade table, FACT. The reaming Freo got in the Tarrant trade just being the latest example, and I'm sure if Freo asked for Anthony too they'd have been just as ruthless on that front too.

Love the selective quoting too. Nice :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

John Anthony

Remove this Banner Ad

Back