John Worsfold is doing okay!!!– The season so far

Remove this Banner Ad

GO EAGLES

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This in my opinion is what has happened so far.

1. Fairly good pre-season.
Notables – Cox is underdone, Lynch not in top form. Could be his new baby.
Swift underdone. Gets a haircut which gets rid of his strength
No Houlihan is a big little disaster.

Brisbane vs Eagles.
Worrying that Cox and Swift might not be ready. Lynch not in form.
I am worried they might not win.
Proved to be the case.
Last quarter fadeout a worry. Out muscled in the last quater.
Performance by Shuey – encouraging for future. Masten not in the play although going okay.

Eagles vs Port.
First bit of bad luck – Le Cras is injured and out . Huge loss!!
A certain win now uncertain. Eagles now vulnerable.
Terrible decision to leave out Lynch with no LeCras.
Could Lynch have got his energy back by this game?
Again a more determined Port sizzle in the last quarter.
A few clangers allow Port to win.

Eagles now under the pump.

Eagles lose both Hurn and Butler.
Massive losses for an unstable defense.

The match commiteeis uncertain whether to play the kids in the middle or hope the mature players can get it done to help the win-loss ratio stuffed up by the Port loss.

The win-loss ratio is infuriating Eagles fans.
Is this the reason for not gambling with the kids in the middle???????????

North vs EAGLES.
No chance of winning without the 2 steady defenders, Hurn and Butler.
Lynch again not selected.
The match committee don’t understand the energy Lynch provides which ignites his teammates.
Eagles are not working for each other enough , although they are going in hard.

Shuey injured mid week. For heavens sake cant this bad luck stop!!!!
His development and showcasing Worsfolds future plans unravel again.

Eagles vs Essenscum
Eagles rectify their forward line team by playing three talls. Hansen provides a little sizzle.
Hams comes in and gives us the modern angry ant factor. Some of his tackles result in goals.
Eagles play very well in the first half. Masten kicks well but not in the midfield.

KERR GETS INJURED . WHAT THE FU---------------------
2ND Half not so good. This type of play carries into the Sydney game.
Big trouble with no Kerr. No brilliant tough guy talent to replace him ON THE SMALL Sydny ground

SYDNEY VS Eagles

No Kerr means a huge amount of toughness in the middle is gone.
Nothing to replace him
No Lynch again. He is needed just to excite.
Massive clangers caused by Eagles not working hard enough for each other.

THE GOOD NEWS.

Schofeild has emerged. Speed and swerving ability.
STEVENSON MIGHT BE A FIND.
Swift grows his hair back and regains form.
We have yet to line up like we did late last year with Masten, Swift in the middle.
Could be the pressure of the win-loss ratio promise.
Sheppard is almost ready to come in.
Sheppard is a left footer, a nice change in our directions. He plays alittle like Guy McKenna
Shuey will be back.
Lynch will be back when they realise his energy is needed. Put him in the centre at bouncedowns with the ruckmen sometimes.
HOulihan will be back one of these days and his different style will compliment our hard grinders.
Hams has emerged from no-where and he is too strong to go missing for too long.

Basically John Worsfold has not yet had the chance to settle a side with the potential ingredients shown last year.

Untimely injuries and some match committe silliness at wrong times have unravelled the season.
Eagles are still not strong and experienced enough to handle these little disasters.
Without these little disasters we could easily be 3-2 or even 4-1 at this stage.

The jigsaw puzzle is still in progress for his vision.

By mid year maybe all the ingrediants minus Kerr can be on show and then we can see clearly where the Eagles are headed.

I wonder if we had of beaten port what everyone would be saying. But I beleive that injuries have cost us from lining up our best 22. I just think it is now time to look at the team that will be competing for the premiership in 3 years and start to play that team in there positions to get the 50 to 60 games experience.

If worsfold communicated his vision for the future and how we're performing relative to where we'd want to be, the supporters would get off his and the teams back.

As it stands, smart arse comments like "suck it up princess" show a complete lack of respect for supporters, further reinforce the belief that he is blinded by his own arrogance and that his stubborness towards the game plan and team selections will ultimately lead to the eagles languishing near the foot of the ladder for an extended period of time.

If worsfold communicated his vision for the future and how we're performing relative to where we'd want to be, the supporters would get off his and the teams back.

Pretty sure he has stated his vision. Just hasn't detailed how exactly he's going to do it. That's no great surprise as it's information you wouldn't want other sides knowing.

As it stands, smart arse comments like "suck it up princess" show a complete lack of respect for supporters, further reinforce the belief that he is blinded by his own arrogance and that his stubborness towards the game plan and team selections will ultimately lead to the eagles languishing near the foot of the ladder for an extended period of time.

What a load of toss. Do you even know what the context in which he said it was?

In reality, the Port game was the only real one that we should have won. We are only 1 game behind were we should be. A win against freo will help ease the pressure.

Could Lynch have got his energy back by this game?

It wasn't his energy he needed to work on, apparently he had lots of that seeing as he kept running up the ground. He needed to work on staying put and being a FF because that's where Woosha and co seem to want to play him.

Apparently Woosha believes we should of realistically been one win up on where we are now at this stage of the season. So mabye that lost game against Port is one he pencilled in for a win.

I think its the way in which we have lost those games which is the point though, not the win loss ratio. Even though a win loss ratio is (arguably) the most important at the end of the day. Still... we are a very very young team and we are getting younger each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"“Quinten’s one of a number of guys putting their hand up to come back in (and) Ash has done what we’ve asked of him, in terms of putting his name up with goals kicked,” Worsfold said. "

What a load of rubbish, they dropped him hoping he would kick some goals in the WAFL and he hasn't done so, but because there is pressure from the media and the fact that he has a dysfunctional forward line, he now reckons Quinten is putting his hand up????

Give me a break Woosha...

If Q is in the side this week Woosha's rep as a hard man who doesn't bend to external pressure will go out the window.

Having said that I reckon they'll pick Hansen, not that that's much better.

Worsfold is not doing ok.

This is typical contemporary AFL theory - be successful, then go through a period low achievement, all the while securing draft picks and then a return to the top ensues. So it goes.

But if you don't clean out dead wood to develop new players, and you pick duds and losers, then the whole edifice of the programme comes crumbling down. And then you end up doing pathetic counts of games played by the opposition in a bid to not look so hapless. All the games in the world won't make Spangher an AFL player, and if there's anyone as inappropriately named as Swift in the league I'd be surprised.

It hurts watching the team be so rubbish every damn week. I struggle to see the potential, let along signs of improvement. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't see it.

With Kerr out, Priddis will win more ball than anyone, but his disposal is so terrible - so persistently and effectively delivering it to players under pressure or directly to the opposition - that it's debatable that he's any kind of benefit to the team.

At the moment, the old stagers look, well, old, and the young players arent' showing nearly the amount of potential that other teams youngsters do. Only Richmond (and maybe Port) look like they might've exercised worse judgement. Adelaide are a different kettle because they have a truly horror show injury list, and have maintained an older list that is finally going towards the knacker's.

I think Nic is only a bright light because everything around him is, err, so dark. At least Hamms looks like someone who isn't going to roll over like a jailhouse punk each week. Kennedy is a proper player, and though Kerr and Coxy are great players in their own right, they're not going to be around for any future window.

And now with GWS and GC17 coming in, these mistakes are going to be compounded. How many West Coast players would make the Geelong or Saints squads, let along teams?

Worse than all of this - the raw skill level - the lack of heart is what is dismaying. And where does that come from? From the top down? From the club structure? From Woosh? From us, as supporters?

Every way you look at it, it's a long way back. I don't think we're even close to bottoming out.

So no, Woosh is not doing ok. But very few at teh club are. I'm just waiting for the fairweather supporters to stop showing up.

Scott Burns , this week turned down another two years at West Coast for just one year . Has his link with N Buckley obviously so if worst comes to worst Burns isn't around long term maybe for West Coast . I was hoping he might hang around and take over one day !

If everyone was truthful.
They would realise that the Eagles have gaps in their side.
Nothing to do with Worsfold.
Hunter is gone, Wirrpunda is gone

We have a nucleus of some excellent players but 6 or7 players short of being formidable in all positions.

we needed to recruit some more excellent talent and at least give them some games and hopefully they fill in the slots.
The players, Shuey, Sheppard, Hams seem to have alot of potential to fill some of these spots.

I think Schofeild has the physical capabilities to be excellent. This is a bonus.

If Sheppard shows his true colors, we will end up with Hurn, Sheppard, Butler to create time and calm to get the ball out of defense. Waters is even kicking the ball well.
Schofeild has the physical attributes to be able to swerve out of trouble. Brown must be played back and the occasional swingman.
He can swerve out of trouble as well.

The thing is - we had our future playing in the correct positions late 2009, and we have due to a number of reasons not seen that structure this year, apart form the pre-season and we looked good in the pre-season.

Mind you if we did not have one of those players like Hurn, Butler, Swift, Brown LeCras playing last year, that run of wins would not have occured as the strucutre and what the players can rely on in keeping possesion would fall apart.
That was the Eagles vulnerability which has been exposed this year so far.

Damn it, we were slaughtering Port in that 3rd qUATER, like I had not seen for a long while. Like we di against Richmond last year.
But there was no LeCras

Woosha isn't doing ok. 6 weeks in and he still can't pick our team correctly, I don't know what he did over the pre-season but we've gone completely backwards from the end of last year.

Agree with whats said above about the gaps in the team. Theres a good 3/4 of a team there at the moment, the rest will need to be drafted.

3/4 of a good team on our list. Not all of them are playing. I know you like to include Priddis, A.Selwood and Lynch in that three quarters of a good side as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

John Worsfold is doing okay!!!– The season so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back