List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't understand this rationale. If Sydney win the premiership, surely he will want to load up and go again with a team that will be within a window of contention for a number of years to come.
It depends on the player’s mindset and priorities. Several guys in our premiership team checked out after 2018.

No way it's a salary dump, we'll struggle to meet the TPP floor as it is you'd think
We'll be overpaying some guys now for sure
The list spot is more important to us as we regenerate the list

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A salary dump isnt only when you are under salary cap pressure. We will just move the money we would have spent on Darling to others (for eg Waterman and Oscer who are out of contract and nearly out of contract) and then free up money for the new Harley deal in a couple of years. We'll probably be paying Waterman like 1.5m next year or something silly and then he'll get like 150k in his last year.

A salary dump isnt only when you are under salary cap pressure. We will just move the money we would have spent on Darling to others (for eg Waterman and Oscer who are out of contract and nearly out of contract) and then free up money for the new Harley deal in a couple of years. We'll probably be paying Waterman like 1.5m next year or something silly and then he'll get like 150k in his last year.
When a salary dump is mentioned, it's usually instigated by the club pushing the player out.

This isn't the case here.

Having said that, I don't think WC is unhappy he's going.

Struts in
Conor Mcgregor Mma GIF by UFC

Starts slapping people around for their views on JJ.

angry family guy GIF

Checks notes.
all stars lol GIF by Lifetime

Jordan Jones, eh.
Loop Trump GIF
I’ll see myself out

He reminds me of an 18 year old TB.

He's a real clunk marker who flies for marks with great courage. 193cm, still quite raw and doesn't turn 18 until late November iirc.

I'd see him as a KPD with Archer and Jack Williams our long term KFs, but he can pinch hit forward too
I thought he was 191cm? In saying that I reckon he looks like he's grown and he definitely plays a lot taller than that. Great leap

I'd be looking at him with a 2nd round pick, both him and Mraz look pretty good. IMO we need mids and wings first.

I would be reluctant and very wary of drafting Mraz, love his potential, however the foot injury scares the sh1t out of me.

We are not in a position to blow any of our next three years draft picks on players with injury issues.

It’s critical we nail most of our picks in the coming years, as with the state of our list we can’t afford any more misfires.

Hewett is enough of an issue with a player who has lingering foot issues.

The odds of nailing draft picks are hard enough as it is, without throwing in a serious health issue, added variable.

Hope Mraz has a great career ahead of him, but for me I would pass on him and not be prepared to role the dice.

Its ridiculous how many more athletic he used to be. Moving with decent pace and kicking bombs from 60m.

Another one of our senior players that has completely fallen apart with age due to our completely incompetent S+C.

Bulked up too much (NN like).

Interestingly, not too many 3rd talls have made it to 300 (maybe Michael O'Loughlin, but most other plus 300 clubbers who played 3rd tallish roles, did so on a part time basis and were predominantly midfielders).

So for that reason alone, its an outstanding career.

I would be reluctant and very wary of drafting Mraz, love his potential, however the foot injury scares the sh1t out of me.

We are not in a position to blow any of our next three years draft picks on players with injury issues.

It’s critical we nail most of our picks in the coming years, as with the state of our list we can’t afford any more misfires.

Hewett is enough of an issue with a player who has lingering foot issues.

The odds of nailing draft picks are hard enough as it is, without throwing in a serious health issue, added variable.

Hope Mraz has a great career ahead of him, but for me I would pass on him and not be prepared to role the dice.
Although I agree to a point, but Mraz Injury was a Nav fracture and not a sesamoid issue or Plantar fasciitis. These heal without much issue where as the Sesamiods and Plantar issues tend to linger and be more tricky. I thinkMraz is worth a punt in the second round considering how big his upside is.

Bulked up too much (NN like).

Interestingly, not too many 3rd talls have made it to 300 (maybe Michael O'Loughlin, but most other plus 300 clubbers who played 3rd tallish roles, did so on a part time basis and were predominantly midfielders).

So for that reason alone, its an outstanding career.
I speculate how much of Waterman's rise this year resulted in part from his suposed weight loss? The game has become more aerobic

Although I agree to a point, but Mraz Injury was a Nav fracture and not a sesamoid issue or Plantar fasciitis. These heal without much issue where as the Sesamiods and Plantar issues tend to linger and be more tricky. I thinkMraz is worth a punt in the second round considering how big his upside is.
Mate sorry but this just isn’t even close to correct. A Navicular fracture that loses its blood supply is close to the most devastating fracture the foot can sustain. It’s career over.

I’ve only read reports but apparently Mraz’s most recent CT has shown the fracture has healed although the medical team will still want to review the images themselves. If they are all clear I agree with you we should look to select him. He will be very complementary to HEdwards as a long term KPD pairing with his athleticism and looks like he’ll be available after pick 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair call.

And if it was with a latter pick after we had already taken our fill of a combination of mids / attacking run and carry defenders and a wingman then maybe.

If it was the second round pick we may get from the Hawks, I guess I could live with that.
Assuming we use pick 3 , 13 and 23 addressing more pressing needs.

Before his injury I was big on Mraz and was hoping like hell that he would be on the board for our second rounder.
Then after his injury and his long injury lay off, I became less enthusiastic about drafting him.
While he can play both ends it’s as a CHB where I see his AFL future calling.

He is exceptionally good below his knees.

Speaking of talls, I will be very interested in seeing what results Gerreyn produces at the combine.
I have a nagging doubt as to his speed, otherwise there is a lot to like about him as a latter draft pick for us, for a tall his dual sidedness by hand and foot is impressive.

Last edited:
It's not a salary dump, it's a player who's played 298 games asking to go to another club for a longer term deal, and the club doing the right thing by him. You don't get abyting back for players who have played that many games. He'll be lucky to add 20 games to his total over the next two years.

You lie. Lynchy never moved to Melbourne to play for a team there. Did he? Am i getting old that my memory is failing me?
Then if it isn't a salary dump why don't we pay a portion of his salary to improve the draft pick? It's by all accounts a deep draft and we don't have a 3rd rounder, surely it makes more sense to go that route instead?

Mate sorry but this just isn’t even close to correct. A Navicular fracture that loses its blood supply is close to the most devastating fracture the foot can sustain. It’s career over.

I’ve only read reports but apparently Mraz’s most recent CT has shown the fracture has healed although the medical team will still want to review the images themselves. If they are all clear I agree with you we should look to select him. He will be very complementary to HEdwards as a long term KPD pairing with his athleticism and looks like he’ll be available after pick 30.
What I've read about it for the common man 100% recovery in 3 months, for an athlete 8 months. Although I am not a doctor .... :)

What I've read about it for the common man 100% recovery in 3 months, for an athlete 8 months.
We are talking about elite athletes whose livelihood depends on running. No idea where you are getting your numbers from but recovery is absolutely not 100% at 3 or 8 months. Very minor fractures sure, they usually heal but even those are not a given. When the blood supply is disrupted it has very poor long term outcomes. If Mraz’s scans are hot or the CT shows incomplete healing then as much as I want him on the list we need to let it go through to the keeper. O’Farrell is probably around the same mark in terms of pick but not quite as good of a fit with HEdwards.

We are talking about elite athletes whose livelihood depends on running. No idea where you are getting your numbers from but recovery is absolutely not 100% at 3 or 8 months. Very minor fractures sure, they usually heal but even those are not a given. When the blood supply is disrupted it has very poor long term outcomes. If Mraz’s scans are hot or the CT shows incomplete healing then as much as I want him on the list we need to let it go through to the keeper. O’Farrell is probably around the same mark in terms of pick but not quite as good of a fit with HEdwards.
Trying to remember where I saw it, but you seem better informed than me.... I'll defer my medical opinion to you

I reckon Archer should be moved back alongside Maric and Hedwards. His set shot kicking seems dodgy but he has excellent agility and clean hands off the deck, which would make him useful in repelling attacks. Perhaps his field kicking is better than his goal kicking too?
**** no, he's good on the lead, takes pack marks and is good on the deck. I'd just back him to improve his set shot

Then if it isn't a salary dump why don't we pay a portion of his salary to improve the draft pick? It's by all accounts a deep draft and we don't have a 3rd rounder, surely it makes more sense to go that route instead?
North dont need us to pay his salary lol
Theyre in the same position as us, theyre hardly going to pay up for no reason

North dont need us to pay his salary lol
Theyre in the same position as us, theyre hardly going to pay up for no reason
Assuming pick 40 is off the table the best we can do is add a swap of our F4 for 58 to the 64 being offered. Don’t think anyone could say that’s unreasonable.

Assuming pick 40 is off the table the best we can do is add a swap of our F4 for 58 to the 64 being offered. Don’t think anyone could say that’s unreasonable.

Getting pick 40 would be the greatest Hail Mary :sweatsmile:. I assume it would be a pick in the 60's similar to when we gave away a pick 60 to the Hawks for Sam Mitchell.

Edit - Just checked the actual trade. We traded away picks 52, 70 and 88 for Mitchell, 54 and 72. I don't think the picks swaps for Darling will be that crazy this time around.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back