Preview John Worsfold Medal - 2016 Winner - Luke Shuey!

Remove this Banner Ad

These are the awards that stats don't matter in. For those still bagging Lecras obviously he was given certain roles which we had little knowledge of and that's why the coaches awarded him votes.
It's very different club B & F to Brownlow type awards which just basically follow stats.
I find Cripps in the top 10 more staggering than Lecras.

With respect, contradicting yourself here though aren't you? By the logic of that first bolded bit, we on the outside, shouldn't be staggered by anyone in the top 10 should we?

Was there a player on your table this yr?
No, they generally only do a player at your table for season launch

They put all the players in one area and the sponsors & supporters in another. They ask you not to interact with the players for autographs/photos etc as the players want to enjoy the night as such.

It is fun looking around to see who you can see

No, they generally only do a player at your table for season launch

They put all the players in one area and the sponsors & supporters in another. They ask you not to interact with the players for autographs/photos etc as the players want to enjoy the night as such.

It is fun looking around to see who you can see

Yeah fair enough as it is about them letting their hair down and not being pestered all night.

With respect, contradicting yourself here though aren't you? By the logic of that first bolded bit, we on the outside, shouldn't be staggered by anyone in the top 10 should we?

Yes probably mate, and yes you are right. Club b &F are very much internal club things. Just getting a bit sick of the Lecras banging on here. if we had a half decent midfield some of our forwards would not be under the pressure they sometimes are. And when you consider that we have to get lecras and others to try and fill the void of our average midfield and play roles they probably can't play some of the criticism is a bit rich.
If you want hypocricy most on here think our best players are NN, Priddis, Shuey, Gaff. That is our Midfield!!!!

Lamb robbed again

Next year space cadet when he has another sponsor (and maybe another team)
Barrass won rookie of the year on the back of the work done by a great sponsor
I'm going for B2B next year with the other good Tom (Cole)

I think it's pretty crazy that you get an award for being the 5th best at something.

It'd be like my girlfriend saying I'm the 5th best lay she's had this week.

No issue with a top 5

5th best that day would be a bit disappointing though

These are the awards that stats don't matter in. For those still bagging Lecras obviously he was given certain roles which we had little knowledge of and that's why the coaches awarded him votes.
It's very different club B & F to Brownlow type awards which just basically follow stats.
I'd love to get my hands on the votes for all players across all games - it would be intriguing to see how the match committee rate players games. It'd also give supporters a mechanism to see exactly how much the number of games played influences the make up of the top 10

He's been a whipping boy for a while now, but surely it's almost time the club asked themselves what does Masten offer.

He's an injury-free midfielder in his prime and he can't crack the top 10 - Jamie ******* Cripps is ahead of him FFS.

Are we going to give him a free pass to play out one of the most mediocre 200 game careers in history? (He's only got two seasons to reach that milestone by the way).

He 'does his job' but it's not really helping

It was interesting that the 150 game "interview" the club showed was basically mcginnity bagging out masten for being short, weak/light, a shit kick at goal and always being caught holding the ball

He's definitely one who needs to provide more and ideally would be the player that the likes of Duggan should be pushing out
  1. It is a very tight knit group. You could see them all talking together, having a laugh and generally getting along
  2. They are hurting about 2016. From the board, to Nizzy, to the executive and the playing group. They are hungry for success. Hopefully this hunger turns into success on field
  3. Top 5 - really?
  4. Cransberg is a loss to the organisation

Firstly no mention of your conversation with Vozzo although Simpson telling Rawlings not to stuff up is a good indicator that even won't bother with gollum

Any way good that you sense the players are close but I'm interested in what it was that gave you the impression that the mood wasn't a happy one with the season. Certainly Simmo's speech was narky that they didn't meet expectations

I don't get why people have a problem with a top 5

Automatic removal from the board after 9 years seems too short imo. I get that they want to refresh personnel but 9 years can go quickly, players can be there longer. Further the difference between cransberg and his replacement was quite stark and Gibbs in his shirt speech didn't inspire confidence in the same way cransberg did. That policy needs to be reviewed

Firstly no mention of your conversation with Vozzo although Simpson telling Rawlings not to stuff up is a good indicator that even won't bother with gollum

I went up to Vozzo with a fork up my sleeve, but got stopped by security

Any way good that you sense the players are close but I'm interested in what it was that gave you the impression that the mood wasn't a happy one with the season. Certainly Simmo's speech was narky that they didn't meet expectations

It wasn't really a general impression, it was in your face.

You could tell from Cransberg's speech at the start, to Nizzy to each of the 150 game players to the top 5 winners, that there was an undercurrent of un-happiness with their season. They all mentioned it and you could tell that there is a genuine hunger for further success.

I think that the loss in the first final is eating them up

I went up to Vozzo with a fork up my sleeve, but got stopped by security

It wasn't really a general impression, it was in your face.

You could tell from Cransberg's speech at the start, to Nizzy to each of the 150 game players to the top 5 winners, that there was an undercurrent of un-happiness with their season. They all mentioned it and you could tell that there is a genuine hunger for further success.

I think that the loss in the first final is eating them up
Maybe you mistook their reaction to the music as unhappiness with the season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes probably mate, and yes you are right. Club b &F are very much internal club things. Just getting a bit sick of the Lecras banging on here. if we had a half decent midfield some of our forwards would not be under the pressure they sometimes are. And when you consider that we have to get lecras and others to try and fill the void of our average midfield and play roles they probably can't play some of the criticism is a bit rich.
If you want hypocricy most on here think our best players are NN, Priddis, Shuey, Gaff. That is our Midfield!!!!

So the guys whos finished 1st, 3rd & 4th in our B&F, which you're saying we should take as gospel?
Sounds like they are our best...

Had an awesome season, and spoke very well after winning the medal. He's had some tough experiences and lessons, and genuinely think he's one of those players that will keep improving for a long time. Seems a bit of a nervous character at times, reflected in how quickly he thinks on-field. It's the only thing keeping him from captaining the side, but I reckon he'd thrive under the responsibility if selected down the line.

Sorry to pick on you, but all the B&F result for Lecras has done is further emphasise two things.

1. Lecras is a downhill skier
2. We have terrible depth

Look at how he scores in our losses or away from home:

Rd. 2 loss away to Hawthorn - 0
Rd. 5 loss away to Sydney - 0
Rd. 7 loss away to Geelong - 0
Rd. 9 win away to Port Adelaide - 0
Rd. 11 loss away to bulldogs - 2 (first votes in a loss or away from home)
Rd. 12 loss at home to Adelaide - 0
Rd. 19 loss away to Collingwood - 0
El Final loss to bulldogs - 2

4 votes in 7 losses!! (plus nothing against Port away)

Meanwhile he's scoring 8-12 votes when he win by 60+

Yes, every team needs that player that is the cherry on top (Motlop, Hill etc.), but being that he is one of our most experienced players he should be doing the hard yards when the going gets tough, and he should be experienced enough to perform away from home!!!

Sorry to pick on you, but all the B&F result for Lecras has done is further emphasise two things.

1. Lecras is a downhill skier
2. We have terrible depth

Look at how he scores in our losses or away from home:

Rd. 2 loss away to Hawthorn - 0
Rd. 5 loss away to Sydney - 0
Rd. 7 loss away to Geelong - 0
Rd. 9 win away to Port Adelaide - 0
Rd. 11 loss away to bulldogs - 2 (first votes in a loss or away from home)
Rd. 12 loss at home to Adelaide - 0
Rd. 19 loss away to Collingwood - 0
El Final loss to bulldogs - 2

4 votes in 7 losses!! (plus nothing against Port away)

Meanwhile he's scoring 8-12 votes when he win by 60+

Yes, every team needs that player that is the cherry on top (Motlop, Hill etc.), but being that he is one of our most experienced players he should be doing the hard yards when the going gets tough, and he should be experienced enough to perform away from home!!!

Every side has those players though, Lecras has always been that player. And in a side that has never really been the standout side in the comp you will find more of them. Is his best days behind him? Looks like it but he is still panels better than Hill, Cripps etc. He plays because he has to as we have nothing else. How has darling and Kennedy gone in finals, not much better. We have many passengers mate and I agree that the club needs to act on them but it all comes back to that one main problem.....(Midfield)
Midfields are where other positions come into it, without a high level midfield you need super stars in the other positions and we don't have them. That 6 years ago our midfield is pretty much the same as it is now yet for 6 years everyone knows it is average except our coaching staff is a great worry.

Bottom line is Lecras should perform better away from home, but I bet my bottom dollar a large percentage of those games away are when we lose big. He should cop it but so should the engine room which keeps getting the thumbs up. Darling, Kennedy and Lecras cop it for their GF effort and maybe fair enough, but who is really to blame?? NN, Priddis, Shuey, gaff. They are the engine and they got smashed as a collective group. You can't rely on forwards without midfield dominance.

Snapchat-8333921625116355683.jpg
A toast for Luke "the people's champion" Shuey.

Was gonna do a short for Shuey but I just finished work and I don't like the idea of coffee grind and sweat tbh.

Every side has those players though, Lecras has always been that player. And in a side that has never really been the standout side in the comp you will find more of them. Is his best days behind him? Looks like it but he is still panels better than Hill, Cripps etc. He plays because he has to as we have nothing else. How has darling and Kennedy gone in finals, not much better. We have many passengers mate and I agree that the club needs to act on them but it all comes back to that one main problem.....(Midfield)
Midfields are where other positions come into it, without a high level midfield you need super stars in the other positions and we don't have them. That 6 years ago our midfield is pretty much the same as it is now yet for 6 years everyone knows it is average except our coaching staff is a great worry.

Bottom line is Lecras should perform better away from home, but I bet my bottom dollar a large percentage of those games away are when we lose big. He should cop it but so should the engine room which keeps getting the thumbs up. Darling, Kennedy and Lecras cop it for their GF effort and maybe fair enough, but who is really to blame?? NN, Priddis, Shuey, gaff. They are the engine and they got smashed as a collective group. You can't rely on forwards without midfield dominance.

Lecras only finished 1 vote above Cripps, so nothing between them.
Hill also had a relatively poor season with some flashes of good form.

I would have thought some players like Tunbridge, Karpany or even Lamb could have been given a go when we were playing a bunch of rubbish sides.
But I do agree that we don't have players smashing down the door to take his place (which was my 2nd point - crap depth!).

Kennedy & Darling are great in finals (moreso Kennedy) - don't let 2 incidents by Darling cloud your judgement like everyone else!

I do agree the midfield needs to improve, but it's harsh to point out Gaff, Priddis and Shuey - they've just gone back to back top 5 finishes in B&F (Priddis been top 5 for five years in a row I think) and Gaff won our player of the finals (silly award this year). Gaff was also very good in our finals last year and one who could have held his head high after the GF.
Shuey was another standout in our finals and doesn't deserve any criticism for his efforts.

The issue isn't those 3, it's basically everyone else under them - Yeo, Masten, Jetta, Redden, Duggan, Sheed (has an excuse) and Hutchings who were 2nd rate this year and none would get a game at the Dogs or Sydney (maybe Sheed).

I agree with most of what you say, but think it's harsh to say NN, Gaff, Priddis and Shuey are to blame for our 2 final exits...

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview John Worsfold Medal - 2016 Winner - Luke Shuey!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back