News JOM offered a week

Remove this Banner Ad

The crackdown has very plainly been something certain players have sought to capitalise on - not just going limp in the tackle but actively exacerbating downward motion.

I get that the AFL has to protect the sacred melons of all God's children, but "gamesmanship" like what this has generated has meant some pretty cleanskins are getting binned.

Adam Cerra? Jaeger O'Meara? These are not dangerous tacklers. These are prefects. These are fine and upstanding members of society who wouldn't say boo to a goose.

The divers are playing for frees, but dudes are getting rubbed out. It's shit.

I am glad we are challenging but I would be extremely shocked if he got off. The AFL have shown they now have a zero tolerance policy on these kinds of tackles now whether we all like it or not.

I am glad we are challenging but I would be extremely shocked if he got off. The AFL have shown they now have a zero tolerance policy on these kinds of tackles now whether we all like it or not.
The johnson one was a clear suspension. Im not really sure what Jom was supposed do? I mean he has some big pipes, but holding him up off the ground to prevent him landing is a bit far fetched.

There's gonna be like 4 dangerous tackles getting challenged by the look of it.

I'm gonna put it out there that the AFL is gonna use that to make a stand and try and push a new standard.

But somehow Carlton will get Cerra off.

The problem is not the zero tolerance on these kinds of tackles. If they genuinely exist then it's fine to have zero tolerance. The problem is that players are flopping into the ground and tacklers getting pinged when they haven't actually delivered the type of zero tolerance tackle that should be a suspension.

I say leave it to the MRP and take the free kicks out of it. Just watch how few of these tackles actually happen when the player with the ball has no free kick they can stage for. I bet my bottom dollar we would see very few players genuinely hurt by a dumping tackle in an entire year.

The AFL is so stupid that in trying to prevent brain injuries, they have made a farcical situation where they will be increasing them due to the flopping that is happening now.

The Laird tackle is the perfect example of what they're trying to stamp out. He picks Neale up, rolls him around and throws him into the turf with one arm pinned. It was graded exactly the same as JOMs.

All our aggressively overpaid KC needs to do is put them side by side and the AFL can save face. They won't let him off, but they should and could.

The Laird tackle is the perfect example of what they're trying to stamp out. He picks Neale up, rolls him around and throws him into the turf with one arm pinned. It was graded exactly the same as JOMs.

All our aggressively overpaid KC needs to do is put them side by side and the AFL can save face. They won't let him off, but they should and could.

That was soft as butter as well. Laird didn't really throw him into the turf. Neale flopped like Spargo and made it much worse. Guarantee Neale would have been tackled like that hundreds of times over prior years and it would not have looked anywhere near as bad. He would have stayed strong, braced, fought back, etc.

Players like Laird and JOM are not some kind of crazed thugs like Barry Hall. They are leaders and intelligent, and know 100% what the rules now are and were trying hard to actually not sling the player. You can tell by their genuine reactions by how perplexed they are. But what they can't control is the flopper, who they can't just let go of. It's become farcical now.

That was soft as butter as well. Laird didn't really throw him into the turf. Neale flopped like Spargo and made it much worse. Guarantee Neale would have been tackled like that hundreds of times over prior years and it would not have looked anywhere near as bad. He would have stayed strong, braced, fought back, etc.

Players like Laird and JOM are not some kind of crazed thugs like Barry Hall. They are leaders and intelligent, and know 100% what the rules now are and were trying hard to actually not sling the player. You can tell by their genuine reactions by how perplexed they are. But what they can't control is the flopper, who they can't just let go of. It's become farcical now.

The problem I have with all of this is I doubt they ever fox the concussion issues by suspending playing for ‘dangerous tackles’. We’ll just see 3-4 players suspended in the average week for the foreseeable future.

In recent years more players are looking to pin an opposing players arm to force an incorrect disposal , this leaves the tackled player more vulnerable to injury if brought to ground. Perhaps the AFL should ban tackling to ground if an arm is being held!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m secretly pretty keen to finally see all of Ras, Johnson and Amiss named in the starting 22…
I think you represent those who don’t want JOM to get off - he’s been amazing for us and a big part of our recent success.

Am glad the club is backing him and appealing.

I think the argument should be for JOMs case and the AFL as a whole is much like in Rugby that the angle and point at where it becomes dangerous should be of focus.
The angle and point of the grounding resulted in the tackled player to land with maximum impact focused on his mid to low arm/shoulder section. Due to the area the player landed and small fulcrum point causing that action, the player was in no real danger, even with the tackled player slightly over playing that force.
Had the tackle been done in a way with a bigger fulcrum point (usually done by lifting or swinging for a further distance with a low tackle point ie lower legs/Waist) it would of generated a bigger swinging action and more force would of traveled to his head along with the angle of the tackle resulting in the impact being high shoulder and head.
A tackle should always be hard with impact on the body and in a way to get possession of the ball to your advantage That involves the arms as well. This is true with all impact ball sports.
Safety of the head its paramount and as with rugby league right now taking out the legs is a no no as well but hard body on body/ground impact is what these sports are about.
Even basketball thats not considered an impact sport, has impact.

I think you represent those who don’t want JOM to get off - he’s been amazing for us and a big part of our recent success.

Am glad the club is backing him and appealing.
That’s a giant leap, has anyone in here said they don’t want him to get off? I also think he’s been great but if the worst case scenario is seeing all of that draft together then it’s not the end of the world.

Othere who got banned this year had elements of these things - JOM's didn't. Sure one arm was pinned but the other wasn't and he chose to hold the ball rather protect himself.

Pinning arms is a legitimate tackling technique. If the AFL are going to penalise tackles like this, all the ball carrier has to if their arms get pinned is dive head first into the ground and they'll get the free kick instead.
Is the "no prior opportunity" rule somewhere at the root of the problem?
It encourages the player to take possession when they have no chance of disposing of the ball effectively, to turn a loose ball into a 50:50 at least,
but further for the chance of a free by some degree of staging, dropping to draw the high tackle, simulating a sling??
Players would then try to keep the ball moving rather than seek the no prior stoppage??

I look at all of this from how do we protect the players from head and neck injuries?

Remove this Banner Ad

News JOM offered a week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back