Jonathan O'Rourke

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope he does enough tomorrow to demand another run, and repeats that for the rest of the year.

If he can just get through ONE year without a bad hammy, he might* be something.

*Might.

You can clearly see when he plays that he wants to go for the ball or the player but literally has to not as he goes at 80-90% to not ping his hammers again.
Even if that is increased slightly his pressure acts will improve & put himself in slightly better positions to get the footy himself or be in a better position as a release player who has a beautiful kick

If he's hanging back because of his hammies, he's done.

Hopefully he finishes the year well, gets another season and has a huge off-season, Cyril hammies style.

If he's hanging back because of his hammies, he's done.

Hopefully he finishes the year well, gets another season and has a huge off-season, Cyril hammies style.

I honestly think that his chronic issues have taken a lot longer than expected to work out his load output & training regimens for his strength & power v explosives & speed.

Don’t quote me on any of this but I’d suggest they got his mechanics wrong at GWS off the back of junior football & loaded his hammys wrong.
Disruptive issues ever since until the point of surgery last year.
I’d like to think he is building nicely this season...
Certainly deserves a break in his career as it looks done but far from over in my book.

I thought he was really unclean, even for a player with limited AFL-level experience. In addition, he is a pretty vanilla kick. How he went pick 2 still baffles me. Hopefully another game and it keeps clicking for him.

20 disposals (6k, 14h) and 4 tackles. That's a pretty solid game.

Would like to see that against time of ground

He had 75% of the time on the ground, same as Shiels. Whitey had 74% and the one lower than that was Burgers, with 60%, which is not surprising.

Mitchell really is a freak. He had 91%.

He had 75% of the time on the ground, same as Shiels. Whitey had 74% and the one lower than that was Burgers, with 60%, which is not surprising.

Mitchell really is a freak. He had 91%.
75% is solid. Seems to be increasing each week?? Was it 68% in first game this year? Good sign

Mitchell is a freak

I thought he was really unclean, even for a player with limited AFL-level experience. In addition, he is a pretty vanilla kick. How he went pick 2 still baffles me. Hopefully another game and it keeps clicking for him.
I also thought he was sloppy - especially first half. At club level, however, they know his skill level is top notch. I heard Smith talking about that a few weeks ago - he reckons Jono has awesome agility and is seen as a really classy player internally.

I wanted him to show more endeavour than he did today, just to demand the ball a bit. He stayed in his shell, and didn't take the opportunity to bully the young Freo players, many who are even less experienced than him. If he holds his spot for next week, it'll get a lot harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of failed draft picks in that Top 10 for that year especially.

Ps Did anyone else think that he looked absolutely stuffed after about quarter time?

I think he had a little niggle earlier in the year, but he got a full preseason, right?

Quite a few phantom drafts done by the media back in 2012 had him top 5, and a couple top 2 (from those I could find). Some had him outside the top 10, so his ranking wasn't completely uncontroversial. I wonder how much what we are seeing now is the product of a kid who has had the confidence beaten out of him over the last 6 years due to his constant stream of injuries. Kicking and clean skills in general were seen as major strengths by most draft pundits back in 2012, so unless injury has completely ruined his body in that regard, there is some hope that with more confidence he can still be a very good player if his body stops letting him down. Will take significant time to get that confidence though I would think. if he can play out the rest of the season without injury , I'd be inclined to offer him at least another 1 year contract. it is very rare for clubs to get a #2 pick wrong these days with all the effort that goes into talent identification, so I expect the class is still there if he can get a decent run at it.

I thought he was pretty solid for his second game for the season.
He was in & under a lot early getting the footy & was used pretty reasonably as a handball release.
I would have liked to see a few more kicks but I think that will come.
Plenty of rust to kick off at AFL level but well worth persevering with.
Keep it up Jonno!

Quite a few phantom drafts done by the media back in 2012 had him top 5, and a couple top 2 (from those I could find). Some had him outside the top 10, so his ranking wasn't completely uncontroversial. I wonder how much what we are seeing now is the product of a kid who has had the confidence beaten out of him over the last 6 years due to his constant stream of injuries. Kicking and clean skills in general were seen as major strengths by most draft pundits back in 2012, so unless injury has completely ruined his body in that regard, there is some hope that with more confidence he can still be a very good player if his body stops letting him down. Will take significant time to get that confidence though I would think. if he can play out the rest of the season without injury , I'd be inclined to offer him at least another 1 year contract. it is very rare for clubs to get a #2 pick wrong these days with all the effort that goes into talent identification, so I expect the class is still there if he can get a decent run at it.
Thats the thing about him isnt it. Everyone judges him harshly because he was #2 and he's been around for a while. But he's literally never had a chance to develop his game at the elite level.

We all understood Jaegers first year back from 2 out would he a waiting game and we realise that he's still not where we expect him to 12 months later, yet JOR is in the same boat. Hadnt played for 2 years and has played 2 games in 3 weeks. If he can just do enough to get another contract I want to see him after 20 odd games in a row. Then we can start to get a sense of what his football is like

If it was finals next week he wouldn’t get a game. But it’s not, so hopefully he continues to build up over the last few rounds so that if we do play finals, he does too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan O'Rourke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back