Traded Jordan Lewis [traded to Melbourne with picks 57 and 68 for picks 48 and 66]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Dangers body fails you are stufffed as well (see that's an easy game to play)

Losing long term players always hurts but the fact of the matter is both Sammy and Jordan would not have been offered contracts for next season, with a few other retirements to come at the end of 2017 it makes sense to let them go for better offers.

Clarko saw the writing on the wall and just fast forwarded the whole process and with the Hawks about to free up about 1.3 mill next year expect them to target something big.
Why then did they sign them up for 2017 only a few months ago?

If Dangers body fails you are stufffed as well (see that's an easy game to play)

Losing long term players always hurts but the fact of the matter is both Sammy and Jordan would not have been offered contracts for next season, with a few other retirements to come at the end of 2017 it makes sense to let them go for better offers.

Clarko saw the writing on the wall and just fast forwarded the whole process and with the Hawks about to free up about 1.3 mill next year expect them to target something big.
Lewis is only 30 so seems a bit young to be cast aside. Agree Mitchell at 34 has 1 year left and that would be it.

Lewis is only 30 so seems a bit young to be cast aside. Agree Mitchell at 34 has 1 year left and that would be it.
Yes it does but once the Demons offered a 3 year deal then Jordan was silly not to take it.

Clarko obviously told him that he did not see him as part of the next Premiership aside and Jordan knows this.

It still hurts of course but that's the way the AFL is heading.

Will be going after Rance for sure,when teams struggle,Richmond is their first target.

Why then did they sign them up for 2017 only a few months ago?
I am sure they thought we could contend again but as Clarko said in his pressers after the WB Final footy has changed and he obviously thinks we need fresh blood.

This was always going to happen it's just caught everyone off guard.

Finally....A poster who has hit the nail on the head with regards both moves.....A Lack of midfield pace.
Just wondering how the quest for midfield pace gels with the reported Brisbane trade? Hartung would be one of the most elite runners in the competition.

I for one am happy for Lewis to get to Melbourne for unders.
Been one of our best soldiers for a long time. If this sets him up for 3 years on good coin, more power to him! He know's he's always welcome back.

Hawks have won 4 flags in the last 8 years and 9 in my lifetime - seriously if I was a Hawks supporter I would be so far off caring, I'd be focused on the rebuilding of the club for the next tilt with O'Meara and Mitchell and wishing the best to some loyal servants. Some people will just never be happy I guess.

Just wondering how the quest for midfield pace gels with the reported Brisbane trade? Hartung would be one of the most elite runners in the competition.
I think he beat B Hills 3km time trial during the combine, didn't he?
Have never really loved him, but the little fella can run and run and run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot of reporters seem to be saying its a done deal, not many seem sure what for yet. 3rd rounder would be my guess.

GCS were willing to trade JOM in order to get Lewis. I'd be surprised if Melbourne didn't need to work a little harder than a third rounder. The FA compensation would be a second round pick for the deal we've heard has been offered.

So he may go for a third round pick but I would be surprised.

GCS were willing to trade JOM in order to get Lewis. I'd be surprised if Melbourne didn't need to work a little harder than a third rounder. The FA compensation would be a second round pick for the deal we've heard has been offered.

So he may go for a third round pick but I would be surprised.
Fair enough, just a guess on my part from whats been thrown around in the media. I sincerely hope we get more than a 3rd rounder, I just won't be surprised if thats what ends up happening. All speculation, and until we see the bigger picture at the end of this trade period (or possibly the next) it's going to be hard to say if it was worth it or not.

Hawks have won 4 flags in the last 8 years and 9 in my lifetime - seriously if I was a Hawks supporter I would be so far off caring, I'd be focused on the rebuilding of the club for the next tilt with O'Meara and Mitchell and wishing the best to some loyal servants. Some people will just never be happy I guess.

I don't think the issue is about the hawks supporters, I'd say it was more the phone call from Alastair Clarkson to Jordan Lewis.

After all his faithful service to the club, he thought he was getting the captaincy but he pretty much, Not to miss quote the great man Bill Lawry, got the old... "Got him, Gone! Yes.. Piss Off. Your Out"

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, tough one....Speedy wing-men with endurance aren't common....And along with Hill going, that would only leave us with Smith.

That's why O'Rourke & Whitecross would be more likely for mine.

Lewis opting for Melb over Gold Coast, has put us into a bit of a bind, trade-wise....Both he & pick 10 would have sufficed for O'Meara.

Likely a clue as to the hold-up on both deals.

3rd or 4th round and raise more questions as to why both he & Mitchell were re-signed giving up compensation picks.
Lewis is in the final year of a 3 year deal isn't he? Not like he was re-signed yesterday. Wouldn't be able to receive any compensation until end of next season, if compensation even exists then.

They re-signed Mitchell because their intention was to roll with what they had initially. At some point in time post season they have clearly decided to change tack, take a step back next year in order to return to contention sooner, while the younger core group will still be around.

34 is just a number. If you ignore that & look at his form over the last few years does he really look like a player with only 1 year left in him ? It's not like he's ever been reliant on his pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jordan Lewis [traded to Melbourne with picks 57 and 68 for picks 48 and 66]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back