Toast Jordy McMahon appreciation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Post #20 captured it in a nutshell - the club, the thread, and the misguided, shortsighted Melbourne supporters.

Pity it's closed, a bump wouldve been worth a red card.

ill tell it to the boys in a few years when scully and trengove feed
it down watts throat - and we win a flag!

Jordan mcmahon is a deadset hero in my books, i was ropable
in the dying seconds of the game, i wanted a loss - more than
anything! Enter mcmahon, now im celebrating over a few beam
cans, its fantastic.

Post of the year!

This sort of thinking makes me ill. Not you, the poster you quoted. They are not fit to follow this great game.
It sickens me, too, but I blame the AFL more than supporters. The reality was that Melbourne would gain a lot more from losing that game. How were supporters supposed to feel?

If Richmond had been in that position and done the same thing, I'd have been tempted to abandon the club. Because (a) it's basically sanctioned cheating, and (b) I couldn't stand to finally achieve some success only to have it tainted because of how we got there.

But I'm not sure I would have; maybe I would have stayed with the Tigers and started arguing "all clubs tank," like Melbourne supporters do now.

What makes me angry is the AFL's refusal to see how terrible this is. It's a sporting competition: the core value must be that everyone always wants to win. Without that, we don't have a sport: we have theatre.

It sickens me, too, but I blame the AFL more than supporters. The reality was that Melbourne would gain a lot more from losing that game. How were supporters supposed to feel?

If Richmond had been in that position and done the same thing, I'd have been tempted to abandon the club. Because (a) it's basically sanctioned cheating, and (b) I couldn't stand to finally achieve some success only to have it tainted because of how we got there.

But I'm not sure I would have; maybe I would have stayed with the Tigers and started arguing "all clubs tank," like Melbourne supporters do now.

What makes me angry is the AFL's refusal to see how terrible this is. It's a sporting competition: the core value must be that everyone always wants to win. Without that, we don't have a sport: we have theatre.
Some excellent points and you are right, it's not the supporters' fault.
I know rugby league has its problems, but at least the bottom teams are fighting their backsides off at the end of the season to avoid the wooden spoon. Parramatta only avoided it in the last round with a win a few weeks ago. Every single club tries to win every single game. But then there is no draft in NRL so they are not compromised.

Melbourne got what they asked for in Scully and Trengove, the problem is that their club are a bunch of pea-hearted bozo's. In short their culture is screwed. Scully knew this, he didnt do a Dustin Martin and stay whilst turning down the big bucks - who would want to stay at that crappy club ?

This sort of thinking makes me ill. Not you, the poster you quoted. They are not fit to follow this great game.

Every year we see similar attitudes here....'Supporters' wanting us lose a few more games at the end of the season to improve our position in the draft.

I dare say there are a few people here who would already prefer we get 18th than 8th next year, ignoring how a tanking culture probably helped convince Scully to leave, while the pursuit of greatness has clearly contributed to Martin staying.

Every year we see similar attitudes here....'Supporters' wanting us lose a few more games at the end of the season to improve our position in the draft.

I dare say there are a few people here who would already prefer we get 18th than 8th next year, ignoring how a tanking culture probably helped convince Scully to leave, while the pursuit of greatness has clearly contributed to Martin staying.

:thumbsu: too right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne got what they asked for in Scully and Trengove, the problem is that their club are a bunch of pea-hearted bozo's. In short their culture is screwed. Scully knew this, he didnt do a Dustin Martin and stay whilst turning down the big bucks - who would want to stay at that crappy club ?

Melbourne's culture worries me. Not only have the admitted to tanking without any real feeling of much that devalues the game, but their attempts at reviving their club with the return of Jim Stynes and his attempt at bringing pride back to the club failed miserably.
Sure they might have been able to demolish some of their debt but their culture (and development stage) IMO marks them for years more of hard times, and couple that with how that's going to effect their sponsorships and membership....the debt could come right back.

The AFL no longer cares about Victorian teams, I'm not really sure if Melbourne realizes this.
Say what you want about Richmond FC and all the stupid shit that we have done, but one thing we have over almost all other clubs except a select few is that we will never die. Melbourne....however.....might very well dare I say it.

Anyway back to Sanchez, my idea is that a bronze statue of him outside Punt Rd too.
However I reckon a more fitting statue is needed. A statue of Sanchez streaming (at Sanchez speed) off half back...unawares to the fact he is about to be tackled...with the tackler diving..his hands just about touching Sanchez. Sanchez face imparting his blissful unawareness.

CULTURE

CULTURE

....AND MORE "CULTURE"

Thats what wins flags ... not a series of high end draft picks

I know someone who grew up with Ross Lyon , went to school with him , is still best mates with him to this day and has nothing to do with him on a football level .

Ross Lyon did all he could to install the necessary culture @ St Kilda to win a premiership . Thats was his mantra

"Saints Footy" ;)

How close did he get ?

Then Kim Duthie came along and it all unravelled , as it always has with that lot . A lot to be said for Lyon that he was actually able to get them up again and into the finals given their off season and the way they started .

Ross Lyon is leaving St. Kilda because all the work he did to install a true culture has derailed in a very short space of time .

The saints had been talking of replacing Lyon for some time ... no secret . After all he had to endure the last 12-18 months , is that a fair judgement on him ????? ... so Ross took a pre-emptive strike to move to club where he will be left to coach as he sees fit without the politics and back-bighting that exists at Moorabin

He is a great coach who nearly got the saints over the line and 6 months later some within the club wanted him out ... Richmondesque if you ask me ... John Northey board .

This is just the start at the Saints , watch this space .

The point is , ultimately St. Kildas culture has failed them .... again

The constant tooing and frowing over this draft pick this and that draft pick that in the off season is just one great big yawn ... its superfluous ... pointless . The secrets to our success lie with our arrow-heads in the board room and in the football dept .

Those that dont subscribe to this this have either never played the game or dont have a proper understanding of it . ...IMHO .

Our fate will not be decided whether we have pick 12 or 18 this year ... nor has it been decided by Jordan Mc Mahon kicking a goal .

Im more inclined to believe that their core of players is getting on, lenny hayes got injured and the rest is history, Ross lyon got out while he could, he is a career coach after all, ...too right John northey esque, both selfish self centred *****, but hey I know that's probably a bit left field:rolleyes:
No , what it is naive and "GR" like.

when one says something is leftfield i tend to think its lateral thinking or and idea out of the box ...

Inferring that when a coach is offered a multi million dollar contract he should knock it back when technically he is uncontracted and could be out of a job next week (which was most likely the case) ... he should stay on for loyalty ... is not "leftfield" ...LMAO

You seem to forget the AFL is a billion dollar industry

Kudos Ross Lyon on his pre-emptive strike and securing his families future .

Kudos to Freo for securing a bloke who could very well give them the culture and direction it has lacked since its inception with a series of ordinary choices as head coach .

No , what it is naive and "GR" like.

when one says something is leftfield i tend to think its lateral thinking or and idea out of the box ...

Inferring that when a coach is offered a multi million dollar contract he should knock it back when technically he is uncontracted and could be out of a job next week (which was most likely the case) ... he should stay on for loyalty ... is not "leftfield" ...LMAO

You seem to forget the AFL is a billion dollar industry

Kudos Ross Lyon on his pre-emptive strike and securing his families future .

Kudos to Freo for securing a bloke who could very well give them the culture and direction it has lacked since its inception with a series of ordinary choices as head coach .

well thats a flip, two minutes ago you were suggesting he'd had a gutfull of stkilda, done all he could and with the infighting he had little choice...glad to see reality kicking in...Im a staunch advocate of a free democracylets just be fair dinkum on how people are judged. Facts are he left stkilda for a better offer, make of that what you will...funnily enough history shows that this has rarely paid off with the exception of Ron barassi's controversial defection to cartlon

The constant tooing and frowing over this draft pick this and that draft pick that in the off season is just one great big yawn ... its superfluous ... pointless . The secrets to our success lie with our arrow-heads in the board room and in the football dept .

Those that dont subscribe to this this have either never played the game or dont have a proper understanding of it . ...IMHO .

Our fate will not be decided whether we have pick 12 or 18 this year ... nor has it been decided by Jordan Mc Mahon kicking a goal .
Halle****inglujah!

.funnily enough history shows that this has rarely paid off with the exception of Ron barassi's controversial defection to cartlon

Interesting one that.

David Parkin is one success at Carlton. Was he sacked as Hawthorn coach or did he leave on his own accord.

Robert Walls from Fitzroy to Carlton got him a premiership but also got him shafted.

Ayres to Adelaide is one that is hard to judge.

Instances that support what you say are...

Ken Judges move from Hawks to West Coast ill fated.
Dennis Pagan from North to Carlton lost him his reputation
Robert Shaw from Fitzroy to Adelaide finished him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jordy McMahon appreciation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back