Confirmed Josh Battle [to Hawthorn as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with FA Compensation in the AFL is the Compo pick is almost always better than the player so the clubs are happy to lose the player when it should be the other way around they should upset their losing a senior quality player but they not.
Yup, and the secret herbs and spice recipe the afl applies only makes this more compromised as clubs do know what they need to do to get close to the level of compensation required.

But because it’s not publicly known, the afl can apply whatever decision that suits them on top of it.

The manipulation of the Motlop deal a few years ago to use that pick to get Ablett back to Geelong is the perfect example.

current AFL AVG salary is around 450k i think

i recall cap goes up about 30% so Avg salary would be around 600k.

hawks have definitely overpaid for battle (like we did McKay), but it's not as crazy as it appears on todays face value.

then the joke that is the afl better adjust the compensation picks otherwise all FA will go for band 1.

My initial gut feel when Battle was going is that he was confident the saints would get band 1 and not do the club dirty.

Then with the club snubbing Battle at the B&F i was thinking nup must be more to it and we probably won't get the pick.

Pleasantly surprised it worked out in the end.

Happy for the hawks too. He'll be servicable for a long time.

Win/Win :)

That also wasn't changing

FWIW, I had the Bolton trade as being 9 + 16 for Bolton + something. This news only changes what "something" is, and it isn't going to move the needle for either side.
Sooo we still get hurt. Freo get hurt more than anyone in these ridiculous compos

AFL's secret recipe to support struggling vic clubs strikes again. They really need to tweak rules so that compensation picks can't happen before pick 11 to avoid impacting on the other teams that didn't make the finals.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Or maybe your lot shouldn't have paid him so much.

then the joke that is the afl better adjust the compensation picks otherwise all FA will go for band 1.

theoretically the band 1 comp requirement should also go up 30% along with the cap

but the compo pic calculation is black magic. It's not clear at all.

Sooo we still get hurt. Freo get hurt more than anyone in these ridiculous compos
Really? You have a list in the premiership window and are looking to use your three first round picks to improve that list. The second or third rounder you were getting back might now be a third or fourth rounder.

No, just the Hawks front ended the deal.

Why are some Hawk's fans salty? You get a very good player without any pick cost.

pretty sure the AFL changed it so you can front load contracts to trigger band 1 compo anymore.

The compo pick is now calculated across the full length of the contract.

Would love someone to confirm if true.

AFL's secret recipe to support struggling vic clubs strikes again. They really need to tweak rules so that compensation picks can't happen before pick 11 to avoid impacting on the other teams that didn't make the finals.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app
You just made a GOP one of the highest paid players in the comp. That is why we are getting the compo.

Or do a proper free agency…

Lose a player? Great - the reward is free cap space to go grab another FA.

The fact that 16 clubs are disadvantaged because Hawks signed a player is ludicrous.

Inventing imaginary picks makes no sense.

Especially when we know the AFL makes the formula up to give what they want.

That's no reward if you already have cap.
I don't know why dim people keep suggesting that it is.

Its already a system where Buddy Franklin gets less compensation than Josh Battle, purely because his team was at the top at the time , and people lost their shit over that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? You have a list in the premiership window and are looking to use your three first round picks to improve that list. The second or third rounder you were getting back might now be a third or fourth rounder.
Having the picks we have, we've literally had the biggest hit to capital value of anyone. Not really debateable. Why wouldnt we be pissed off? Just because we are trading the picks doesnt make it less annoying and frustrating

Dunno man, I reckon he’d probably get you Pick 15 if you had to trade for him ?.

He’s a good player but he’s not elite level yet.

That's the difference between trade and free agency compensation though.
If he was worth 15, the Tier one is as close to the pin as you get through the current system.

He's actually just off his best year so far, and will probably improve.
I don't see the Tier one as a "win" i see it as a consolation.
Losing a player like him would be horrible if nothing came back.

Batt.png

It's an absolute rort bottom teams can get pushed back from teams that finish higher on the ladder for losing players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Josh Battle [to Hawthorn as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back