Confirmed Josh Battle [to Hawthorn as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you even read the message you quoted?

I did mate I thought I typed a message but it's not there.
My quote was with pick 8 your not going to get 2 x 1st rounders for it unless they are end of Round 1.

A lot of people believed that Battle's future pay was lineball for band one, without knowing one way or another.

It seems that those who had special talent to "know" he was only going to fetch band two, are the same ones who are outraged and are sure the system has been shonked.

As St Kilda is so offended by the concept of free agency, they should now do the honourable thing and reject the pick 8 compensation pick offered to them.
Clearly you ( and many others who have got the story totally a*se about face) didn’t listen to his speech.
Just jumped on the “ready to be offended” band wagon.
He never said anything at all about the compo and free agency.
He mentioned the inequities of the academies and F/S the way they are handled now.

No. Actually listen to speech. Bassat is incensed that teams like Brisbane get to skip the queue after winning a premiership to get the best player in the draft at only 80% of the price instead of paying a premium to jump said queue.
Every other club should be in furious agreement with Bassat on this instead of whinging that he said it.

It’s just another compromise in the league that this time your club has directly benefited.
Makes your president look like a fool.
So you think it’s ok that Brisbane is getting a future star that you should have had access to?
Bassat is far from a fool.
The inequities of F/S and academies in a so called professional comp are an absolute joke.

Clearly you ( and many others who have got the story totally a*se about face) didn’t listen to his speech.
Just jumped on the “ready to be offended” band wagon.
He never said anything at all about the compo and free agency.
He mentioned the inequities of the academies and F/S the way they are handled now.
Nothing to do with the speech. Cracking the sads over Battle exercising his FA rights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with the speech. Cracking the sads over Battle exercising his FA rights.
Not at all.
We made him a very good offer earlier in the season. He bade his time.
His right to do it. Then made him a better offer than Hawks.

But at the end of the day he misled the club and teammates into believing he was staying and then told them otherwise at the last possible moment.
Left a bit of a sour taste I believe.

Believe me, no one is upset about not paying a good, but not superstar player $900 over 6 years and landing up with pick 8.

I did mate I thought I typed a message but it's not there.
My quote was with pick 8 your not going to get 2 x 1st rounders for it unless they are end of Round 1.
Last year we got what has turned out to be pick 26 (the one you posted) just for moving back from pick 17 to pick 18.

So that GWS wouldn’t have to draft Darcy Wilson (who we then took at 18).

So if moving up one spot in the late teens can cost you a pick in the mid-20’s, we could get plenty in a trade for pick 8.

You’ll also note that I didn’t say how we could get that pick, just that we could trade 8 and end with 3 in the 12-30 range. Ie it could involve including a later pick to sweeten the deal, or a future pick.

Ultimately though, you could not only get two picks inside 30 for just 8, but you could probably get 3.

Last edited:
Not at all.
We made him a very good offer earlier in the season. He bade his time.
His right to do it. Then made him a better offer than Hawks.

But at the end of the day he misled the club and teammates into believing he was staying and then told them otherwise at the last possible moment.
Left a bit of a sour taste I believe.

Believe me, no one is upset about not paying a good, but not superstar player $900 over 6 years and landing up with pick 8.
However it played out exactly, he had still given your club 8 years of very solid and honest service and was only exercising his right to leave under the rule. Surely, he had earnt the right to be able to attend the awards night I would have thought. A very embarrassing moment for the club (presumably Basset behind it) which they hopefully learn from.

Last year we got what has turned out to be pick 26 (the one you posted) just for moving back from pick 17 to pick 18.

So that GWS wouldn’t have to draft Darcy Wilson (who we then took at 18).

So if moving up one spot in the late teens can cost you a pick in the mid-20’s, we could get plenty in a trade for pick 8.

You’ll also note that I didn’t say how we could get that pick, just that we could trade 8 and end with 3 in the 12-30 range. Ie it could involve including a later pick to sweeten the deal, or a future pick.

Ultimately though, you could not only get two picks inside 30 for just 8, but you could probably get 3.
Nice try, maybe if you trade pick 8 live as everyone pays major overs to live trade. In the trade period you would struggle for 2 late firsts in this draft because of the r evenness of the pool. Anyway as I said before good result for both clubs I’m tapping out of the thread. Good luck with the picks!

Nice try, maybe if you trade pick 8 live as everyone pays major overs to live trade.
What’s “nice try” about it, I didn’t say it had to be during the trade period. It could indeed be live trading on the night.

In the trade period you would struggle for 2 late firsts in this draft because of the r evenness of the pool.
Perhaps, but it all depends on why the club is moving up. If they’re desperate to move up ahead of a bid for instance, they’ll pay what they have to. And again, I spoke about ending up with 3 picks in the 12-30 range (one of which we already have), so I don’t know why two of you now have said we wouldn’t get two firsts for 8.

Pick 30 is not in the first round!

Anyway as I said before good result for both clubs I’m tapping out of the thread. Good luck with the picks!
Thanks kindly good sir.

Lol, he was born in SA. He may have grown up in Melbourne but he's not from there.

His family's mostly all in Perth also + he was a Port supporter.

Next to zero chance he moves to Melbourne when most of his family's in Perth.
Except for Mum and Dad, and two of his three brothers.

Seems bizarre that it was reported to be end of first round for the last 3 months.

Can only assume that him being on the young side played a significant role in the compo because it was widely reported that Hawthorn's offer was for less money.

Oh well, doesn't really effect the Hawks all that much. Would understandably be annoyed if I was a club with a pick shortly after the saints that got downgraded though.

Hawks will be sending their first rounder to West Coast anyway.
It’s been reported as borderline Band 1/2 for months.

There is not one category report saying it would be band 2. The very closest you’ll find is that nerd Cleary saying his opinion was band 2 this morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Josh Battle [to Hawthorn as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back