Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 $750k becomes $900k in 2025
It might for clubs that mismanaged their salary caps but Hawthorn has never had a history of overpaying players. We shall see how it pans out but I think Morris should've said that the Saints were 'hoping' that the Hawks offer would garner Band 1 comp because the reality is that the Saints wouldn't know.

It might for clubs that mismanaged their salary caps but Hawthorn has never had a history of overpaying players. We shall see how it pans out but I think Morris should've said that the Saints were 'hoping' that the Hawks offer would garner Band 1 comp because the reality is that the Saints wouldn't know.
Personally i believe it will be a Band 1
Mentioned at the time it was just under the saints offer and they will structure the deal accordingly

Could be all good but the same thing happened with McKay late last year as well. North came with a final bid and then it was band 1.

Either way another smart signing by the Hawks.
Essenscum had to bump up their offer (noting AFL were always going to find a way to give an R1 compo to North) as North had the option and money to match. Saints don't have the option to match.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could be all good but the same thing happened with McKay late last year as well. North came with a final bid and then it was band 1.

Either way another smart signing by the Hawks.

We didn't come in with another bid on McKay although Clarko did start up with the signal we could match which is the strength of the selling club with a restricted free agent. The price was going up moreso because the Swans and then the Hawks were really keen too.

This doesn't bode well for the Saints, the Hawks have no threat from them so they don't need to structure anything to suit. The general communication is it needs to be over 900k to consider band 1, if Ralph is on the money this morning it's less then it would be a really interesting twist to see them get the band one pick.

We didn't come in with another bid on McKay although Clarko did start up with the signal we could match which is the strength of the selling club with a restricted free agent. The price was going up moreso because the Swans and then the Hawks were really keen too.

This doesn't bode well for the Saints, the Hawks have no threat from them so they don't need to structure anything to suit. The general communication is it needs to be over 900k to consider band 1, if Ralph is on the money this morning it's less then it would be a really interesting twist to see them get the band one pick.

Will also prove what majority of people have thought all along that there is no formula, just the AFL making it up as they go along. As with most things.

Not sure why the Hawks would want to help Saints get band 1, when it pushes out thrleir current 1st which is needed for TB - so it's in our interest to avoid Band 1

No it doesn't.

I Agree Hell Yeah GIF by Achievement Hunter

Not sure why the Hawks would want to help Saints get band 1, when it pushes out thrleir current 1st which is needed for TB - so it's in our interest to avoid Band 1
Doubtful the Hawks will invest in 3 key defenders all earning over $900K so can't Battle earning that much, likely $800-850K.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea if it will be band 1 but I can't see the offer being more than that what our captain is on. Somewhere in the 800-900k bracket but less than Sis makes sense, if the herald sun Rich 100 is to be believed.

Cats had a rule that no-one could be paid more than Selwood - where Hawkins and Danger and I think one other got very close to that (Cameron probably - though he may well have been on more as it was in Selwood's final years) but the payments were far flatter than many clubs do.

Hawks also seem to have done similar. As much as he would be a great addition, I cant imagine he is the player for which we throw that concept out of the window. Barrass too.

And funnily enough both clubs have seen a lot of success.

Battle and Barrass will be great additions that will make Sis even better but he is a better defender with more responsibility. Just doesn't make sense for them to be paid more but we'll see.

Is he that good?

Probably isn't the type who will win us games off his own boot but his strength comes from how he will be able to elevate the likes of Weddle and Sicily to be more attacking.

Do the Hawks really want to shift Sicily out of the backline?

Swinging him forward late in games has worked but starting him forward allo s other teams to gameplan for him and takes the heart of the Hawks defense away.

I assume Battle takes Weddles spot?

Battle will be a good get for the Hawks no doubt, and would also be seen as a win for the Saints if he gets them a top 10 pick.

Going to be an interesting deal though. Saints have obviously offered him a big deal so it's a no brainer that they match the deal if it's anything less than band one. A trade would no doubt see them end up with a better pick than pick 20ish.

Battle will be a good get for the Hawks no doubt, and would also be seen as a win for the Saints if he gets them a top 10 pick.

Going to be an interesting deal though. Saints have obviously offered him a big deal so it's a no brainer that they match the deal if it's anything less than band one. A trade would no doubt see them end up with a better pick than pick 20ish.
UFA mate.
No matching.

He's already a Hawk.

UFA mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back