Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats had a rule that no-one could be paid more than Selwood - where Hawkins and Danger and I think one other got very close to that (Cameron probably - though he may well have been on more as it was in Selwood's final years) but the payments were far flatter than many clubs do.

Hawks also seem to have done similar. As much as he would be a great addition, I cant imagine he is the player for which we throw that concept out of the window. Barrass too.

And funnily enough both clubs have seen a lot of success.
jeeze thats really smart of those clubs to do that, I wonder why the other clubs dont try something similar????

Do the Hawks really want to shift Sicily out of the backline?

Swinging him forward late in games has worked but starting him forward allo s other teams to gameplan for him and takes the heart of the Hawks defense away.

I assume Battle takes Weddles spot?

Its been robbing Peter blind to give Paul a piece of toast. But bringing in Battle and Barrass means this move doesn't hurt the back line as much. I read on the hawks board that Sicily has played 7 quarters up forward since round 8 and has kicked 8.3...

Plus the afl world is completely sleeping on Scrimshaw. He has had as big a year as Sicily and can play his role almost as well.

Sicily, Scrimshaw, Weddle, Barrass and Battle were all in the top 15 key defenders this season. 3 of those blokes can play forward too.

Its been robbing Peter blind to give Paul a piece of toast. But bringing in Battle and Barrass means this move doesn't hurt the back line as much. I read on the hawks board that Sicily has played 7 quarters up forward since round 8 and has kicked 8.3...

Plus the afl world is completely sleeping on Scrimshaw. He has had as big a year as Sicily and can play his role almost as well.

Sicily, Scrimshaw, Weddle, Barrass and Battle were all in the top 15 key defenders this season. 3 of those blokes can play forward too.

I think Scrimshaw has been great for you guys but the real weapon is you have scrimshaw AND Sicily back there kicking 40-50m bullets to each other across half back which completely opens up your attacking game style. Without Sicily there teams will be able to focus on Scrimshaw more as Battle, Barrass and Weddle don't bother you with their kicking. (Weddle with run for sure, but not kicking).

I would not read too much into Backman moving forward mid game. (Hurley for us was one who would swing forward and kick goals but when permanent was nowhere near the threat) It is a magnet move that catches teams unawares and they have to adjust on the fly. If Sicily is there full time he will be gameplanned for. He will still be a good forward but his production will go down.

I think Scrimshaw has been great for you guys but the real weapon is you have scrimshaw AND Sicily back there kicking 40-50m bullets to each other across half back which completely opens up your attacking game style. Without Sicily there teams will be able to focus on Scrimshaw more as Battle, Barrass and Weddle don't bother you with their kicking. (Weddle with run for sure, but not kicking).

I would not read too much into Backman moving forward mid game. (Hurley for us was one who would swing forward and kick goals but when permanent was nowhere near the threat) It is a magnet move that catches teams unawares and they have to adjust on the fly. If Sicily is there full time he will be gameplanned for. He will still be a good forward but his production will go down.
I think you will see Weddle moving to a wing next year. He will slingshot from the half-back line to the forward line in transition. He doesn't need to start as a defender to be key to our transitions.

Back six will be:
FB: Hardwick - Barass - Sicily
HB: Impey - Battle - Amon
Int: Scrimshaw

I think you will see Weddle moving to a wing next year. He will slingshot from the half-back line to the forward line in transition. He doesn't need to start as a defender to be key to our transitions.

Back six will be:

This was my thinking. That battle would replace Weddle allowing him further up the ground (wing/CBA)

This was my thinking. That battle would replace Weddle allowing him further up the ground (wing/CBA)

I want to see Weddle as a CHF. Give him the freedom to do whatever he wants like Cameron at the Cats.

Back six will be:

Jaith and Weddle on a win each will be electric.

An I am sure Battle and Scrim will enjoy playing together again, controlling our back line.

Jaith and Weddle on a win each will be electric.

An I am sure Battle and Scrim will enjoy playing together again, controlling our back line.
I know he signed for 3 years but I struggle to see a place in the team for Jiath if Weddle moves up to the wing with D'Ambrosio on the other wing

Do the Hawks really want to shift Sicily out of the backline?

Swinging him forward late in games has worked but starting him forward allo s other teams to gameplan for him and takes the heart of the Hawks defense away.

I assume Battle takes Weddles spot?

I don’t. His kicking moves opposition zones and opens holes so that we can get our run going. He’s in the top few kicks in the league and too valuable down back imo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back