Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends if the rules are adjusted for tenure, which is a possibility.

May only need to be $800-$850k in that case.

Looks like Band 1 coming for the Saints, they should be pulling the contract offer tomorrow in all honesty for a guy that's pretty much a poor mans Stephen May.

They can rebuild their midfield with Pick 4 & 5.
This does ring a bell

Coffield & Hunter Clarke

Think the issue is simply really.

North trade Pick 21 + future 2nd to Essendon for Dylan Shiel and Nick Bryan. Essendon then pick up Cam Zurhaar on 6 year 6 mill deal which they can slightly frontload on the back of losing Shiel and Nick Bryans contract

This can push Zurhaars contract down to more or less a 6/4.8 mill deal

North then get pick 2 as compensation meaning the deal is

Pick 2 out of thin air + Shiel + Bryan for Pick 21, Future 2nd + Zurhaar

Sold!!!!!

Band 1 is crazy.
I'd be pissed if I was teams like the crows

It's just like last year with McKay.
Band 1 is suggested and everyone agrees that is absurd. Totally ridiculous.

Then the AFL media talk about it on and on all the time. By the time the absurd idea becomes reality, people have been conditioned to think it is fair.

Think the issue is simply really.

North trade Pick 21 + future 2nd to Essendon for Dylan Shiel and Nick Bryan. Essendon then pick up Cam Zurhaar on 6 year 6 mill deal which they can slightly frontload on the back of losing Shiel and Nick Bryans contract

This can push Zurhaars contract down to more or less a 6/4.8 mill deal

North then get pick 2 as compensation meaning the deal is

Pick 2 out of thin air + Shiel + Bryan for Pick 21, Future 2nd + Zurhaar
You sick bastard

Band 1 is crazy.
I'd be pissed if I was teams like the crows

Pissed? we're fuming if we finish above Saints and a hack like Battle reaps the Saints Band 1.

Seriously, the AFL needs to tighten up FA compo, McKay on a two year contract was a joke, just to reward North even more

It's just like last year with McKay.
Band 1 is suggested and everyone agrees that is absurd. Totally ridiculous.

Then the AFL media talk about it on and on all the time. By the time the absurd idea becomes reality, people have been conditioned to think it is fair.
How is it the Saints fault Hawthorn is offering a 6 year deal worth 800+k a year?!? 😂

Who said it is St Kilda’s fault?
When there is comments like a “hack like Battle” or “media talking it up to condition people” or “band 1 is crazy” it’s implied that the Saints are taking the piss here as it isn’t fair their clubs will get pushed back.

Instead of people moaning about the compensation. Moan about the Hawks trying to blow copious amounts of cap space on players like McKay Perryman and Battle.

When there is comments like a “hack like Battle” or “media talking it up to condition people” or “band 1 is crazy” it’s implied that the Saints are taking the piss here as it isn’t fair their clubs will get pushed back.

Instead of people moaning about the compensation. Moan about the Hawks trying to blow copious amounts of cap space on players like McKay Perryman and Battle.

No clubs fault, it’s the AFL system at fault.

I think most are in agreement that it is entirely the fault of the AFL, rather than St Kilda.

Cal twomey said deal will have to be close to 900k per year to get band 1
He also said the deal is 6 years and it would be very close.

The saints offer in round 2 was 6/800.

Last I heard both clubs sat at around 6/850 now.

That will trigger band 1 when overlayed with age

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies is this has already been answered, but how did it happen that Josh Battle wasn't in the top 25% of players paid in the year he hit free agency?

He also said the deal is 6 years and it would be very close.

The saints offer in round 2 was 6/800.

Last I heard both clubs sat at around 6/850 now.

That will trigger band 1 when overlayed with age

Reckon hawks would have to bump that offer up. Cal would be factoring in age and years

It’s only a favour if we land band 1.

He is a moron as we don’t have control of the situation

It will be very close ….If terms are as they where last year I reckon you get it.

If terms include pay increase I reckon you will just miss it. Unless Josh is offered more.

Reckon hawks would have to bump that offer up. Cal would be factoring in age and years
He didn’t mention it for Battle. Just Martin.

AFL Media’s Cal Twomey thinks that to net an early first-round compensation pick, a rival's offer for Battle would have to be around $900,000 a year.

While he may not be considered at that level, clubs have paid big money to get free agents out of rival clubs given they don’t need to offer anything to give them up apart from that salary cap space.

He also confirmed that the 25-year-old has six-year offers on the table from both the Hawks and the Saints as he weighs up his future.

“It's a bit of a different one,” Twomey said on SEN Breakfast.

“This came about because he's an unrestricted free agent. So, it's very, very different, you don't get the chance to match.

“In different scenarios over recent years, there's always been the threat of matching and forcing a trade if the money's not at a certain level (for a restricted free agent), which would sort of guarantee a really good pick.

“You don't have that sort of power with an unrestricted free agent, so it’s a little bit of a different case.

“In saying that, Hawthorn has six years on the table. St Kilda has six years there as well.

“Melbourne's been interested as well, but I think they're probably behind the pack on those ones.

“It's going to take a deal of close to $900,000 to register a first-round pick compensation for battle.

“Look, the market is there for the tall types, and we know the value placed on the UFA status (so it’s not out of the realm of possibility)

It will be very close ….If terms are as they where last year I reckon you get it.

If terms include pay increase I reckon you will just miss it. Unless Josh is offered more.
I think he ends up going and it’s Band 1.

You will end up hitting 900k

As I don’t think we will and I don’t think he leaves if the deals are similar.

Given the list of points only considers players in his age range with existing contracts there may not yet be players on the new salary cap money yet, or not as many as there will be by end of next season.

Given the list of points only considers players in his age range with existing contracts there may not yet be players on the new salary cap money yet, or not as many as there will be by end of next season.
Even if he lands at 850k guaranteed.

He will get a significant bump on their points system from the years of the deal and his age.

When the media start talking about potential band 1 compo. It’s effectively at that point.

The system is so open to manipulate surely hawks and saints do a deal for band one and another deal where hawks get some kind of later pick upgrade. I’m happy for 2 of the lower vic clubs to give each other a helping hand.
I have no doubt the clubs are working together to get the best result. Josh wouldnt screw the club over. Him and his managed will be making sure we get maximum compo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back