Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s three years younger. His 2020 is miles ahead of Darcy’s 2018!!!!
Agree, Darcy only played 7 games in 2018. Josh gets so much more of the ball than Darcy and he was good enough to play on Gaff. You might also say that Daicos will probably go on to be a gun midfielder. Darcy was a forward who failed so had to be moved I think we can now safely say but he is doing well of course as a defender. I am fully on the Josh bandwagon.

What a great year he’s having, so smooth.

Anyway here is proof.

I’d hope from that article that he wasn’t seriously on the trade table.

But everyone (almost) is for sale at the right price, because caps and lists and trades are a fact of life.

Just because the thought was thrown out there of “have you ever wondered if you’d get better opportunities elsewhere “ doesnt mean he was seriously on the market. It could well be standard question thrown at lots of young players who aren’t getting games... just to test out their level of commitment.

Unfortunately we didnt really gain any real advantage out of him not being bid on..... given our only live picks were spent on McLarty and Kirby.

Possibly we might have saved some points , that’s about all.
I’d completely forgotten about Kirby. He’d have been a welcome addition to our forwardline. :(

Agree, Darcy only played 7 games in 2018. Josh gets so much more of the ball than Darcy and he was good enough to play on Gaff. You might also say that Daicos will probably go on to be a gun midfielder. Darcy was a forward who failed so had to be moved I think we can now safely say but he is doing well of course as a defender. I am fully on the Josh bandwagon.

Darcy Moore was not a failed fwd he was a young fwd not finished in his development and moved. He was tracking as good as most star KPFs around today at similar ages and stages.

Cal had a few games early on that showed us a bit, but he has lost form and confidence this year. I reckon the reason he got the games was less on potential and more about what the side was perceived to have needed.

Josh couldn't play the defensive forward role and had to make the wing position his own.

Flippa now has to earn his spot back because there is no way in hell he'd be chosen over Josh or Sidey.

I'm terrified that we'll bring Phillips straight back in.

Surely Daicos wouldn't lose his spot at Tom's expense? There is literally no reason to bring Phillips back in now. We VISIBLY cause less turnovers with both him and Brown out of the side.

Can play. Starting to turn out of congested situations whilst leaving opposition players flat footed.

Memories of the R.T. Rush Stand and his old man come flooding back.

I think many are too young or simply forget that both Peter Diacos and Gary Ablett Sr started as mids and then went on to become gun forwards. I mean, Josh moves exactly like his old man. It's heart warming to watch.

The idea of having TWO GOD DAMN DAICOSES that are both genuinely good players is f**king tantalising.

Surely Daicos wouldn't lose his spot at Tom's expense? There is literally no reason to bring Phillips back in now. We VISIBLY cause less turnovers with both him and Brown out of the side.

I'm going to resist being too negative about Tom because I have in the past, but yes.

I think many are too young or simply forget that both Peter Diacos and Gary Ablett Sr started as mids and then went on to become gun forwards. I mean, Josh moves exactly like his old man. It's heart warming to watch.

The idea of having TWO GOD DAMN DAICOSES that are both genuinely good players is f**king tantalising.
Daics' young midfielder days are a long way back now. Those of us who stood in the outer watching the magoos before the seniors strode out saw the smoldering that was to become a raging inferno that swept many mids and backs aside remember those deftly timed steps, half steps and hesitation strides that younger fans have been denied.

I’d completely forgotten about Kirby. He’d have been a welcome addition to our forward line. :(

As would the big show. Sadly, we never got to see what they could deliver at senior level but if they could have replicated their exploits at VFL level it'd be very handy.

Daicos won’t lose his spot at anybody’s expense.

Thomas Mayne or even Stephenson more likely to make room for Phillips. Or Cameron if they choose to revert to the traditional model of Grundy destroying himself.

Chances are Phillips won’t force anybody out of that 22 and might have to wait for an opportunity to open up.

Daicos is an automatic selection and is looking like that might become a permanent thing on 2021 and beyond.

Daicos won’t lose his spot at anybody’s expense.

Thomas Mayne or even Stephenson more likely to make room for Phillips. Or Cameron if they choose to revert to the traditional model of Grundy destroying himself.

Chances are Phillips won’t force anybody out of that 22 and might have to wait for an opportunity to open up.

Daicos is an automatic selection and is looking like that might become a permanent thing on 2021 and beyond.

Mayne more likely of the 3 mentioned but that would be a great injustice to Mayne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've followed both since they were colts at Bulleen. Josh has demonstrated much more than Callum at AFL level but as juniors they were hard to split. Josh has always had a better kick.

I'm not as bullish on Callum as I was. He is a natural midfielder in a team that bats deep on that front but I won't be writing him off just yet.
Agree with this, from an oppo junior team's point of view.

What are you talking about? Phillips has literally been kept off a wing by Daicos all year, why would he suddenly be dropped in favour of an underdone Phillips? Maybe on the other hand.... I can cope with a Phillips turn over every now and again if it means I don’t have to watch Mayne kill our momentum every tome he touches the pill.

As would the big show. Sadly, we never got to see what they could deliver at senior level but if they could have replicated their exploits at VFL level it'd be very handy.
Tommy Hunter klaxon. *sigh*

1601952091606.png

Point of order your honour: Whilst I'm delighted with the form that young Josh has shown (right from the pre-season games til now) HE is no- where near the level his dad was even as a youngster.

Living where I do and with the links to GFC that I have, the comparisons that have been presented by Geelong and moreso latterly by AFL aficionado's that GAJ is better than his dad... I'm really hoping that the youngsters that see our two "new" Daicos's and compare them to their famous father do so in the knowledge that Peter was a once in a lifetime player (much like the elder Ablett). Peter's ability to do pretty much anything he wanted from the moment he stepped onto the field in his first game separated him from mere mortals. His ability to read play, to make play for others and (when he had to) winning games off his own boot...well those things will seldom be repeated.

Josh has elements of his father's brilliance. His balance and problem solving is highly evolved. He has great hands, kicks the ball well (maybe 85% of his father's level) and he has a hunger to get involved and to assist his team mates. But lets not compare the two...by year 4 Josh has played 35 odd games and kicked 17 goals, Peter had played 80 odd games (including 3 finals series and 3 GF's) and kicked 170 odd goals mainly playing as a midfielder and sometime forward.

Ablett snr is SO FAR AHEAD of any of his sons that its embarrassing when they're compared to him.
Any comparison between Peter and Josh (or Nick in future) is even more far fetched.

I'm just so glad we have both the boys playing for us, they will both give us all, plenty of Daicos moments!

Point of order your honour: Whilst I'm delighted with the form that young Josh has shown (right from the pre-season games til now) HE is no- where near the level his dad was even as a youngster.

Living where I do and with the links to GFC that I have, the comparisons that have been presented by Geelong and moreso latterly by AFL aficionado's that GAJ is better than his dad... I'm really hoping that the youngsters that see our two "new" Daicos's and compare them to their famous father do so in the knowledge that Peter was a once in a lifetime player (much like the elder Ablett). Peter's ability to do pretty much anything he wanted from the moment he stepped onto the field in his first game separated him from mere mortals. His ability to read play, to make play for others and (when he had to) winning games off his own boot...well those things will seldom be repeated.

Josh has elements of his father's brilliance. His balance and problem solving is highly evolved. He has great hands, kicks the ball well (maybe 85% of his father's level) and he has a hunger to get involved and to assist his team mates. But lets not compare the two...by year 4 Josh has played 35 odd games and kicked 17 goals, Peter had played 80 odd games (including 3 finals series and 3 GF's) and kicked 170 odd goals mainly playing as a midfielder and sometime forward.

Ablett snr is SO FAR AHEAD of any of his sons that its embarrassing when they're compared to him.
Any comparison between Peter and Josh (or Nick in future) is even more far fetched.

I'm just so glad we have both the boys playing for us, they will both give us all, plenty of Daicos moments!
This is an excellent post. I'm really enjoying watching Josh evolve, and sometimes, the way he moves, I think geez, that's Peter.

But really, there can be no fair comparison. Josh could turn out to be a champion, but Perter was one of the greatest players of all time. 97 goals in a season as a small forward for heavens sake - after dominating as a centreman.

I just shake my head when commentators talk about Betts & Milne being the best small forwards of all time - if Perter played his whole career there, he'd have kicked 1,000 goals.

Josh and Nick are going to provide us with years of viewing pleasure, but they aren't Peter.

Last edited:
This is an excellent post. I'm really enjoying watching Josh evolve, and sometimes, the way he moves, I think geez, that's Peter.

But really, there can be no fair comparison. Josh could turn out to be a champion, but Perter was one of the greatest players of all time. 97 goals in a seasons a small forward for heavens sake - after dominating as a centreman.

I just shake my head when commentators talk about Betts & Milne being the best small forwards of all time - if Perter played his whole career there, he'd have kicked 1,000 goals.

Josh and Nick are going to provide us with years of viewing pleasure, but they aren't Peter.

This is sooooo true.

Yeah, I've heard Josh's dad went OK. :D

You really think that Ablett Snr is that much better than Ablett jr? I’m not so sure, and I’m old enough to have watched them both. Obviously very different players, but I don’t think Ablett snr could do a lot of things that jr has done over the course of his career and vice versa. They are/were both complete freaks in their respective best positions and will both be remembered as tow all time greats.
As for Josh, the parallel I see with Ablett jr is the relatively slow start to their careers. Let’s be honest, if his trajectory even comes close to Gary Jr we’ll be hailing him as the second coming!

Of course, modern players are simply not even half as talented as players from the amatuer VFL era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back