Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Given the dogs hold the whip hand in any Dunkley negotiations (2 years remaining on his contract). If the dogs relent (and Dodoro is serious about getting the deal done) Dunkley could be traded to Essendon for picks 6 & 7 (assuming pick 7 is involved in the Saad deal).

If Adelaide get pick 2 in compensation for Crouch, would they entertain trading pick 1 (or pick 2, along with a gentleman’s agreement to not bid on JUH?) for picks 6 & 7?

This would leave (prior to further free agency compensation & bids):

Essendon with Dunkley (and could use Daniher compensation to trade for Caldwell).

Adelaide with pick 2 (or pick 1), pick 6, pick 7 & pick 8.

Dogs with pick 1 (or pick 2 - either way a guaranteed pick before JUH bid) & pick 12 (to be traded for greater points value to match JUH bid).

I doubt they bid on JUH at 1 anyway personally, pick 1 is used to sell hope (and memberships) as much as anything.

Depending on who they want, I’d think splitting 2 for 2 x top 10 selections is good business though, McDonald seems highly rated but is a WA boy so do they take the risk he might want to go home, or can they get a couple of guys a few picks later and take Thilthorpe as the SA local at 1.

Given the lack of exposure for VIC players a lot of them will be speculative, whereas the SA boys have had a lot more exposure and given Adelaide need a couple of years to rejuvenate the list, local talent without a go-home factor is valuable.

Being able to pick-up a high end first round selection and JUH would be a massive win for the Bulldogs if they could wrangle it.

Kind of smart by Dodoro when you break it down

1) Dogs would/could/should need points for a likely early bid on JUH
2) Dunkley is down the order in his preffered position to the point he was dropped this year.
3) With a war chest in front of him (Dodoro), we can front load a contract to the point they would be in the very top handful of paid players in the game so why not target someone who fills a much needed hole on our list.
4) see points 1 - 3
If you are going to weigh in at least get the information correct ... Dunkley was never dropped, he had a syndesmosis injury

Given the dogs hold the whip hand in any Dunkley negotiations (2 years remaining on his contract). If the dogs relent (and Dodoro is serious about getting the deal done) Dunkley could be traded to Essendon for picks 6 & 7 (assuming pick 7 is involved in the Saad deal).

If Adelaide get pick 2 in compensation for Crouch, would they entertain trading pick 1 (or pick 2, along with a gentleman’s agreement to not bid on JUH?) for picks 6 & 7?

This would leave (prior to further free agency compensation & bids):

Essendon with Dunkley (and could use Daniher compensation to trade for Caldwell).

Adelaide with pick 2 (or pick 1), pick 6, pick 7 & pick 8.

Dogs with pick 1 (or pick 2 - either way a guaranteed pick before JUH bid) & pick 12 (to be traded for greater points value to match JUH bid).
I'm not sure Adelaide would want to do that - If they knew that Thilthorpe was going to make it down to 6 they might but I think there'd be a good chance that you'd take the player that they want at 1.

Is that because he was played out of position?
No... he played full midfield before the injury

If you read a piece he wrote during the year you would see he does not mind where he is played and absolutely loves Beveridge and the club... if he leaves it is money driven not because of where’s he is played

Picks this year don’t do anything for us ... and poor ones at that
Disagree on that, surely Sam hasn't written off the whole draft over Jamarra.. live trading during the draft also allows plenty of flexibility in swapping picks around. You will definitely trade in some picks during the trade period for this years draft, although clearly would not have originally planned to involve Dunkley

I think if Essendon got Carlton's future first for Saad, then on traded Carlton's future first and Essendon's future first for Dunkley is a deal that would interest the dogs. What you suggested is way unders and they won't be interested in picks this year because of Jamarra bid.
thats likely about the deal we knocked back for Daniher funnily enough.
I think 2x top 10 is too much.

hard to place though as it's been a while since a team has tapped up a contracted player and succeeded in getting them.

I doubt they bid on JUH at 1 anyway personally, pick 1 is used to sell hope (and memberships) as much as anything.

Depending on who they want, I’d think splitting 2 for 2 x top 10 selections is good business though, McDonald seems highly rated but is a WA boy so do they take the risk he might want to go home, or can they get a couple of guys a few picks later and take Thilthorpe as the SA local at 1.

Given the lack of exposure for VIC players a lot of them will be speculative, whereas the SA boys have had a lot more exposure and given Adelaide need a couple of years to rejuvenate the list, local talent without a go-home factor is valuable.

Being able to pick-up a high end first round selection and JUH would be a massive win for the Bulldogs if they could wrangle it.
I agree I think there is doubt that the Crows will bid on JUH. McDonald though reportedly has family in Adelaide and has regularly spent time in Adelaide on school holidays so the go home factor isn't a huge concern compared to the Melbourne cry babies. Port have made a habit of drafting Vic Country players which has worked out better than the Chaplins and Jacobs.

Disagree on that, surely Sam hasn't written off the whole draft over Jamarra.. live trading during the draft also allows plenty of flexibility in swapping picks around. You will definitely trade in some picks during the trade period for this years draft, although clearly would not have originally planned to involve Dunkley
Doubt we trade Dunkley even if he requests it. There is no need to.

We will trade pick 12 to one of the many suitors who have asked about it . We will get the points that way not by trading a required player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt we trade Dunkley even if he requests it. There is no need to.

We will trade pick 12 to one of the many suitors who have asked about it . We will get the points that way not by trading a required player
Yeah its completely on the dons to offer something enticing enough to contemplate a trade and the dogs have every right not to come to the table given he's contracted.. it will be a very interesting couple of weeks.

Dunkley is one of the best two-way running midfielders in the AFL and more than proved his credentials in 2019.

Beveridge must be taking the piss. Plays him second ruck most of the year, even as the #1 ruck against Geelong, and rates Bailey Smith higher? Christ, what an awful coach.

Dunkley is a player you want in the heart and soul of your club, and should never trade under any circumstances while contracted. I'd much sooner pay out Beveridge's contract than trade Dunkley.

Geez, is Dunks your bf? :openmouth:

Can we please have no more talk of AMT. Do not want. Bloke drifts in and out of games more than I do after my 17th beer...

We also do not want Merrett (while acknowledging he's not up for trade anyway). We already have 2 non-damaging accumulators in Macrae and Hunter, a 3rd would be massive overkill.

No interest in any Essendon player for trade either. I'd have loved Hurley or Hooker 3-4 years ago, but they're 2 years from cooked now, so no good to us.

IF the rumours are true, we're gonna need 2 firsts averaging around the pick 10 mark next year. Simple as that.

Kind of smart by Dodoro when you break it down

1) Dogs would/could/should need points for a likely early bid on JUH
2) Dunkley is down the order in his preffered position, did miss games through injury (Syndesmosis).
3) With a war chest in front of him (Dodoro), we can front load a contract to the point they would be in the very top handful of paid players in the game so why not target someone who fills a much needed hole on our list.
4) see points 1 - 3
Point 4 is very compelling

Pankaj

Providing Western Bulldogs soften their stance and listen to offers...Hypothetically what is he worth?

7 + 16 ?

6 + Next years Second round pick ?

Interested mostly on what supporters of clubs not involved think. I realise him being contracted for 2 years is a factor.

As a RFA you would think first round pick in the teens would grease the wheels.... under contract (assuming dogs don't want to lose him) I'm thinking two high firsts and a second, probably spread over two years would be the minimum the dogs would consider. He is a very good player, only 23 and would be a starter in every team(and will probably get better for the next few years if his body holds up). Odds are that the dogs won't be able to find a player as good even with those picks, and whoever they do find will need a few years of development before being a replacement(while Dunkley will be in the prime age bracket). Thus minimal incentive to accept a trade unless it helps bring in someone they want or Dunkley wants to leave.

I actually think Dogs would be crazy not to take the overs we'll pay for him. A bad situation sure, but this presents as an opportunity to rectify their list imbalance.

What's the point of collecting so many good mids when the side is so unbalanced? Richmond have what, Dusty, Cotchin, Prestia as their main trio and they've won 3 out of the last 4 premierships.

Dogs have Bont, Macrae, Smith, Dunkley, Libba, West, Lipinski etc.
Take Dunkley out and they still have one of the best midfields in the competition. JUH wants to be a future midfielder as well.

Cash out and use the currency to target players that can win you a premiership.
And what are the overs you speak of?

Merrett has said that he plans to stay next year yet you're all set of offering him for Dunkley. Also You involving Norf in a trade that could of been done by themselves because there's nothing coming from norf to dogs in that deal.
Not to mention that they haven't got pick 7 yet from the Blues.

As much as Mcdonald has probably surged to the number 1 spot, I suspect if the Crows end up with enough currency to somehow get Hollands and Thilthorpe that would end up being their preference. Thilthorpe the local boy has slipped in a lot of drafts and Hollands was born in Adelaide and is a Crows supporter. That would be their ideal scenario, and depending what happens with the Crouch scenario would be something they'd investigate I imagine.

From a Bulldogs point of view, the dream draft would be somehow getting back in and picking up Grainge-Barrass but I can't see how that's likely as he'll likely go somewhere in the top 5.

If you are going to talk sh*t can you at least be factual? Dodo never asked for pick 7 plus one of those players.

He asked for pick 7 + dekoning after Carlton rejected a Swap of One of the 3 players you mentioned.

Sort your sh*t and and than have another crack.
That's way to much of a rediculous reach. Pick 7 alone would be to much for Saad without adding a perceived very God young player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back