TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
2 best ons in 2 weeks. Kennedy has been on the verge of breaking into the top bracket of midfielders in the completion. This could well be the year he takes that step.

I'm still amazed how underrated he is and how little attention he gets in Melbourne (aside from being the family name that Hawthorn traded away).

2 best ons in 2 weeks. Kennedy has been on the verge of breaking into the top bracket of midfielders in the completion. This could well be the year he takes that step.

I'm still amazed how underrated he is and how little attention he gets in Melbourne (aside from being the family name that Hawthorn traded away).

Same with Scott Selwood two best on grounds and 6 brownlow medal votes sewn up.

Both are very underated, both considered defensive inside player's but are both showing, great offensive traits.

you are right about him being underrated, his in close work is top notch.

i remember going to last years nab cup between sydney gold coast and gws and seeing how much of a unit he is up close. its no wonder he is so hard to tackle and stop in a contest.

Kennedy is massively suited to the cramped expanses of the SCG (though that's not to say he can't be a gun away from the SCG). Hawthorn didn't rank him as highly as the incumbent inside midfielders (Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Shiels, Burgoyne) because he lacks pace across the turf, though there's no doubting that his mind works at warp speed.

With his pedigree, it would have been a surprise if he turned out a dud, and I'm happy to see him succeed with the Swans. Had he stayed with the Hawks, he might have forced his way in to the team by sheer weight of numbers (probably edging out Shiels) but he'd still be third/fourth banana behind Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis and Burgoyne. That's why he headed away from the Hawks.

Already skipped ahead of Sewell, Lewis and Burgoyne imo.

Needs to complement his outside game a bit more, similar to Watson last year. Already a top line inside midfielder but needs the complete package to be seen as one of the best mids in the game, along with consistently performing at this standard for another year or two. He's naturally a massive unit and was banned from doing upper body weights work during the summer.

Kennedy is massively suited to the cramped expanses of the SCG (though that's not to say he can't be a gun away from the SCG). Hawthorn didn't rank him as highly as the incumbent inside midfielders (Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis, Shiels, Burgoyne) because he lacks pace across the turf, though there's no doubting that his mind works at warp speed.

With his pedigree, it would have been a surprise if he turned out a dud, and I'm happy to see him succeed with the Swans. Had he stayed with the Hawks, he might have forced his way in to the team by sheer weight of numbers (probably edging out Shiels) but he'd still be third/fourth banana behind Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis and Burgoyne. That's why he headed away from the Hawks.

Fair and level-headed response :thumbsu:

That said Sydney would be over the moon. He'd be one of the prime examples of their 'improving recycled players' thing. He looks set to take off this year.

Don't think he's a Brownlow type of player as of yet, needs to add another facet or two to his game (more forward nous, for example) but he'll poll well if he keeps playing as he has been in the first two rounds.

Already skipped ahead of Sewell, Lewis and Burgoyne imo.

Might need to re-watch last years finals series on Lewis, but agree with Sewell and Burgoyne.

I love Sewell but in hindsight, we should have put him up for trade. We didn't put Kennedy up but he was told where he stood in the pecking order and chose to walk. He is perfectly suited to the SCG and the Swans style.

Gun player, all the best to him.

He took too long! I had him in Supercoach from Round 1 last year and eventually traded him out after a lot of 60 and 70 point games... so I steered away this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will be an integral part of our midfield for the next 10 years.

without opening up a can of worms, just quietly our 2009 trading/draft year was nothing short of sensational. picked up mcglynn and kennedy from hawthorn, mumford from geelong as well as picking up sam reid, rohan and jetta in the draft.

Inside freak. Outside game not good enough to be considered an overall elite player though. The Jobe Watson (before 2011) analogy is quite apt.

Would love him at Carlton. Judd, Murphy and co. would go riot with his stoppage work.

Burgoyne wasn't at Hawthorn when Kennedy was there. Kennedy departed at the conclusion of the 09 season and Burger arrived pre 2010. Lewis was also an injury prone/bit part midfielder at that stage. Getting rid of McGlynn and Kennedy at the same time was a bad move.

Same with Scott Selwood two best on grounds and 6 brownlow medal votes sewn up.

Both are very underated, both considered defensive inside player's but are both showing, great offensive traits.

I think you might be under selling Priddis last week against the Dogs.

Selwood was fantastic today though.

Burgoyne wasn't at Hawthorn when Kennedy was there. Kennedy departed at the conclusion of the 09 season and Burger arrived pre 2010. Lewis was also an injury prone/bit part midfielder at that stage. Getting rid of McGlynn and Kennedy at the same time was a bad move.

From memory we offered him a one year contract but swans offered a longer and more lucrative one.

He chose the better offer and we organised the trade. Simple as that.

Not to sure what the mcglynn situation was.

From memory we offered him a one year contract but swans offered a longer and more lucrative one.

He chose the better offer and we organised the trade. Simple as that.

Not to sure what the mcglynn situation was.

You could have worded it a little differently...

" Despite looking very promising averaging 20 disposals and over 4 tackles a game in 2009, we only won 3 of the 10 games he played for us that season. The list was interfered with by the heirachy as a kneejerk reaction, and the wrong decision was made offering him only a 1 year deal on peanuts. Naturally he would have felt unwanted and looked at an offer from a better club that at least recognises, persists and rewards obvious talent. We at hawthorn have hopefully learnt a lot from our stupid mistake "

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back