Josh Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Horrible picks Hawthorn got as well. Remember vivadly the bending over, and the Hawthorn forums went into meltdown. Anyway, on a better note, the players selected with the picks 39, 46 and 70 netted Grimley, Ben Stratten and Matty Suckling (2 best 18 players).

In 2009 the Hawks needed outside running players, not inside mids. With Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell and even Lewis all ahead of Kennedy it is perfectly understandable that the footy club didn't want to tie up much salary cap with him. Swans swooped and good luck to them. Clearly Kennedy is a very good player but even now he is not what the Hawks need.

will be an integral part of our midfield for the next 10 years.

without opening up a can of worms, just quietly our 2009 trading/draft year was nothing short of sensational. picked up mcglynn and kennedy from hawthorn, mumford from geelong as well as picking up sam reid, rohan and jetta in the draft.

Incredibly good recruitment window for us in that year. Can't remember a better one in terms of who we were able to bring in. A batch of players that could take the club very far over the next decade.

On Kennedy, as Roos has said, it is sometimes difficult at the ground to see just how much good work he does as almost all of it is in the congestion and the mass of other players at stoppages. So it can be easy at times to underestimate just how well he plays (until you watch the replay) but yesterday it was impossible not to call him BOG.

Yeah no point Hawthorn fans being too pissed about it. Yes it might have been a list mistake made (with hindsight of course) but fact is once a guy chooses to leave there really isnt much you can do about it without major reshuffling and cap decisions. Only need to look at Darren Jolly to see that. Sydney have lost so many to homesickness over the yrs (never underestimate pillow talk with the missus as a sneaky list factor) we know exactly what its like..and usually comes just when they show improvement coz thats when the offers start to come out of the woodwork. You just cant offer all promising 2nd yr players the big $.

Our record with early draft pix has been very ordinary lately, but seem to do ok with later pix. Our situation as lone club (till now) in a critical centre for the games revenue base means we cant afford to bottom out, therefore receieivng very few early draft pix, so naturally we look a little closer at identifying and chasing guys from other clubs. They still need to want to leave where they are though...and its a big risk chucking overs around for unproven guys like Mumford. I guess backing our own judgement simply paid bigger dividends than normal at the end of 2009. You take your risks, and hopefully (as was the case in 09) noone else is looking at the same guys at the same time.

You could have worded it a little differently...

" Despite looking very promising averaging 20 disposals and over 4 tackles a game in 2009, we only won 3 of the 10 games he played for us that season. The list was interfered with by the heirachy as a kneejerk reaction, and the wrong decision was made offering him only a 1 year deal on peanuts. Naturally he would have felt unwanted and looked at an offer from a better club that at least recognises, persists and rewards obvious talent. We at hawthorn have hopefully learnt a lot from our stupid mistake "

Suppose we should have offered Jarryd Morton, Beau Dowler and Beau Muston 3 year deals as well for their similar season stats to Kennedy in 2009? Let's not get carried away here, he was a talented kid who'd shown something and a three year deal was something we wouldn't or could've offered given the salary cap management system in place.

We made a call, it was wrong, so sad, too bad. As others have said we had 4 or 5 inside mids in front of him in 2009, and pretty much to a man (and woman) hawks supporters wish him nothing but the best.

The whole Josh Kennedy debate is kind of pointless to me. So what, we got a good player from Hawthorn. They are still better than us and did a number on us in the finals last year.

Ive heard Paul Roos say that he has been suprised with how good Kennedy is. So at the time, the swans must of thought they were paying a fair price.

In other news. I read the Herald Sun this morning and Neil Cordy rated Lewis Jetta as the best player on the ground and Josh Kennedy as the fifth best. I must have been watching a different game. I'd be amazed if Josh Kennedy isnt already on 6 Brownlow votes.

In other news. I read the Herald Sun this morning and Neil Cordy rated Lewis Jetta as the best player on the ground and Josh Kennedy as the fifth best. I must have been watching a different game. I'd be amazed if Josh Kennedy isnt already on 6 Brownlow votes.
Wouldnt say a word against him..but he's well known to enjoy anything "delicious" :thumbsu:
Jetta still needs to eat, sleep and go for a run with the footy. Kick it over the roof into a bucket i dont care...he's good to watch so far and showing obvious improvement, but i still shut my eyes and prey when he's offloading it or kicking. CAN run tho geezus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No question that given his one obvious limitation (speed), the SCG is the perfect place for him to do his thing every second week. He is the main reason that Sydney won yesterday.

With the aging of Sewell, would love to have him back at Hawthorn. But rapt that he got his chance to shine at Sydney and continue the honour of the Kennedy dynasty.

Suppose we should have offered Jarryd Morton, Beau Dowler and Beau Muston 3 year deals as well for their similar season stats to Kennedy in 2009? Let's not get carried away here, he was a talented kid who'd shown something and a three year deal was something we wouldn't or could've offered given the salary cap management system in place.

We made a call, it was wrong, so sad, too bad. As others have said we had 4 or 5 inside mids in front of him in 2009, and pretty much to a man (and woman) hawks supporters wish him nothing but the best.

Spot on. I'm happy for Sydney and i'm pleased for Josh that he has quickly become one of Sydney's better players. Either way you look at it our midfield has been anything but weak for the last 5 seasons and in my opinion it hasn't hurt us. It's not like we dumped him anyway, he saw a better opportunity and grabbed it.

Even if he did stay something would have to give with so many great ball winners at Hawthorn. Would it have been the former best and fairest winner in Sewell or the rising star we have in Shiels? Pick 39 may seem like a bargain at the time, but that's what he was worth at the time.

The best thing about his form so far this year has been that he HASN'T just been an inside mid. While it's obviously his main attribute, his run and spread from the contests, his ability to link up in space and even run and carry, has greatly increased. He might have had 15 and 22 contested possessions in rounds 1 and 2, but he's had 12 and 14 uncontested possessions as well. He's had 11 inside 50s and 8 rebound 50s in the first two rounds. Add to that his two goals, and he's made a very well-rounded start to the season.

I don't know why Essendon didn't go for him, god knows Watson needed the support at the time & still does, although we're getting better. We traded a first round pick we got for Lovett (about 15-16) from St Kilda for a low 20s pick & Mark Williams. Hawthorn needed the pick to use in the trade for Burgoyne. The draft pick got us Carlisle who looks like he'll be a good long term player but Williams was a disaster & was always going to be a big risk. We could've easily got Kennedy in that trade as Hawthorn made no real effort to keep him for whatever reasons. Essendon needed an inside midfielder more than an under sized full forward & we should've made a big play for him. I always thought he'd be a good player but to be honest not as good as he's showing now.

Classic win-win-win trade.

Hawks traded out a player of a type they had a surplus of, and in the process gained a draft pick they used to recruit a promising young key defender, which they had a shortage of. Also, by granting JPK his wish at the trade table with no fuss, did the right thing by a family with massive connections to the club.

Swans gained a young player for relatively low cost, enabling them to replenish a list starting to feel the impact of retirements of premiership players while still remaining competitive.

Kennedy gained opportunities to show what he could do at a club that wanted and, more importantly, needed him. For many players, success is as much about opportunity as it is ability and application.

Successful trading is about both clubs improving their lists. Clubs should do more of it, rather than being pre-occupied with "winning" a trade.

The 09 trading and drafting (Kennedy, Mumford, McGlynn, Reid, Rohan, Jetta... Bradshaw and Seaby not so much) strategy basically took us from near the bottom of the ladder for that one year and everyone thinking we would stay there and need a rebuild to contenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back