Votes: 88 11.6%
  • another Vic club

Votes: 258 34.0%
  • another Non Vic Club

Votes: 14 1.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dominos are falling into place for a move to the Dogs
Dogs is probably a good fit positionally but I do wonder why internally the dogs went off the boil this year and if this is the case would they be able to offer him the support for his headspace??

COLLINGWOOD legend Michael McGuane has put forward a damning assessment of Brisbane forward Josh Schache.

The Magpies great says it was foreseeable years ago that the former No. 2 draft pick would struggle at AFL level — and believes the Lions were misled by a TAC Cup rule technicality that blinded AFL recruiters to the power forward’s terminal shortcomings.

McGuane on Tuesday told SEN Breakfast the Lions bought a lemon when they recruited Schache off the back of his extraordinary performances in Victoria’s U18 TAC Cup competition.

TAC Cup football is played under density zoning rules designed to avoid players bunching around contests.

Under the density rules, two key forwards and two key defenders must remain inside the 50m arc even when the opposition has the ball in the other half of the ground.

McGuane says the rules allowed Schache to benefit from extra space inside his forward 50 and concealed his inability to compete when outnumbered in pack marking contests.

He said the rule hoodwinked the Lions.

He also appeared to accuse Schache of running scared in AFL footy.

“You watch him in a contest at AFL level, he reaches for the footy at times, he turns his body sideways, he avoids contact,” McGuane said.

“Now that may be a subconscious thing that can be clearly removed from his game — and I hope so at 199cm. He needs to be smashing packs and either marking the ball to creating crumbing opportunities for his smalls.”
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/li...m/news-story/f5317344020812a210da19718b7b95ee
I can remember similar hatchet jobs on just about every young KPF over the years eg. Hawkins, Kennedy (Eagles).

I'd be quite happy if we kept him.

Noble just said he has spoken to everyone in the meeting that Schache had with Richmond and he didn't cry and didn't knock him around emotionally. What a ridiculous rumour that was.
Also mentioned that nobody has spoken to him about Schache and Josh has not had any interviews or medicals at any club,Wouldnt put a price on Josh but mentioned 4 times that Brisbane were happy to keep him.

Then why approach the kid and tell him if a suitable deal was presented you would consider - Really strange situation
Noble sounding slightly desperate in the interview and perhaps expected more interest than what has eventuated

If they have signed Schache with the intentions of increasing his value during a trade and that was their purpose of the re signing then they have played it very badly and have done more damage than good

Dogs is probably a good fit positionally but I do wonder why internally the dogs went off the boil this year and if this is the case would they be able to offer him the support for his headspace??
This time 12 months ago the Bulldogs were the toast of the town for their family environment and their player welfare.

No doubt the stringer and JJ situation has dampened that a fair bit, but Beveridge seems like a real class guy and would do as good a job as creating a safe environment for Schache than anyone.

This time 12 months ago the Bulldogs were the toast of the town for their family environment and their player welfare.

No doubt the stringer and JJ situation has dampened that a fair bit, but Beveridge seems like a real class guy and would do as good a job as creating a safe environment for Schache than anyone.
yeah I think so too but wondering if Bevo has been too much best mates with the lads and may need to be a strong role model figure as well

I can remember similar hatchet jobs on just about every young KPF over the years eg. Hawkins, Kennedy (Eagles).

I'd be quite happy if we kept him.
How is stating the obvious a hatchet job ?

Whilst Schache is a talent which nobody has denied even Noble mentioned in his interview that intensity was always his major problem and since he arrived at the club thats what has been mentioned to him as the major part of his game that needs to Improve.

No point in having a go at anybody thats say's a negative about him when his main flaw is well known

How is stating the obvious a hatchet job ?

Whilst Schache is a talent which nobody has denied even Noble mentioned in his interview that intensity was always his major problem and since he arrived at the club thats what has been mentioned to him as the major part of his game that needs to Improve.

No point in having a go at anybody thats say's a negative about him when his main flaw is well known
He conveniently didn't mention Josh's very good first year and IMO 99% of pundits go off way too early on young KPFs, he mentions the rules re zoning in the TAC cup but Josh was still the best KPF by a long way playing under the same rules as every other KPF in his draft year.

I mentioned Hawkins (211 games, 438 goals) and Kennedy (207 games, 519 goals) to highlight this fact as they both copped "hatchet jobs" early in their careers.

He conveniently didn't mention Josh's very good first year and IMO 99% of pundits go off way too early on young KPFs, he mentions the rules re zoning in the TAC cup but Josh was still the best KPF by a long way playing under the same rules as every other KPF in his draft year.

Most footy journalists are hindsight heros.

let's face it - it's a pretty easy gig.

Lions knocked it back.
Reckon they content taking Hodge via PSD and Hodgey said to manager I do not want to be taken by a lower pick than Mitchell as I will never hear the end of it from Sammy if that happened.
Lions knocked what back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That one clearly went over your head.
I should have put the :p, in there to be more clear.
It did. So many people are taking trade week so seriously, I forgot to apply my “pulling the leg” filter.

Makes you wonder why it hasn’t happened.
If we leave Hodge for the PSD we can take an extra pick to the draft to match points for Ballenden.
Seems like we'll only trade for him if getting a token pick will actually help you in some meaningful way.

If we leave Hodge for the PSD we can take an extra pick to the draft to match points for Ballenden.
Seems like we'll only trade for him if getting a token pick will actually help you in some meaningful way.

Picks that late don't have points.

I’m not sure Hodge will be overly keen on not getting something back to Hawthorn.

I mentioned Hawkins (211 games, 438 goals) and Kennedy (207 games, 519 goals) to highlight this fact as they both copped "hatchet jobs" early in their careers.

Yep, Hawkins was pretty mercilessly bagged from his debut up until the 2011 GF.

Did McGuane miss Schache's first season? Why didn't he make those comments then? Picking and choosing when it's convenient to bash the poor kid. Media folks should be ashamed of themselves.

Yeah why are we listening to Mick Mcguane exactly?

Unwarranted and poor form to be slamming Schache as a 'lemon' and saying Lions were 'tricked' into picking him because of the density rule...what a load of rubbish.

Way too early to call Schache a lemon.

Picks that late don't have points.

It's a list spots issue - you can only take as many picks into the draft as you have spare list spots.

So you can no longer do what we did in 2015 (accumulate basically all of the picks in the 30s-40s) and use your extra picks as earlier ones are extinguished on bids. Rules were changed after us and GWS did it that draft (ironically GWS did it to match bids on Kennedy and Hopper).

It's a list spots issue - you can only take as many picks into the draft as you have spare list spots.

So you can no longer do what we did in 2015 (accumulate basically all of the picks in the 30s-40s) and use your extra picks as earlier ones are extinguished on bids. Rules were changed after us and GWS did it that draft (ironically GWS did it to match bids on Kennedy and Hopper).

Hodge would be taking a spot and you'd be giving up a pick - there's not net loss or gain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Josh Schache [traded to Bulldogs]

Back