Jude Bolton: Why is he still good at 31 years of age?

Remove this Banner Ad

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I don't understand it. He was supposed to be finished as a league player three years ago. Yet here he is - 31 years of age as of March - running around like a hare and collecting the ball while carrying 86kgs of weight and pushing two very well worn legs.

He's a freak of nature...

Jude%20Bolton_L.jpg

lol, I love it.

To be honest I thought Jude would wind down a bit this year and move towards retirement (ala Kirk last year) but in the first two rounds he's been as good as ever. Has reinvented himself this year as a goal kicking midfielder. Absolute legend. Massively underrated.

Seems to have spent a lot of time on his set shot kicks, too. I remember being very worried whenever he'd mark in the forward line. But he's a dead eye dick now.

Not even close. Jude Bolton has a flag at Sydney, Hayes has helped St. Kilda...um....erm...

Anyway, I hope the mods can prevent this thread from turning into a place for Essendon supporters to express their vitriol towards our inspirational champion. You can do that shit at the Bay, not here.

I always thought the Jude should get a chance to captain the club after Kirk, but to be honest I think he just loves his role in the side these days and I wouldn't want that to change.

he got to captain a little in 2005, guess he was the right age about the time his form fell a bit and he was possible trade bait.

Some players dont need the c near their name to be great leaders and he is one of them.

Was very dangerous up forward against us. More accurate kicking would have seen him get a bag. That's a good string to add to your bow at 31 years old with reduced interchange.

Bloody great player for Swans, never understood posts from Sydney supporters ever bagging him, or him being offered as trade bait???

Kudos to him, he deserves it and a great bloke to go with it. As for accusations of cheating.. well now thats just ignorance supreme. (and a tad bitter).

One of the very few things that shitted me about Paul Roos was that he always seemed to treat Jude harshly when it came to giving B and F votes. Similar treatment to Goodesy. Jude deserves to have a Skilton Medal to his name.

Been my favourite Swan for a number of years now.

He has been crucial to the Swans, both on and off field for a long time.

The Swans seem a modest bunch of men and I think Jude has been crucial to that ethos.

He is not the player of Hayes, but is a better leader.

On a day when there's talk about how football players are no longer regarded as good role models, Jude Bolton stands out as everything a football player should be. The ultimate team man who loves the game, loves his team and plays with ferocious competitiveness.

The real mark of the man was when Sydney tried to trade him a few years ago. At the time he wasn't playing well enough to be there. But when the trade didn't happen he didn't complain but took it as a lesson and has refashioned himself into a much better player. Some of his games are inspirational. It must be such a boon to the Swans coaching staff to simply be able to say to young players "want to see what we expect of a Swans player, on and off the field and in society? Take Jude as your model - he'll never give up until the final siren sounds."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a day when there's talk about how football players are no longer regarded as good role models, Jude Bolton stands out as everything a football player should be. The ultimate team man who loves the game, loves his team and plays with ferocious competitiveness.

The real mark of the man was when Sydney tried to trade him a few years ago. At the time he wasn't playing well enough to be there. But when the trade didn't happen he didn't complain but took it as a lesson and has refashioned himself into a much better player. Some of his games are inspirational. It must be such a boon to the Swans coaching staff to simply be able to say to young players "want to see what we expect of a Swans player, on and off the field and in society? Take Jude as your model - he'll never give up until the final siren sounds."

I agree with all of this, he hasn't always been a favourite with every Sydney supporter and I'm sure he'd agree he let himself down for a couple of seasons there but he got himself back on track quickly and has never looked back.

If this current Swans team ever gets another chance at a flag , Jude will be one of the players I'm happiest for. That's not to say he deserves it any more than the next guy, it's just that he's such a tough competitor and you like to see that rewarded.

Jude is great because of his guts and determination.

Gives 100%, never says die and loves his football club. That's all you can ask.

He now holds the AFL record for:

- Most tackles in a game (19)
- Most contested possies in a game (26)

In my book that, along with his goalkicking, makes him elite.

Trying to work out if someone is "elite" is like trying to determine the line between a model and a supermodel. It's bullshit really...

I'm just so glad we didn't trade him a few years back, and I'm so proud of the way he has knuckled down and re-shaped his career with the Swans. The man is a smiling assassin! (excellent teeth)

I don't see why everyone is worrying if he is elite or not.

Has had a great career and as of three rounds into the season is playing great footy. Getting the ball, tackling and kicking goals. As far as 2011 is concerned he's one of the top tier midfielders (of 3 rounds) as this modern game style is suiting him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jude Bolton: Why is he still good at 31 years of age?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back