Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

It only needs to be:

Home
Clash

When away, whichever provides best contrast of home or clash should be worn.

Short policy:
- white shorts are worn ONLY IF it adds to contrast
(ie away team should never wear white shorts v teams with White home jumpers, Swans, Cats Roos)
- Home teams may be directed to wear white shorts if they have white home jumpers
I’ve done this to death. You’re still gonna have the away team be subjective and morons will always argue Carlton’s home is just as good as their away against Richmond.

If you’re away you NEVER wear your home jumper. End of. You either wear your away (white) or your clash (third color).

It’s the only way to ensure that the traditional bullshit argument dies.

I’ve done this to death. You’re still gonna have the away team be subjective and morons will always argue Carlton’s home is just as good as their away against Richmond.

If you’re away you NEVER wear your home jumper. End of. You either wear your away (white) or your clash (third color).

This is as extreme and silly as the people who claim that there's no clash.

I agree that there are situations where a clash uniform could be used where it currently isn't, to add to the pleasantness. (Even though Dogs' shade of blue is lighter than Carlton's, when away to Carlton, and their white shorts helps, they could easily wear white away, which would benefit everyone).

But there are clearly two home uniforms that don't clash. Plenty of teams can travel to Sydney and wear their non-red, non-white home uniform against Sydney's home uniform, for example. Are you suggesting that Richmond shouldn't wear their mainly black uniform in Sydney?

This is as extreme and silly as the people who claim that there's no clash.

I agree that there are situations where a clash uniform could be used where it currently isn't, to add to the pleasantness. (Even though Dogs' shade of blue is lighter than Carlton's, when away to Carlton, and their white shorts helps, they could easily wear white away, which would benefit everyone).

But there are clearly two home uniforms that don't clash. Plenty of teams can travel to Sydney and wear their non-red, non-white home uniform against Sydney's home uniform, for example. Are you suggesting that Richmond shouldn't wear their mainly black uniform in Sydney?
It is extreme but it’s not silly.

What’s suggested above is the policy we have no and it is constantly ****ed up. You can say whatever you like about it but it’s still subjective and includes a subjective decision about clubs wearing their home kit when they are not the home team (which is what every club and supporter will want).

Yes I’m absolutely suggesting Richmond woukdnt wear their home kit away to Sydney because then the blanket rule would be that they can’t wear it when they play Carlton.

It is extreme but it’s not silly.

What’s suggested above is the policy we have no and it is constantly ****ed up. You can say whatever you like about it but it’s still subjective and includes a subjective decision about clubs wearing their home kit when they are not the home team (which is what every club and supporter will want).

Yes I’m absolutely suggesting Richmond woukdnt wear their home kit away to Sydney because then the blanket rule would be that they can’t wear it when they play Carlton.
... or instead we could come to a reasonable assessment, draw the line somewhere and say that Richmond and Carlton matches require a clash and Richmond and Sydney ones don't.

The fact that there's going to be a subjective point somewhere will be less of an issue than Richmond wearing yellow in Sydney, surely.

There will always have to be compromises as Aust Football is its own sport with its own traditions etc.

Taking everything into account… the best system is the home club nominates their home jumper. The AFL nominates everything else - home shorts and socks, and the entire away kit.

That’s the way to do it unless we’re open to clubs wearing totally wild away colours, which we’re not.

Clubs like Geelong and North have predominately white jumpers and the AFL would obviously direct them to wear white shorts.

If you insist on any other colour shorts then you need the away kit to potentially be wild colours as they have to avoid two colours.

Nominate your home jumper and that’s it. It’s the best system.

Not from the front. 3 white stripes, 2 black = predominantly white. Even if the black stripes are slightly thicker, theres still way too much white to be considered an effective dark strip.
Umm... It's black jumper. With 3 white stripes....

Nobody cares about your ****ing number panel
They try and tell North what they should do all the time, yet they have that number panel that muddies the waters and creates clashes from behind. I get its their home uniform and heritage they can wear what they please, same principle applies to North, Collingwood are the ones who need to compromise.

They try and tell North what they should do all the time, yet they have that number panel that muddies the waters and creates clashes from behind. I get its their home uniform and heritage they can wear what they please, same principle applies to North, Collingwood are the ones who need to compromise.
Port fans will cry about the utterly lamest shit

They don't. They get to wear their home jumper.

But their shorts don't match their jumper.

It's ludicrous to think anyone should ever wear white shorts against a team with a white jumper.
If you don't want to wear white shorts - don't have a white jumper!

Roos have a light kit as their home. So in order not to clash, all that had to happen was Collingwood wear a dark kit - which includes dark shorts.
Shorts match the jumper perfectly, Royal Blue stripes with Royal Blue shorts and Royal Blue socks is the best looking uniform in the AFL and other than the 4/5 years they wore the unloved Dark Blue jersey with White Stripes it has been North's home uniform since the arrival of colour television in the mid 70's.

It's North's home game and the club, members and supporters want to see their players wear their traditional Royal Blue uniform, and they shouldn't have to compromise their traditions just to appease another club, broadcasters or anyone.

The pies had a predominantly black kit a while back, looked like braces on the front. This on.

View attachment 2022086
Again, people saying "why dont north just compromise" why dont the pies just wear something like this with black shorts.

North has their own issues as an away team but at home this isnt their issue.
Collingwood are being directed by the AFL to wear white shorts.
(EDIT: apologies, see in a later post you understand that very well)

Solution is simple with no need to create "blackout kits" for contrast issues if Pies are in full black and North are in white/blue.

Interestingly North promoted this as a 90's throwback round coinciding with the 25th anniversary of the '99 flag, wouldn't that have been a perfect opportunity to wear the Bounding Roo kit which would've created far more contrast on the back. Combine that with the Pies joining the party wearing the new Swooping Magpie kit (if only it had away sponsors), would've been perfect execution of a throwback celebration while maintaining contrast with kits both sides already have.

1718610842836.png Norf.png
(photoshopped blue shorts if they absolutely have to have them but of course white would be best)

The solutions already exist for the most clash and contrast issues - the AFL and clubs are unaware and/or unwilling to be creative enough with the literal fabric of our game.

I mostly agree - think of it as dark/ coloured v light.

If your home jumper is light - clubs with a dark home jumper should wear that.
If your home jumper is dark - clubs should wear their light clash (or light home)

No one actually needs a third strip if the AFL use some common sense.
Just stop the white shorts v white teams, and teams not wearing their clash when needed (ie Carlton) nonsense.

Shorts match the jumper perfectly, Royal Blue stripes with Royal Blue shorts and Royal Blue socks is the best looking uniform in the AFL and other than the 4/5 years they wore the unloved Dark Blue jersey with White Stripes it has been North's home uniform since the arrival of colour television in the mid 70's.

It's North's home game and the club, members and supporters want to see their players wear their traditional Royal Blue uniform, and they shouldn't have to compromise their traditions just to appease another club, broadcasters or anyone.
You don't get.

Geelong get it - they have zero issue wearing white shorts.

BUT - as I said, North could still have worn Blue shorts - the key thing is Pies should have been in Black shorts.

Do you really think Pies - or anyone - should be white shorts against the Roos? You have a white jumper!
It makes the clash worse, not better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood have a dark kit - and a light kit.

They just needed to wear their dark kit, including shorts.

Their kits are fine, and they actually do the right thing and wear their clash v Carlton etc.

Collingwood arent the problem, its bad decisions by AFL house

There can be a valid policy that Geelong aren't allowed to wear navy shorts with a predominantly white jumper, but North can wear their royal blue shorts with a predominantly white jumper.

Navy is darker than royal and closer to black.

An opposition teams' black/navy shorts clash less with royal than it does with black. While not good as a difference as with white, it still is a difference.

The issue is with Collingwood not maximising the amount of black/navy they're wearing against a team that is combining no dark colours, just white and royal blue, not that North wanted to wear a home combination that represents their tradition.

You don't get.

Geelong get it - they have zero issue wearing white shorts.

BUT - as I said, North could still have worn Blue shorts - the key thing is Pies should have been in Black shorts.

Do you really think Pies - or anyone - should be white shorts against the Roos? You have a white jumper!
It makes the clash worse, not better.
I get it, but I don't agree with you saying North have to wear white shorts because they have a white jumper.

BTW, personally I didn't think there were any issues yesterday because North's Royal Blue has recently been lightened and is now bright enough to no longer clash with the Black of Collingwood.

I think there is more to this than just clashing jumpers. North gets a pretty rotten deal from the league, similar to Saint and Dogs. Geelong get well and truly looked after and are probably happy to oblige the league on this one. North didn’t want to wear that ugly all blue home guernsey, just so they could have the ‘right’ to wear blue shorts. They want to able to wear there traditional guernsey and blue shorts and this is like a line in the sand moment really. To the AFL and Collingwood, we are North and we won’t be pushed around anymore, our home game you work it out.

... or instead we could come to a reasonable assessment, draw the line somewhere and say that Richmond and Carlton matches require a clash and Richmond and Sydney ones don't.

The fact that there's going to be a subjective point somewhere will be less of an issue than Richmond wearing yellow in Sydney, surely.
Again. Reasonable assessment. Who’s? Cause Richmond and Carlton think they don’t clash.

AGAIN this is the issue. You leave it subjective that away teams can wear their home strip and some dolt will say they should.

Hard and fast rule, no home strip as the away team, no argument.

The league doesn’t “need” this policy or a third strip but they prove every single week that they are incapable of applying their own policy correctly.
I mostly agree - think of it as dark/ coloured v light.

If your home jumper is light - clubs with a dark home jumper should wear that.
If your home jumper is dark - clubs should wear their light clash (or light home)

No one actually needs a third strip if the AFL use some common sense.
Just stop the white shorts v white teams, and teams not wearing their clash when needed (ie Carlton) nonsense.
AGAIN, 288 pages of people proving the AFL is incapable of applying common sense.

I’ve honestly done this point to absolute death here. If the AFL could apply their own policy correctly my suggestion would be extreme and pointless but the fact that they can’t is exactly why an extreme policy is needed.

Last edited:
Those advocating North wear white shorts. Should Hawthorn wear gold shorts?

These blanket rules that shorts should be the predominant colour of the guernsey is too generic an approach. I like North and Hawthorn home kits. I think Bulldogs would look better in white shorts as their home kit. Port too. Ultimately, it’s each individual club’s choice as to what their home strip is.

It’s not a month long tournament. It’s a seven month League comp with nearly 130 years of heritage. Let the clubs express theirs the way they want with their home strips.

What’s required are principles adhered to by clubs and effectively enforced if required by the AFL. No one knows what they are.

Collingwood are being directed by the AFL to wear white shorts.
(EDIT: apologies, see in a later post you understand that very well)

Solution is simple with no need to create "blackout kits" for contrast issues if Pies are in full black and North are in white/blue.

Interestingly North promoted this as a 90's throwback round coinciding with the 25th anniversary of the '99 flag, wouldn't that have been a perfect opportunity to wear the Bounding Roo kit which would've created far more contrast on the back. Combine that with the Pies joining the party wearing the new Swooping Magpie kit (if only it had away sponsors), would've been perfect execution of a throwback celebration while maintaining contrast with kits both sides already have.

View attachment 2022626View attachment 2022629
(photoshopped blue shorts if they absolutely have to have them but of course white would be best)

The solutions already exist for the most clash and contrast issues - the AFL and clubs are unaware and/or unwilling to be creative enough with the literal fabric of our game.
Wouldn't have minded this. But the fact that we were celebrating the '99 flag was actually a great excuse to have us in white shorts, since that's what we wore on the day:

1718654426701.jpeg

Regardless I was very surprised the AFL approved the matchup. Collingwood in their full clash would've clashed less, Collingwood in full home would've clashed less, they found the worst possible combination.

I think there is more to this than just clashing jumpers. North gets a pretty rotten deal from the league, similar to Saint and Dogs. Geelong get well and truly looked after and are probably happy to oblige the league on this one. North didn’t want to wear that ugly all blue home guernsey, just so they could have the ‘right’ to wear blue shorts. They want to able to wear there traditional guernsey and blue shorts and this is like a line in the sand moment really. To the AFL and Collingwood, we are North and we won’t be pushed around anymore, our home game you work it out.
But we do get pushed around by big, powerful establishment clubs like... the Bulldogs? Huh?

This is just a common sense matchup and I'm glad they did it. I don't want them doing it against clubs we don't clash with just because they wear "dark" strips.

Those advocating North wear white shorts. Should Hawthorn wear gold shorts?

These blanket rules that shorts should be the predominant colour of the guernsey is too generic an approach. I like North and Hawthorn home kits. I think Bulldogs would look better in white shorts as their home kit. Port too. Ultimately, it’s each individual club’s choice as to what their home strip is.

It’s not a month long tournament. It’s a seven month League comp with nearly 130 years of heritage. Let the clubs express theirs the way they want with their home strips.

What’s required are principles adhered to by clubs and effectively enforced if required by the AFL. No one knows what they are.

This. Club’s should be able to wear whatever they want at home. North’s royal shorts or Geelong’s navy shorts or Port’s white panel are not and have never been the issue.

The issue is that clubs do not have alternate uniforms that are distinct enough from their home kits. Every club NEEDS a 3rd kit in a predominantly non-club colour in order to resolve these inevitable clashes.

Yes that means Collingwood in pink, Carlton in green etc. That is the fix. Accept it or persevere with the stupidity.

But we do get pushed around by big, powerful establishment clubs like... the Bulldogs? Huh?

This is just a common sense matchup and I'm glad they did it. I don't want them doing it against clubs we don't clash with just because they wear "dark" strips.

We could wear red shorts permanently against Roos and I reckon that would work well?
And I would have the bulldogs wear white shorts permanently against Carlton and Melbourne. White shorts look fine on bulldogs uniform but can create confusion against lighter uniforms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back