Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

They should knock back North's Clash jumper because it doesn't work against Geelong.

But Clubs should be able to settle on an away/clash jumper rather than changing every year to make sure they don't clash with club's one off jumpers.

Hypothetically if Adelaide vs Richmond, and Adelaide came up with a one off Yellow front, dark blue back jumper - what jumper should Richmond wear?
I mean I’ve advocated very very hard for quite some time about the 3 strip, no home jumper when you’re away policy. I’ve also noted that the afl sets the fixture and could easily note the jumpers and clashes at that point.

You’re implying this is difficult and it’s really not. It is all within the afls control.

In your scenario, don’t allow Adelaide to wear that jumper v Richmond OR make Richmond wear a third strip.

I used to think I was swimming against the tide on that, but lately it feels like the tide is turning.

But to be fair, the Pies are at home tonight and it's still very easy to come up with something that provides clear differentiation.

I don't understand why there would be any one disputing it. Since 2021, the Collingwood home guernsey is clearly a white guernsey, with a white on black number and sponsor block.

Same old mishmash.

Interestingly, according to footyjumpers, Geelong wore a solid navy guernsey @ Collingwood in 1914 and 1921! North Melbourne entered the VFL in 1925.

The white shorts away rule was introduced in 1924, and since then that's been the significant differentiator in this, and every other fixture during the VFL era.

The GEE navy guernsey doesn't entirely help in a COL v GEE fixture now as the COL home guernsey has more black in it now than early 20th century. And of course, it looks Carlton in appearance, just without the CFC monogram.

Last edited:

Interestingly, according to footyjumpers, Geelong wore a solid navy guernsey @ Collingwood in 1914 and 1921! North Melbourne didn't entered the VFL in 1925.

The white shorts away rule was introduced in 1924, and since then that's been the significant differentiator in this, and every other fixture during the VFL era.

The GEE navy guernsey doesn't entirely help in a COL v GEE fixture now as the COL home guernsey has more black in it now than early 20th century. And of course, it looks Carlton in appearance, just without the CFC monogram.

Might be wrong, but wasn't there a game where Geelong actually wore that 1998 model against Carlton? Someone might have some pics or vision..

If it’s the correct thing for North to wear white shorts in their home game against the dogs 2 weeks ago, why doesn’t the Bulldogs wear white short in their home game against the Blues Bulldogs v Blues other way around is a great match up, this way horrible.
Because the Roos wear a white based jumper - the Bulldogs don't.

Carlton should have been in clash - but seriously, that was a minor clash - there is a lot bigger clashes (ie Pies v Blues)

Because the Roos wear a white based jumper - the Bulldogs don't.

Carlton should have been in clash - but seriously, that was a minor clash - there is a lot bigger clashes (ie Pies v Blues)
Though personally I would have no issue for the Dogs wearing red if the Roos insisted on wearing blue shorts in their home game, which we've done before. North simply weren't dicks to the Dogs for this game.

And the issue isn't necessarily the extent that Carlton clashed or not. It's a) it's their away game, b) they have an alternate uniform that still incorporates club colours and c) we should try to have as great a differential between teams in order to make the viewing experience as pleasant as possible.

I'm not sure if anyone has gone to the footy with these sorts of jumper instances with people who aren't engaged footy fans, let alone introducing the game to someone from overseas with no experience in it whatsoever (which I have), and it creates an unnecessary barrier to the strength of the game all for the benefit for a few nuffies. Will Carlton seriously lose fans if they were forced to wear white against the Dogs? Will Essendon if they wear red against Collingwood? These teams still get to wear their main, home uniform for their 11 home games a season.

I'm very much of the view that the mentality of away games, and the change in policy should be for the away team to wear the jumper out of all their possibilities that explicitly creates the best viewer experience, not merely in the cases where there is a "clash" of home jumpers (which in any case isn't always fulfilled e.g. big 4 against each other). I get that this creates situations where the Dogs and Carlton (and other similar match ups) will always feature one of the two teams in white, or that famous home jumper matchups that have historical value will be no more. I think suck it up. We're in the 21st century and there's millions poured into gaining new fans and improving the broadcast experience.

, let alone introducing the game to someone from overseas

Couple of quickies - I remember hearing of an English journalist who came out to cover the 2000 GF, which was his first ever taste of AFL. When asked what he thought of our great game, his very response was to comment on the playing kits being unnecessarily similar. (Ess v Melb which is thankfully no longer)

Also during covid times, when most of the world's sports had closed and the AFL was getting a lot of extra eyeballs, including from overseas sports punters just craving a dose of anything, a clip of a Coll v Geel game went viral due to US pundit Pat Mcafee. I remember reading the comments from all the bemused foreigners trying to figure out the rules, and one of the very first comments was, "why are both teams wearing the same top?" So yeah....

View attachment 2049053

The AFL would probably go with this "clash" against the Bulldogs.

This is the famous M&M jumper yeah? Why don't they wear this as their clash jumper instead of the white one. Not against the Bulldogs of course because as others have said, Carltons home jumper with dark shorts is fine for that clash. But against Essendon and the like. This light blue is quite sufficient.

I know at the time there was much disdain for the M&M jumper but come on. Wearing an all white jumper and your called "The Blues" doesn't make much sense. At least the M&M jumper is blue.

Last edited:
This is the famous M&M jumper yeah? Why don't they wear this as their clash jumper instead of the white one. Not against the Bulldogs of course because as others have said, Carltons home jumper with dark shorts if fine for that clash. But against Essendon and the like. This light blue is quite sufficient.

I know at the time there was much disdain for the M&M jumper but come on. Wearing an all white jumper and your called "The Blues" doesn't make much sense. At least the M&M jumper is blue.

Yeah I like it as a clash jumper. The M&M blue is unique. It's not quote royal blue, and of course not navy blue. It's almost aqua, but not that either.

Essendon, Richmond and Carlton have perfectly good clash jumpers.

The problem is the first 3 don't wear them against eachother and against Collingwood, only against 'lesser' teams like Melbourne (As Essendon did last week), Port, Freo (like carlton and collingwood have done), etc

so whether its carlton and its a white, chamois, m&m blue or some other blue jumper,
or essendon and an all red, or a red and black with black thin slash in between, or curved fat slash,
or richmond with their reverse and all yellow back or reverse with slash on back also,

.......its all moot if they wont wear them against one another

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gonna pay credit to one team which I think does it well, the Suns.

Understanding they don’t have the guernsey history other clubs do, but do like how they’ll put out that blue guernsey when they need to, and also not afraid to use a minor colour in the colour scheme to avoid a clash.

It’s a very much an adult way of dealing with it.

Gonna pay credit to one team which I think does it well, the Suns.

Understanding they don’t have the guernsey history other clubs do, but do like how they’ll put out that blue guernsey when they need to, and also not afraid to use a minor colour in the colour scheme to avoid a clash.

It’s a very much an adult way of dealing with it.
We really are the best

This is the famous M&M jumper yeah? Why don't they wear this as their clash jumper instead of the white one. Not against the Bulldogs of course because as others have said, Carltons home jumper with dark shorts is fine for that clash. But against Essendon and the like. This light blue is quite sufficient.

Well, if you're calling it the M&M jumper, then that's probably the reason they don't wear it today.

It wasn't Carlton's proudest moment selling their arse to an American confectionary company.

Well, if you're calling it the M&M jumper, then that's probably the reason they don't wear it today.

It wasn't Carlton's proudest moment selling their arse to an American confectionary company.

I can see why Carlton wouldn't want to use the jumper because of the association with how they sold it, but think the idea of a lighter blue has some merit.

Even the current clash guernsey could be adapted to be a lighter blue (instead of white) but retain the darker blue at the top, essentially have two shades of blue, works with being called the Blues, and is still a difference to the M&M jumper.

It seems you continue to miss the point.

Adding white short to a navy jumper doesnt resolve any clash.

Carlton already have an alternate kit, they should actually use it.

And if a clubs preferred kit and alternate kit both dont create enough contrast with an opponent, they should then also create a 3rd clash kit.
And in the Crows case, a 6th strip. (Our home, away, gather, anzac and indigenous guernseys still all clash with Brisbane 🤦‍♂️)

And in the Crows case, a 6th strip. (Our home, away, gather, anzac and indigenous guernseys still all clash with Brisbane 🤦‍♂️)
Crows "clash" would be a white based kit, which they have used before.

It aint that hard to use jumpers clubs have worn before to resolve all clashes.

But first you need to want to actually solve it, and whilst fans keep thinking popping white shorts on is acceptable we have no hope.

I dont get it.

Clubs are happy to do an Indigenous top, but to have a clash jumper....

ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!

What is the bloody difference? Heck, clubs are happy to sell a box for a sponsor, which can be a completely different colour altogether.

The Crows, for example, should use the yellow clash they had for years on Friday. They should also have a red top for other clashes(If they want). They have 3 colours. Easy.

Every club in the AFL has 2 colours(or even better, 3). Most of the time, the reverse will work(ala Collingwood). It is very bloody rare that you have to differ from that template.

I swear it all just stems from the oldschool dumbass bogan idea that whoever isn't wearing their 'traditional' strip is 'bowing down' or 'admitting defeat' or 'the weaker one'. like Essendon think they're a lesser club if they don't wear their sash on black for every game in history. funnily enough people think they're lesser because they make such a big deal about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back