Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how this week in the North - Geelong and St Kilda - Essendon games the home team has gone all white with the away team going the dark strip to maximise contrast, but the AFL can't seem to do the same for this one. In fairness, Richmond should be in yellow with Collingwood in their home kit but if both teams want to wear a jumper closer to their standard home strip then put the pies in all white like what has been done multiple times already this weekend.

North Melbourne’s home jumper is predominantly white, so you’re congratulating your club for wearing their home jumper at home…

Funny how this week in the North - Geelong and St Kilda - Essendon games the home team has gone all white with the away team going the dark strip to maximise contrast, but the AFL can't seem to do the same for this one. In fairness, Richmond should be in yellow with Collingwood in their home kit but if both teams want to wear a jumper closer to their standard home strip then put the pies in all white like what has been done multiple times already this weekend.
They shouldnt "put the pies in all white" - it's their home game, they get to wear the home jumper (wearing white would be their choice like saints wearing candy bar).

If you were just talking about white shorts, I can agree with that - ie I'm all for cats and Roos wearing white shorts at home.

But really, Tigers should be in their clash. Simple.

Common sense works only when it suits a team. What if it were finals?

Roos v cats - white stripes v white hoops from the front is still messy. Geelong needs to provide a predominantly solid option like North do in their away fixture. A navy strip with white trim such as a some narrow hoops would provide better diff than merely reversing their home jumper.

Saints v Bombers - was there a special reason St Kilda wore their away strip for this match or because the AFL deemed there was no other option? The uniforms both teams wore last night was the only suitable combination for this game based on the strips available. But it's not the solution. Essendon has to provide a second or third option that allows the Saints to wear their home strip at home. I guess the Saints had the last laugh on the scoreboard.
Retro round so we wore our candy stripe jumper as a mild throwback.

Home team wears what home team wants so I’m not mad about it but yes it did save essendons ass because their clash does nothing against us.
I read something about Saints Retro round or some promo. Normally Bombers would be in the solid red with the two thin black sashes (with the obligatory pointless white shorts.)

I reckon St.Kilda, like Collingwood look better in their predominantly white strips. I think they're one club that has probably seamlessly adopted the best quality alternates which are well received by the fans. I'd love to see them switch it up so the black backs & shorts only came out away to Syd, North, Geel, Coll in white etc and almost permanently adopt the white shorts like Geelong. But saints fans may beg to differ.
I tend to agree that we’ve always done pretty well with clash/alternates. I don’t hate the idea and ultimately if it fixes the problem I don’t have much issue with it BUT the tri panel is OUR jumper and I’d prefer we retained that as our standard home plus I staunchly advocate that the away team needs to properly fix the clash issue.

Any chance Collingwood have a commemorative, mainly white backed 'Pendles 400th' strip to save us on Saturday night? (I know, I know, it's not on them.) Be handy though.

AFL regulations regarding size of numbers, placement of logos, etc have had a lot to do with the back of guernseys being different from the front, so it now appears there are 3 or 4 teams on the field rather than 2. There are now sponsors logos above the number, and the logo below the number is bigger in 2024 so clubs like Collingwood, North, Hawthorn, Geelong, etc that have stripes and hoops have pushed them even further down on the back. It's fine on all those guernseys except Collingwood because the front of their home guernsey is predominantly white, but the back is most black.

St Kilda made the change to black the back of the guernsey long before these regulations came into effect, but do you think St Kilda should attempt to make the back of their guernsey like the front similar to their away guernsey?
… what?

Any chance Collingwood have a commemorative, mainly white backed 'Pendles 400th' strip to save us on Saturday night? (I know, I know, it's not on them.) Be handy though.

Thought Carlton might wear their white clash strip, but the big 4 rival clubs never seem to do this for some reason. Eg Richmond last week

It’s tradition to have the biggest eye sore apparently

Thought Carlton might wear their white clash strip, but the big 4 rival clubs never seem to do this for some reason. Eg Richmond last week

It’s tradition to have the biggest eye sore apparently

I recall Eddie McGuire proposing that Collingwood wear their white guernsey with home logo positioning for the Collingwood home fixture vs Carlton so the Blues can wear their navy blue guernsey to avoid the clash. Presume that never took off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst of the possible short combos for this much... Put tigers in black shorts, and then Roos in either blue or white shorts. All better options.

But in terms of a clash, it pales into insignificance compared to the biggest yearly AFL embarrassment from 2 of this bigger clubs tonight.

Black doesn't clash with royal blue.

It's the inconsistency. Gold Coast could have worn white shorts vs Navy Blue last night, but they didn't.

dont even need that, just need the black shorts.
Richmond should never be in this combo.

Either they are fine to use their full preferred kit, black jumper with yellow stripe matched with black shorts.

Or they have to use something else.

Today their is no clash, so both teams should be in preferred kit.

They got it right in the Geelong v Adelaide game with Geelong in white and Adelaide in their full home kit.
Typical afl - on same day:

2x
White team home v dark/yellow numbers

In one the home has white shorts, in the other they needlessly put the away dark team in white shorts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back