Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

That was so hard to watch, on tv it’s bad but you have some hope. At the ground it was actually impossible to tell what was happening if not right in front of you.

While Collingwood’s change may affect it, the change helped to solve what was a terrible clash with North and Geelong in the 90s.
It's Collingwood's home game and they should be free to wear whatever they deem their home kit. It is the away team's (Carlton's) responsibility to have and to wear when needed an appropriate clash kit, or to work with the AFL to resolve clashes. Professional league still run like it's amateur.

That was so hard to watch, on tv it’s bad but you have some hope. At the ground it was actually impossible to tell what was happening if not right in front of you.

While Collingwood’s change may affect it, the change helped to solve what was a terrible clash with North and Geelong in the 90s.
there were a few players handballing to the wrong team, and they weren't ones who would normally make such huge mistakes

Yeah I prefer the pies old jumper and maybe they could wear it.

But this is totally on Carlton. Petty bullshit from a 21st century minnow club.

Well, 50% Carlton, 50% AFL.

From the AFL's side, when Carlton comes up as the away team against Collingwood, Richmond or Essendon: "Wear your clash guernsey, same as you would as the away team against St Kilda, Melbourne, or Adelaide. If you don't, you'll be fined 50k."

Second time it happens, it's 100k. Third time, you're losing premiership points. Let's see how quickly Carlton falls into line.

I'm telling ya, this could be sorted in a heartbeat with a mass walkout protest. Frustratingly and sadly, outside of the regular posters here, I just don't think enough fans care.

I was thinking this too. It seemed to be in the media maybe 15 years ago. Yet these days no one's talking about the clashes bar Bigfooty. Commentators don't seem to mind or they've been instructed not to mention it.

From the AFL's side, when Carlton comes up as the away team against Collingwood, Richmond or Essendon: "Wear your clash guernsey, same as you would as the away team against St Kilda, Melbourne, or Adelaide. If you don't, you'll be fined 50k."

Second time it happens, it's 100k. Third time, you're losing premiership points. Let's see how quickly Carlton falls into line.

Scrap the fines. Straight to losing premiership points at the first offence. Repeat offences would be points + draft picks.

Carlton should also be forced to wear the sky blue against Collingwood.

The AFL approves the uniforms. This is known.

The AFL.

All they have to do is say "no, wear your clash uniform".

That's it.

It's the AFL.

The solution to the tradition issue the AFL and certain clubs obviously have is simple to me. If Carlton and Essendon simply had an inverse away strip (like Carlton have had multiple times) they could keep that as their permanent clash jumper. It would not take long for that jumper to become as identifiable and traditional as the home. The NBA is a great example, both the green and white Celtics jerseys are distinctive to the Celtics, same with the Bulls, Lakers or any of the other more storied franchises. Keep the more creative designs that you want to sell to kids for gather round and once offs, after ten years a black sash on red would be as much a part of Essendon as the home. I feel like the constant **** around is partly why some fans don’t want to see that jumper in a “traditional” match up.

Scrap the fines. Straight to losing premiership points at the first offence. Repeat offences would be points + draft picks.

Carlton should also be forced to wear the sky blue against Collingwood.

I'd give a fine first just to cover when there's genuinely been a freak issue/genuine accident with the away team's uniforms. Some possible examples I can think of is the away team in an Eagles v Bulldogs match (I think WC) forgetting to bring their clash jumpers, the Richmond v Port Elimination final where Port (the home team) had to hastily get a prison bar set made up because Richmond's clash guernseys were BS and did nothing (less likely to happen these days) and a loooong time ago, I remember Port wearing teal training guernseys (I think at home?) against Collingwood, don't remember the story behind that, but guessing something similar: Pies didn't have a clash, or at least an effective clash.

Something like that... highly unlikely to happen, it'd probably have to be a genuine human error these days (outside of "we can't wear a clash against our traditional rivals" stubborness). Deserves a hefty fine, but as long as they rock up with something workable, I'm willing to not go immediately to losing premiership points for an honest mistake.

The AFL approves the uniforms. This is known.

The AFL.

All they have to do is say "no, wear your clash uniform".

That's it.

It's the AFL.

I've heard this before and I'm sure there's a lot of truth to it, but I think it's a cop-out for the clubs to not take any responsibility to at least get into the 20th century on this issue. I can't imagine that Carlton are going to the AFL and saying "We'll wear the white clash guernsey for all our away games against Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle GWS, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond and St Kilda, no wuckers" and the AFL going back to them to say "Like hell, big four's too important, you're wearing navy blue against Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond, end of story."

The way I see it, either Carlton is telling the AFL that it wants to wear navy blue guernseys for away games against Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond specifically and the AFL clears it, or Carlton says it wants to wear navy blue for all away games and the AFL gutlessly picks all the other games but gives a pass to Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond. Either way, I find it hard to say that Carlton is blameless, though of course the AFL has the power to fix it, regardless of the dinosaurs in charge at the clubs. This literally should have been sorted out 50+ years ago.

I've heard this before and I'm sure there's a lot of truth to it, but I think it's a cop-out for the clubs to not take any responsibility to at least get into the 20th century on this issue. I can't imagine that Carlton are going to the AFL and saying "We'll wear the white clash guernsey for all our away games against Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle GWS, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond and St Kilda, no wuckers" and the AFL going back to them to say "Like hell, big four's too important, you're wearing navy blue against Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond, end of story."

The way I see it, either Carlton is telling the AFL that it wants to wear navy blue guernseys for away games against Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond specifically and the AFL clears it, or Carlton says it wants to wear navy blue for all away games and the AFL gutlessly picks all the other games but gives a pass to Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond. Either way, I find it hard to say that Carlton is blameless, though of course the AFL has the power to fix it, regardless of the dinosaurs in charge at the clubs. This literally should have been sorted out 50+ years ago.

Clearly the clubs have full choice over their kits and the AFL has the power to tell them to change but never does except for exceptional circumstances like Port and their minor league jumper. The only time they dictate is grand final day.

The AFL definitely do not tell clubs what they’ll wear every game, it would make no sense for the inconsistency and besides we know it was Geelong’s decision to wear their navy shorts v Collingwood when they cracked the shits about playing a final in front of 90,000 instead of their usual 20,000.

The solution to the tradition issue the AFL and certain clubs obviously have is simple to me. If Carlton and Essendon simply had an inverse away strip (like Carlton have had multiple times) they could keep that as their permanent clash jumper. It would not take long for that jumper to become as identifiable and traditional as the home. The NBA is a great example, both the green and white Celtics jerseys are distinctive to the Celtics, same with the Bulls, Lakers or any of the other more storied franchises. Keep the more creative designs that you want to sell to kids for gather round and once offs, after ten years a black sash on red would be as much a part of Essendon as the home. I feel like the constant **** around is partly why some fans don’t want to see that jumper in a “traditional” match up.

I think soccer is a better comparison, especially since I'm a bit biased to teams not being stuck on the idea that their clash guernsey must only contain their official colours.

The NBA's different in how the uniforms are designed. Until fairly recently, it was always the home team in white (besides the Lakers), the away team in its coloured set, all uniforms were basically a plain colour with the team name and player number on the front, player name and number on the back, with a couple of side panels or whatever, probably most like the Eagles, Suns or Carlton if we were to compare with AFL uniforms. No sashes, no half/half stripe/hoop designs, no real patterns to speak of. If the home team always wore white (besides the Lakers who traditionally wore gold) and the away team wore its coloured set (black, blue, red, green, whatever) there was simply never any possible chance of a clash.

AFL guernseys are much more similar to soccer jerseys in design, a few are essentially the same as famous soccer teams. And because soccer teams love a striped or hooped jersey, they just create an away kit and often a third kit to provide them with options for any conceivable match-up.

This has got a few mentions from time to time on here, but maybe the biggest WTF for me on the whole issue is the apparent media blackout on talking about amateur rubbish like the uniform.clash last night at the MCG. They spend hours with TV shows talking about all sorts of rubbish that doesn't matter, why does this stuff never get mentioned? Are they really forbidden from talking about it? Does Rohan Connolly still post on here occasionally?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah blame the AFL and not the stupid clubs…
It's both - clubs like Carlton could chose to wear a clash - but the AFL can direct them to wear.

Clubs like Carlton and Roos may be "stupid clubs" but the buck stops with the AFL.

yes this ain't great. Giants should have gone the charcoal
The gws home jumper should have a charcoal back. Or their home shorts should be orange.

Pick one or other

They should have a charcoal kit and an orange kit - and if orange is clash, then white shorts is fine.

So Friday night Melbourne should have been in dark blue shorts (no white shorts needed at all).
Sat arvo Richmond could have been in black shorts (no white shorts needed at all) or in their yellow jumper with white shorts.
Sat night Carlton should have been in white clash jumper.
Today hawks either in the white jumper or giants in charcoal jumper.

What a weekend.

So Friday night Melbourne should have been in dark blue shorts (no white shorts needed at all).
Sat arvo Richmond could have been in black shorts (no white shorts needed at all) or in their yellow jumper with white shorts.
Sat night Carlton should have been in white clash jumper.
Today hawks either in the white jumper or giants in charcoal jumper.

What a weekend.
Melb with white shorts wasn't a problem. Dogs don't have much white.

Tigers yellow w white shorts would have been worse. But agree they should been in black shorts.

Carlton 100% should have been in white clash - consistently the worst clash every year.

Gws should fix their home jumper - but as it is now, hawks have to be in white.

AFL get 3 crosses (north, gws, pies games) , 1 tick (cats) for me. Dees is a pass, and the other games have been no brainiers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back