Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

The gws home jumper should have a charcoal back. Or their home shorts should be orange.

Pick one or other

They should have a charcoal kit and an orange kit - and if orange is clash, then white shorts is fine.

Agreed with a Tony Ronaldson-sized 'but'...

Yes, I'm puzzled why with such a strong orange brand, GWS wouldn't just swap the orange and charcoal on the front of the home guernsey, then reverse it for the clash.

BUT...

That's currently their approved home guernsey and so opposition teams should have something in their kitbag to avoid creating a clash at GWS home games. Turns out Hawthorn does have the retro strip which would have worked perfectly. https://hawksmerchandise.com.au/hawthorn-2024-isc-retro-guernsey/

It's Collingwood's home game and they should be free to wear whatever they deem their home kit. It is the away team's (Carlton's) responsibility to have and to wear when needed an appropriate clash kit, or to work with the AFL to resolve clashes. Professional league still run like it's amateur.

That's rubbish. Collingwood clash because they changed their home jumper. That's fine to change your home jumper, but they changed from a light back light front to a dark back light front. This is what is causing all the clashes. If they changed to a dark front dark back then there would be no issue at all and we could wear our alternative white strip. This ridiculous change by Collingwood means our normal jumper we have a clash and with our white strip we have a clash.

The AFL should be forcing them to wear their light back light front jumper for home games vs us, amateur run league indeed.

That's rubbish. Collingwood clash because they changed their home jumper. That's fine to change your home jumper, but they changed from a light back light front to a dark back light front. This is what is causing all the clashes. If they changed to a dark front dark back then there would be no issue at all and we could wear our alternative white strip. This ridiculous change by Collingwood means our normal jumper we have a clash and with our white strip we have a clash.

The AFL should be forcing them to wear their light back light front jumper for home games vs us, amateur run league indeed.

This is a lie.

From 2001-2020 Collingwood had a mostly black front jumper. Carlton have worn their clash against Collingwood zero times (correct me if I’m wrong).

So I agree the Pies current jumper makes it tricky but Carlton wouldn’t wear their clash regardless.

It's their home game!!! Clubs can wear their own home jumper at home

Wear a clash jumper like almost every other club does when needed - including the Pies!

Stop being so darn entitled. Your club is no better than anyone else.

And your white strip would be fine - see Pies V Cats, Pies v Freo, Pies v Roos.

This is a lie.

From 2001-2020 Collingwood had a mostly black front jumper. Carlton have worn their clash against Collingwood zero times (correct me if I’m wrong).

So I agree the Pies current jumper makes it tricky but Carlton wouldn’t wear their clash regardless.

Collingwood-2024.gif

"mostly black" :astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

Collingwood-2024.gif

"mostly black" :astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:
Yes, but it's still their home jumper.

If Collingwood wanted to wear a jumper that was exactly 50% white 50% black, the onus is on Carlton to provide an appropriate alternative, such as sky blue.

The only mostly black fronted pies jumper I can recall is the one that had just the two white stripes which looked sort of like braces which disappeared pretty quickly.

The 2001-2020 versions of the pies home was more black then white in the same way north’s jumper is mostly white.

Its only the current version with the thicker white stripes that is not mostly black.

Hawks have that white kit, of course they don’t wear it here.

It’s like they pick the worst combos deliberately

It was the same at hawks home game v giants. Their main strip is dark they should wear that. This is caused by giants switching to second strip.
Hawks have a dark strip for clashes. Of which there aren’t really many, if at all

Collingwood-2024.gif

Even if you think this is more white than black (and their is an argument to say it is) Collingwoods home game, black shorts and socks.

If your clash doesnt fix the issue then you need a third kit in pink or green or ****ing whatever to fix it.

Theres just no way to cut that a Pies home game clash is their fault.

Even if you think this is more white than black (and their is an argument to say it is) Collingwoods home game, black shorts and socks.

If your clash doesnt fix the issue then you need a third kit in pink or green or ****ing whatever to fix it.

Theres just no way to cut that a Pies home game clash is their fault.
Nah. They shouldn't change their home guernsey to one that creates clashes, just as Port Adelaide shouldn't change to a home guernsey that looks like a Collingwood one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but it's still their home jumper.

If Collingwood wanted to wear a jumper that was exactly 50% white 50% black, the onus is on Carlton to provide an appropriate alternative, such as sky blue.

This. As with the GWS home guernsey, I think the Collingwood home guernsey could be better. I think narrower stripes look better and more black on the front than white. But - again - that's their home guernsey. Deal with it. And if you're a team (like mine) whose official colours only contain black/navy and white, think about using a different colour for those away games. Teams do all sorts of creative stuff for Indigenous Round, Anzac Round, some for Pride Round. The world's not going to end if you wear a different coloured jumper for maybe one or two games in a season.

It was the same at hawks home game v giants. Their main strip is dark they should wear that. This is caused by giants switching to second strip.
Hawks have a dark strip for clashes. Of which there aren’t really many, if at all

Not sure the clash would have been any better against GWS (probably would have been worse). Probably the best combination, if we're only sticking to home and clash guernseys is both teams in their clashes, Hawthorn in brown shorts, GWS in white. Which is obviously problematic for a GWS home game. So the obvious solution would seem to me to be for Hawthorn to keep its white retro (or a similar white variant - they've had several) as a third option and worn it yesterday. That would have worked fine.

I've heard this before and I'm sure there's a lot of truth to it, but I think it's a cop-out for the clubs to not take any responsibility to at least get into the 20th century on this issue. I can't imagine that Carlton are going to the AFL and saying "We'll wear the white clash guernsey for all our away games against Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle GWS, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond and St Kilda, no wuckers" and the AFL going back to them to say "Like hell, big four's too important, you're wearing navy blue against Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond, end of story."

The way I see it, either Carlton is telling the AFL that it wants to wear navy blue guernseys for away games against Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond specifically and the AFL clears it, or Carlton says it wants to wear navy blue for all away games and the AFL gutlessly picks all the other games but gives a pass to Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond. Either way, I find it hard to say that Carlton is blameless, though of course the AFL has the power to fix it, regardless of the dinosaurs in charge at the clubs. This literally should have been sorted out 50+ years ago.

The AFL controls what we see, and can over ride any club's decision.

The AFL controls what we see, and can over ride any club's decision.

I don't buy that the AFL would overrule Carlton requesting to wear its white guernsey away against Collingwood and force the Blues to wear navy.

As I've mentioned I think that either Carlton requests that it wears navy blue guernseys for away games against Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood, OR Carlton says we want to wear our traditional guernsey for ALL away games and will only switch to white if instructed to by the AFL.

Either way, the AFL squibs it and contributes to this shit show.

There's two questions to be asked of the AFL and Carlton, both with very simple answers.

1. Do you see a problem with the above spectacle?
2. Do you want to be part of the solution, a simple one, given the reverse fixture looks fine?

I don't buy that the AFL would overrule Carlton requesting to wear its white guernsey away against Collingwood and force the Blues to wear navy.

As I've mentioned I think that either Carlton requests that it wears navy blue guernseys for away games against Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood, OR Carlton says we want to wear our traditional guernsey for ALL away games and will only switch to white if instructed to by the AFL.

Either way, the AFL squibs it and contributes to this shit show.

There's two questions to be asked of the AFL and Carlton, both with very simple answers.

1. Do you see a problem with the above spectacle?
2. Do you want to be part of the solution, a simple one, given the reverse fixture looks fine?

Mate, the first couple of paragraphs of your post are hypothetical.

What we see in every game is ultimately controlled by the AFL. They register every strip, and they can neg what we see in each and every match, but they allow some to occur.

Nah. They shouldn't change their home guernsey to one that creates clashes, just as Port Adelaide shouldn't change to a home guernsey that looks like a Collingwood one.
Philosophically i disagree with you, if the pies wanna change their jumper they are absolutely entitled to, and if doing so creates a clash then they must also have a suitable clash for when they are the away team.

Ultimately it doesnt really matter because according to the rules, that IS their home jumper, whether you and I like it or not and therefore any clash created because of it is the responsibility of the away team to solve.

To be clear i blame Carlton like 10%, if the AFL doesnt wanna enforce their own policy then why would Carlton bother rolling its clash out. Carlton could and should just nominate their clash for this game but if the AFL dgaf, i can see why they dont

Mate, the first couple of paragraphs of your post are hypothetical.

What we see in every game is ultimately controlled by the AFL. They register every strip, and they can neg what we see in each and every match, but they allow some to occur.

A large portion of what's posted on BigFooty is hypothetical.

I don't buy that Carlton doesn't contribute to the crap show that we see at every away game against Collingwood. I don't see what the AFL possibly has to gain from Carlton wearing its navy blue guernsey instead of the logical clash guernsey in away games against Collingwood (and Essendon and Richmond).

So the only logical scenario that I can see is Carlton puts in its requested kit to wear and the AFL (for some inexplicable reason) ticks off on the navy blue guernsey against Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon, while the clash is worn away against every other team with a dark guernsey, many with broadly very similar designs/colours to Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon: Adelaide, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, St Kilda... this has been going on for years, it isn't a coincidence.

So yes, the AFL unquestionably has the power to fix this issue and for some weird reason chooses not to, but I have no doubt that Carlton could help by getting with the times and indicating a willingness (better yet a preference) to wear the clash in all games where it would unquestionably help the spectacle. I have no doubt that if Carlton said it wanted to wear white guernseys away against Collingwood, the AFL would sign off on it. Because... why wouldn't they?

Yes, the AFL's approach to this is farcical, but for Carlton's approach to be "we didn't wear our clash guernsey, because the AFL didn't ask us to" is BS as well. Get out of he stone ages and help drive the change.

This. As with the GWS home guernsey, I think the Collingwood home guernsey could be better. I think narrower stripes look better and more black on the front than white. But - again - that's their home guernsey. Deal with it. And if you're a team (like mine) whose official colours only contain black/navy and white, think about using a different colour for those away games. Teams do all sorts of creative stuff for Indigenous Round, Anzac Round, some for Pride Round. The world's not going to end if you wear a different coloured jumper for maybe one or two games in a season.

Not sure the clash would have been any better against GWS (probably would have been worse). Probably the best combination, if we're only sticking to home and clash guernseys is both teams in their clashes, Hawthorn in brown shorts, GWS in white. Which is obviously problematic for a GWS home game. So the obvious solution would seem to me to be for Hawthorn to keep its white retro (or a similar white variant - they've had several) as a third option and worn it yesterday. That would have worked fine.

All very well, but here is a case where the push for alternate strips has CAUSED the issue
Mind you GWS main jumper with dart front and light back is problematic too

The gws home jumper should have a charcoal back. Or their home shorts should be orange.

Pick one or other

They should have a charcoal kit and an orange kit - and if orange is clash, then white shorts is fine.

We do. We wore our home jumper yesterday, which every home team should have the right to do. On top of that we have 2 away jumpers, one is mostly grey and the other mostly orange.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back