Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong's supposed alternate strip is another that should never have been ticked off. Doesn't achieve anything front on. It's essentially the sister jumper to Collingwood's 'dark' strip, only difference being Pies wear theirs as their preferred home kit, so I can't be as critical of it.

If they're going to be gutless about it and make it as much like the home guernsey as possible, at the very least, they should get rid of the top and bottom white hoops on the front to make it clearly more navy on the front. And for the love of God, ditch hooped sleeves on clash guernseys.

They really should just make a yellow/red/green/orange version and not worry about traditional colours for one or two games a season to make the spectacle 100% better.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240727-205709_Chrome.jpg
As shown earlier from Mcgarnacle's post, Geelong have had some quite decent alternate kits in the past. I'm not a huge fan of the cat face or the scratch marks, but any of the tops that are mainly blue front & back do the trick. But now we're just going backwards, and it's essentially evolving back into a standard Geelong jumper. And the League just keep sleeping on it. Soon we'll be back with Essendon's fat sash and Richmond's yellow side panels.

I think both collingwood and Geelong would be served by making the back of the “clash” jumpers a block color.

Pies block white and cats block navy (not striped and hooped) but it’s also a minor quibble. They could also do less stripes/hoops (pies braces and cats two white hoops only, noting it’s just a different jumper then).

Those clash jumpers mostly work though, I find it hard to argue with either of them.

I'd prefer Geelong be told to have slightly less white and slightly more blue than the current clash strip to increase the contrast. But the game yesterday was basically fine. If that was the worst clash you had each year the issue would be pretty much solved.

Yeah it's pretty simple stuff. Cats blue hoops should be twice or more the width of the white, as should pies' black stripes. It's currently fine from the back but still mishmashy front on in the congestion.

Great to see common sense prevail in Roos v cats

And Saints v Bombers

2 good examples where it made sense for home side to be in white shorts

Common sense works only when it suits a team. What if it were finals?

Roos v cats - white stripes v white hoops from the front is still messy. Geelong needs to provide a predominantly solid option like North do in their away fixture. A navy strip with white trim such as a some narrow hoops would provide better diff than merely reversing their home jumper.

Saints v Bombers - was there a special reason St Kilda wore their away strip for this match or because the AFL deemed there was no other option? The uniforms both teams wore last night was the only suitable combination for this game based on the strips available. But it's not the solution. Essendon has to provide a second or third option that allows the Saints to wear their home strip at home. I guess the Saints had the last laugh on the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Funny how this week in the North - Geelong and St Kilda - Essendon games the home team has gone all white with the away team going the dark strip to maximise contrast, but the AFL can't seem to do the same for this one. In fairness, Richmond should be in yellow with Collingwood in their home kit but if both teams want to wear a jumper closer to their standard home strip then put the pies in all white like what has been done multiple times already this weekend.

Roos v cats - white stripes v white hoops from the front is still messy. Geelong needs to provide a predominantly solid option like North do in their away fixture. A navy strip with white trim such as a some narrow hoops would provide better diff than merely reversing their home jumper.

Saints v Bombers - was there a special reason St Kilda wore their away strip for this match or because the AFL deemed there was no other option? The uniforms both teams wore last night was the only suitable combination for this game based on the strips available. But it's not the solution. Essendon has to provide a second or third option that allows the Saints to wear their home strip at home. I guess the Saints had the last laugh on the scoreboard.
I read something about Saints Retro round or some promo. Normally Bombers would be in the solid red with the two thin black sashes (with the obligatory pointless white shorts.)

I reckon St.Kilda, like Collingwood look better in their predominantly white strips. I think they're one club that has probably seamlessly adopted the best quality alternates which are well received by the fans. I'd love to see them switch it up so the black backs & shorts only came out away to Syd, North, Geel, Coll in white etc and almost permanently adopt the white shorts like Geelong. But saints fans may beg to differ.

Last edited:
Classic big 4 BS at the MCG. Add in Richmond in white shorts to really maximise the confusion.
It's so stupid.

When Pies are "Away" these games (v tigers, blues, bombers) are fine - because the Pies actually wear their clash jumper!

They look crap when pies are home, because the other big 4 don't wear their clashes when they should.

Bizarre to say, but the Pies are best of the big 4, when it comes to jumpers.

Good lord this is genuinely awful to watch. I don’t pay much attention to this topic but how does this guernsey combination get approved? The AFL never cease to amaze me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read something about Saints Retro round or some promo. Normally Bombers would be in the solid red with the two thin black sashes (with the obligatory pointless white shorts.)

I reckon St.Kilda, like Collingwood look better in their predominantly white strips. I think they're one club that has probably seamlessly adopted the best quality alternates which are well received by the fans. I'd love to see them switch it up so the black backs & shorts only came out away to Syd, North, Geel, Coll in white etc and almost permanently adopt the white shorts like Geelong. But saints fans may beg to differ.

Where did you read it? Give us a link instead of hearsay

Where did you read it? Give us a link instead of hearsay
How can you say it's hearsay - they were literally wearing the jumper.

But, anyway...

"St Kilda will wear this year’s candy stripe Guernsey against Richmond at Norwood Oval as part of Gather Round next weekend, as well as in other select matches across the 2024 season"

Funny how this week in the North - Geelong and St Kilda - Essendon games the home team has gone all white with the away team going the dark strip to maximise contrast, but the AFL can't seem to do the same for this one. In fairness, Richmond should be in yellow with Collingwood in their home kit but if both teams want to wear a jumper closer to their standard home strip then put the pies in all white like what has been done multiple times already this weekend.

North Melbourne’s home jumper is predominantly white, so you’re congratulating your club for wearing their home jumper at home…

They shouldnt "put the pies in all white" - it's their home game, they get to wear the home jumper (wearing white would be their choice like saints wearing candy bar).

If you were just talking about white shorts, I can agree with that - ie I'm all for cats and Roos wearing white shorts at home.

But really, Tigers should be in their clash. Simple.

Retro round so we wore our candy stripe jumper as a mild throwback.

Home team wears what home team wants so I’m not mad about it but yes it did save essendons ass because their clash does nothing against us.

I tend to agree that we’ve always done pretty well with clash/alternates. I don’t hate the idea and ultimately if it fixes the problem I don’t have much issue with it BUT the tri panel is OUR jumper and I’d prefer we retained that as our standard home plus I staunchly advocate that the away team needs to properly fix the clash issue.

Retro round so we wore our candy stripe jumper as a mild throwback.

Home team wears what home team wants so I’m not mad about it but yes it did save essendons ass because their clash does nothing against us.

I tend to agree that we’ve always done pretty well with clash/alternates. I don’t hate the idea and ultimately if it fixes the problem I don’t have much issue with it BUT the tri panel is OUR jumper and I’d prefer we retained that as our standard home plus I staunchly advocate that the away team needs to properly fix the clash issue.

AFL regulations regarding size of numbers, placement of logos, etc have had a lot to do with the back of guernseys being different from the front, so it now appears there are 3 or 4 teams on the field rather than 2. There are now sponsors logos above the number, and the logo below the number is bigger in 2024 so clubs like Collingwood, North, Hawthorn, Geelong, etc that have stripes and hoops have pushed them even further down on the back. It's fine on all those guernseys except Collingwood because the front of their home guernsey is predominantly white, but the back is most black.

St Kilda made the change to black the back of the guernsey long before these regulations came into effect, but do you think St Kilda should attempt to make the back of their guernsey like the front similar to their away guernsey?

Any chance Collingwood have a commemorative, mainly white backed 'Pendles 400th' strip to save us on Saturday night? (I know, I know, it's not on them.) Be handy though.

AFL regulations regarding size of numbers, placement of logos, etc have had a lot to do with the back of guernseys being different from the front, so it now appears there are 3 or 4 teams on the field rather than 2. There are now sponsors logos above the number, and the logo below the number is bigger in 2024 so clubs like Collingwood, North, Hawthorn, Geelong, etc that have stripes and hoops have pushed them even further down on the back. It's fine on all those guernseys except Collingwood because the front of their home guernsey is predominantly white, but the back is most black.

St Kilda made the change to black the back of the guernsey long before these regulations came into effect, but do you think St Kilda should attempt to make the back of their guernsey like the front similar to their away guernsey?
… what?

Any chance Collingwood have a commemorative, mainly white backed 'Pendles 400th' strip to save us on Saturday night? (I know, I know, it's not on them.) Be handy though.

Thought Carlton might wear their white clash strip, but the big 4 rival clubs never seem to do this for some reason. Eg Richmond last week

It’s tradition to have the biggest eye sore apparently

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back