Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton could have 5 kits. A white clash. A yellow clash. Baby blue clash. Red clash.
Wont matter as they are not for big 4 away games
Hence the “away team wears away or clash jumper at all times” policy.

Again, it’s not necessary, I’ve said this over and over, but it is bullet proof.

Don't need 3

Just main (Home) / clash.

ie Freo away - wear main v Cats, wear clash v Carlton

The problem isn't that clubs don't have a clash, it's that the AFL doesn't direct clubs (ie Carlton) to wear it.

I'd say that for some (Carlton included) a third kit is superfluous... I'd have included Fremantle in that group but then they inexplicably wore their home guernsey with white shorts at an away game against Collingwood last year and now I don't know what to think.

There's nuance to it. I'd say essentially any team with a hooped or striped pattern (where it's practically 50/50 on the front) should have a third kit in a perfect world. Teams that have a healthy splash of three colours on the front of their guernseys should have a third: Adelaide, St Kilda, GWS, maybe Brisbane and the Bulldogs. For teams with only two colours and a clearly dominant colour like Carlton and Fremantle, they probably don't NEED a third option, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little fun with it, right? How good would it be for Fremantle to have the green anchor as their third choice?

As for when it's used, if we could trust common sense, I'd say you use the clash for all away games, unless it would objectively make things worse. But who would trust the league to get good outcomes with that much grey area involved?

Life would be a lot easier if each team was required to produce three uniforms, and the away team wears the one out of the three that produces the most contrast, irrespective of if the home team's uniforms are a bit dissimilar and can sort of been worn against each other.

I get that there's traditional home uniform vs home uniform matchups that will disappear but that's a cost that needs to be borne to make a good viewing experience. Irrespective of shorts.

For instance, with various shorts combinations, Carlton and Dogs wear navy and royal blue vs each other. I'm of the view that away teams should always be wearing white (or red or lime green) away in these games. I get royal vs Navy has existed since 1925, but I say cop it. Dogs wearing white vs Navy vs royal blue with navy (even if the Dogs have white shorts) is just that much better to watch.

The obligation of the away team is to create such a contrast as possible, once the home team has rightly enforced their desire to wear whatever uniform they want.

potentially some doozies today at 1:45. The AFL tend to let these ones go in this timeslot.

BL v GWS most likely pass the mustard - lions in full home and giants with the away guernsey and white shorts, but interested to see what they do with NM v WCE. Dare I say it, will NM be in blue shorts and WCE in blue guernsey with white shorts?

What would the AFL have done? Probably something involving sand and their head.

Soccer will always be stricter with it due to the offside rule. Refs need to clearly tell the diff between the two teams, and have the power to call off the game if the match-day uniforms are too similar.

potentially some doozies today at 1:45. The AFL tend to let these ones go in this timeslot.

BL v GWS most likely pass the mustard - lions in full home and giants with the away guernsey and white shorts, but interested to see what they do with NM v WCE. Dare I say it, will NM be in blue shorts and WCE in blue guernsey with white shorts?
Giants in Orange with white shorts it appears to be. Havent seen the teams next to each other yet so not sure if its going to be an issue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That strip St.Kilda wore today against the Tiges is a beauty. With the white back it feels better balanced & easy to contrast with. I'd adopt that as a preferred kit in a heartbeat. Not sure why, but strips that are predominantly white with a little of the secondary colour/s look so much better eg Pies & Swans. Well played Saints.

WC always wear yellow v Roos.

The white shorts is still a problem, but wasn't the worst clash ever.

Eagles should have been in blue shorts - or yellow...

White would look much better
The V is a much better guernsey too imo

I said that, (and probably every other supporter did too) when the Swans introduced the 'Opera House cutout' way back in - when was it - the 1920s? :)p). Seriously, the Opera house thing has always looked utterly terrible.

The Sydney Kings (bball) also did something similar with their singlets - I wonder if there was a State Govt thing re - 'You want some cash? This is what you need to do'.

I said that, (and probably every other supporter did too) when the Swans introduced the 'Opera House cutout' way back in - when was it - the 1920s? :)p). Seriously, the Opera house thing has always looked utterly terrible.

The Sydney Kings (bball) also did something similar with their singlets - I wonder if there was a State Govt thing re - 'You want some cash? This is what you need to do'.

I disagree, the opera house looks great, and is a simple and timeless element of the jumper. I think it also does its job of linking the club to the city while maintaining the original Swans identity. They then have the South jumper to wear in Melbourne which gives it the perfect balance in my view.

I disagree, the opera house looks great, and is a simple and timeless element of the jumper. I think it also does its job of linking the club to the city while maintaining the original Swans identity. They then have the South jumper to wear in Melbourne which gives it the perfect balance in my view.
All I'm saying is the south jumper is infinitely better

I'm not too fussed about the opera house or a complete V on the front, but the white back with the red numbers creates a better & balanced top instead of one of these dumb half/half tops which the league should disallow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back