Junior Development Squads?

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy Rioli

Draftee
Nov 10, 2011
Victoria yo
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have a son who is 14 and I think he is a really talented footballer but we are based out in the country and no matter how well he plays I just don't think he is being noticed. And whilst he is probably (all bias aside) the strongest and most talented player on the team, I think his development in the game has halted due to the fact he has so far been unable to test himself against bigger and better opponents and I myself have played a lot of footy in my time and am just looking for a way for my son to take that next big step. Does anyone have any advice on how to be noticed for Junior Development Squads and/or programs? :thumbsu: any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have a son who is 14 and I think he is a really talented footballer but we are based out in the country and no matter how well he plays I just don't think he is being noticed. And whilst he is probably (all bias aside) the strongest and most talented player on the team, I think his development in the game has halted due to the fact he has so far been unable to test himself against bigger and better opponents and I myself have played a lot of footy in my time and am just looking for a way for my son to take that next big step. Does anyone have any advice on how to be noticed for Junior Development Squads and/or programs? :thumbsu: any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My little brother recently did one of Ben Dixon's footy camps, I think it was called Draft Stars... He seemed to absolutely love it, he's quite a good player as well and loves his footy and absolutely had a ball, came home raving about it. so maybe give it a look?

I just asked him, its called draftstar...

I haven't got a son or any personal experience on this subject, but I would imagine perhaps signing him up into a team in a bigger league would be the first thing to do.

I had friends who drove in from Dunolly 3 times a week to train and play in Bendigo for that exact reason. This simply means a bit of dedication on your and his behalf to make sure he always gets to training on time.

Get him to the biggest club at the nearest decent size town, if he’s any good he’ll be found. The country based TAC teams are pretty good talent finders. A phone call from one his coaches may help.

Takes a lot of time and effort for the parents ferrying them around, particularly in regional areas. The unsung heroes.

My little brother recently did one of Ben Dixon's footy camps, I think it was called Draft Stars... He seemed to absolutely love it, he's quite a good player as well and loves his footy and absolutely had a ball, came home raving about it. so maybe give it a look?

I just asked him, its called draftstar...

Interesing Saints26. I just did a quick youtube search and there was a lot of results for the DraftStar Challenge with Ben Dixon. I have seen this segment on Future Stars quite a bit. But was unaware it was linked to any program, I scrolled down further and found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd0YG0rl7lk There is certainly no shortage of big name players on board. Does something like this provide any pathway further down the line? that you are aware of?

All depends whether you want to put in the major effort with your young fella who is 14 years old... I really think moving to a bigger league is something for the older kids. Plus moving your son into a bigger league puts a bit of pressure on the the young bloke...
Personally I think a camp or clinic is the best place to go first. If they think he has some talent then maybe move him into a bigger league? ... they would see hundreds of kids go through...

Interesing Saints26. I just did a quick youtube search and there was a lot of results for the DraftStar Challenge with Ben Dixon. I have seen this segment on Future Stars quite a bit. But was unaware it was linked to any program, I scrolled down further and found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd0YG0rl7lk There is certainly no shortage of big name players on board. Does something like this provide any pathway further down the line? that you are aware of?

From what my younger brother just told me, they run their program based on a 'true afl experience' and do all the testing that the afl combine does, and apparently make their results available to the afl clubs... could be another pathway if your fella really is as talented as you're saying!!!

Bunk Morland and Jisha. I completely agree us parents are the unsung heroes, but we do what we can for our kids and will certainly never complain about that! I don't think my son would be to keen on leaving his friends though. So something like what Saints26 has suggested would be more up our ally I think. However if there is no pathway available from draftstar or something like it eventually we may have to look at going to a bigger club. Any alternative that wouldn't involve him leaving his friends would be fantastic if you have any thoughts on that.

Bunk Morland and Jisha. I completely agree us parents are the unsung heroes, but we do what we can for our kids and will certainly never complain about that! I don't think my son would be to keen on leaving his friends though. So something like what Saints26 has suggested would be more up our ally I think. However if there is no pathway available from draftstar or something like it eventually we may have to look at going to a bigger club. Any alternative that wouldn't involve him leaving his friends would be fantastic if you have any thoughts on that.

Exactly... Isn't that what junior footy is all about, playing with your mates and having a ball!! especially at 14! If I was in your position I would be sending him to a draftstar camp or something similar and even getting a few mates to go along aswell... that way they're enjoying their footy with their mates and obviously in an environment where they can improve with their footy and in their personal skills.... But that's just my two cents!!

yes get him to a big club or a club with people you think are smart and have their heads screwed on, and try and get him to play up a year!

yes get him to a big club or a club with people you think are smart and have their heads screwed on, and try and get him to play up a year!

I definitely understand your point but I wouldn't mind him playing another year of footy where he can still enjoy himself. Playing up a year is probably something we would consider doing one year out from Colts. I just want him to be exposed to some sort of squad. But am not prepared to sacrifice his enjoyment of the game to do so if you can understand that. So a program more or less which allows for him to be exposed to high level coaches and training Perhaps where he could even go along to with some of his team mates and perhaps they could get some development into a few young players.

Where are you based out of interest (region/nearest major town?)

Its pretty rare that talent will get through without being picked up somewhere along the track...

The other thing re: draft star. It's a great experience for the kids, (endorsed by the AFL too), but i dont think development squads/TAC teams etc would be looking too closely at who has attended etc. when deciding who to take into their lists.

I would also refrain from contacting squad managers directly, as parents getting involved is likely to give them the shits!

Okay, well I quite like the sound of Draft Star have you had a child attend at all? I would like to know more about it. Our nearest major town is Eildon. We would possibly look at sending him to Assumption College, for his VCE years as it is a fairly prominent football school. but obviously that is a few years off yet.

And yes I agree I won't be a parent who goes and burns the bridges for my son because I have nagged Squad managers for too long.

Much appreciated Keith.

I wouldn't push too much.
I had friend who had a son who had champion written all over him from the very start. Always played up etc . You don't see him in the AFL, partly because he got burnt out partly because he broke a leg which shook his confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, well I quite like the sound of Draft Star have you had a child attend at all? I would like to know more about it. Our nearest major town is Eildon. We would possibly look at sending him to Assumption College, for his VCE years as it is a fairly prominent football school. but obviously that is a few years off yet.

And yes I agree I won't be a parent who goes and burns the bridges for my son because I have nagged Squad managers for too long.

Much appreciated Keith.

Do they have anything like this in the country?

It's one of the pathways for young kids in the Vic metro area and I would assume they must have something similar out your way.

Knowing which is the right way to go about it can be a gut wrenching decision. Stick with the club and the friends you've made over the years, or do what you think is the right thing by taking him somewhere else where they play at a higher level. We chose the latter and have only a few regrets.

Either way, the one thing I try to tell my son is, enjoy yourself no matter what. Good luck with what ever you do.

I'm 13 (not a bad player I might ad :p) but have a mate who is involved in the V-Squad program. I don't know much about it but I think you approach them? Maybe google V-Squad. Sorry thats about all I know. And that it used to be run by Ricky Nixon....

Thanks Auck Mel. I have just found the website www.draftstar.com.au it looks quite good. I like the sound of the Academy option that they offer as it looks as though they would put a fair bit of effort into my son.

As for VSquad I don't want anything to do with it.

Also my son is a bit of an all rounder and is quite handy at basketball, however he doesn't have the motivation to pursue basketball. Though I agree they love plucking a basketballer out of the blue, almost as they love the Irish experiment. Shame he's not Irish :D

Thanks Auck Mel. I have just found the website www.draftstar.com.au it looks quite good. I like the sound of the Academy option that they offer as it looks as though they would put a fair bit of effort into my son.

As for VSquad I don't want anything to do with it.

Also my son is a bit of an all rounder and is quite handy at basketball, however he doesn't have the motivation to pursue basketball. Though I agree they love plucking a basketballer out of the blue, almost as they love the Irish experiment. Shame he's not Irish :D

Draftstar's a bit rich for me, but it looks really good. Have done an Angelo Lekkas course http://www.footysca.com.au/ which was good, but done at club level.

Had my doubts on BB but it does seem to have helped my son who had done little aths for a long time.

Draftstar's a bit rich for me, but it looks really good. Have done an Angelo Lekkas course http://www.footysca.com.au/ which was good, but done at club level.

Had my doubts on BB but it does seem to have helped my son who had done little aths for a long time.

Angelo's program does look pretty good, the only issue being it is an 8 week program and I did not see that they were going to be coming out to regional areas. Whereas Draftstar runs every school holidays. I am going to sign him up for the January camp at Assumption College as it is not too far to travel and we can get him to and from on a one of occasion, which is a lot easier than traveling to the city once a week for 8 weeks.

Also when you say a bit rich are you talking money wise or . . ?

14yo kids should be left to enjoy their footy. If they have the ability they'll be spotted by the time they are Under 18 (drafting age). And if they are able to progress along those pathways there's plenty of pressures on all those kids. I think it's a huge mistake to be making any adjustments to your sons footy right now. he's happy playing with his mates....what's the problem??

Plenty of AFL players have been recruited out of small communities. Right now there's rookie draft hype about an 18yo whose mostly been playing in the desert!

Here's how the system is set up in Victoria.

Eildon in Victoria might be a little remote, but it'll be within the zone of one of the TAC Cup sides. Probably the Murray Bushrangers, but maybe Northern Knights or the Eastern Ranges.

Those sides often do have a bit of an u/15 tryout session (presumably based on the recommendations from the various junior leagues). It's pretty casual and they usually play heaps of kids in scratch games rotating them a quarter in the forward line, quarter in the midfield, Quarter in defense and a quarter on the bench. I'm sure performing well is a bit of a tick next to your name, but it's hardly that important in the long-term scheme of things. At u/16 level they invite a usually pretty large squad to preseason training and prepare to put a team together to compete in a brief early season comp against against other TAC u/16 teams. It basically winds up before many local leagues get started. AFL VIC select VIC Metro and Country teams from those games. Again it's a chance to be noticed and the National U/16 comp is probably the first time AFL recruiters are watching very seriously. Again I'm not sure it's crucial in the long term. Look through past teams at that level and sure you'll see plenty of guys that went on to AFL lists, but you'll see just as many who do very little over the next few years. Some are completely off the radar by the time they're 18.

At u/17 it gets more serious with bottom age kids trying to make TAC squads, but even missing out there is not the end of their chances. The u/18 year is the most important and that's where you want to get a chance to show what you can do. I enjoyed reading about Gary Rohan (from Sydney top ten draft pick in 2009) who only started at the Geelong Falcons in his u/18 year. Toby Greene (#11 draft pick this year) was cut by the Oakleigh Charger when he tried out as a bottom ager in 2010. Seedsman (drafted by Collingwood in 2010) played very little TAC Cup footy at all.

There's many many Victorian kids who barely play a TAC Cup game before they are U/18 who get drafted.

And many kids who are seen to be guns at u/16 level who don't kick on for any number of different reasons.

Those footy camps will be fun for kids to participate in, and if he's playing in a tiny community it might be good for him to see how he compares to some of the other kids, but seriously don't send you kid along thinking he'll get noticed in any meaningful way. The AFL players involved aren't going to go back to their club recruiters and say I just saw this 15yo kid at the camp and you should start watching him.

Anyhow good luck to you and your son. I hope he continues to enjoy his footy......the longer he can do that the better...and probably he'll perform better too. Not a big fan of playing kids up an age level either. Seen a few talented juniors doing this but not convinced it improves their chances in the long run.

Don't do stupid things like make your kid play up a grade. I'm only seventeen, so under 8's and 10's is fairly clear in my mind. Those kids who played above ended up very average or dropping out. It's also quite uncomfortable for them to play with kids they don't, in an age they don't belong.

Development squads are not the be all and end all. I know two recent AFL listed players who were never in development teams. And what's the point of a development squad? Claremont take my geographical zone. Every teenage footballer has a Claremont singlet. Are they all going to play AFL? It's very murky, and it's not a sign of great skill or prowess.

And primarily, does your young bloke want to do this? Maybe he's having fun. He's probably playing with his mates and having a good time. So many talented footballers are happy in the ammo's.

Much appreciated Keith.

Having been on one of the draft star camps it's a good experience but not one I think that will really get him noticed. It gives really good infomation about recovery and training, but when I attended the camp I probably wasn't driven enough to use this advice to the fullest. Playing school boy footy at Assumption will be a good way to get noticed as he gets older and I know a mate who got picked up for cannons through Assumption. They also have in the past played pratice games against Calder (First) and lower years against the Bushrangers deveolpment squads. But for the moment I suggest you just let him enjoy his footy and worry about rep footy down the track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Junior Development Squads?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back