Jurrah never made it to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want him. I would take him in the PSD. If he's out for a year, so what. We resigned Gray without hesitation despite knowing it'd be a year out and a year of him not at his best.

The test for me is how would you feel if the cows did a backflip and got him late in the draft? I'd feel it was a massive missed opportunity. Support him now, get him to stay out of the draft and nominate for the psd where we are guaranteed a pick before the cows. Last year we got McCarthy in the psd. This get would be an upgrade on that.

Risky? Sure, high risk but some risks are worth it.

Clueless comments and analogy

Ok the analogy was shit but the point is ok. Clubs can and do hold spots on their lists for a year or so. The boy has talent and we need talent. At worst he never plays for us, at best he gives us 6 or 7 years and 300 goals. His off field problems appear isolated to family matters and generally manageable.

Every draft pick is a gamble. This would be a gamble of a different kind.

Ok the analogy was shit but the point is ok. Clubs can and do hold spots on their lists for a year or so. The boy has talent and we need talent. At worst he never plays for us, at best he gives us 6 or 7 years and 300 goals. His off field problems appear isolated to family matters and generally manageable.

Every draft pick is a gamble. This would be a gamble of a different kind.
There's worse.

Ive been doing some investigation on this as i work with and have contact with the APY lands. A colleague of mine regulary goes up there and the last time she was up there it was at the time of Liams first court case when sercurity was tightened etc.

Anyway the history of this has been going on for a long time. Where Liam lives there are 2 tribes within the community, around 3 or 4 years ago a young man aged around 21 was killed from the other tribe and there was never anything done about this law wise and the violence stems from there. The community itself is very violent between the 2 tribes, basketball courts are split in 2 and if the basketball goes on the wrong side of the line you wont get it back and you dont dare cross the line.

Liam had to do what he did he had no choice, ive been told that people up there believe he will get a good behavior bond but will never be able to return back to his community.

If he can get his head around not being able to return back to his homeland i cant see his football being affected.

....Liam had to do what he did he had no choice, ive been told that people up there believe he will get a good behavior bond but will never be able to return back to his community.

If he can get his head around not being able to return back to his homeland i cant see his football being affected.

And that's a very big ****en IF. Easy for us white guys to say he should be able to do it.

He has his mother and grand mother living in the northern suburbs so he isn't completely alone to deal with it by himself

He has his mother and grand mother living in the northern suburbs so he isn't completely alone to deal with it by himself

Sure that helps but not being allowed back on country is a massive issue for traditional Aboriginals. His mother and grandmother will go back, he wont.

From what i heard about the community i dont know why you would want to go back, it sounded like a bloods V crips situation but living in each others pockets...

But yeah i can understand he would be devastated not being able to go back.

From what i heard about the community i dont know why you would want to go back, it sounded like a bloods V crips situation but living in each others pockets...

But yeah i can understand he would be devastated not being able to go back.

That's cause you are thinking like a whitefella Powersurj. As a traditional Aboriginal he has many cultural reasons to have to go back on country as well as all the psychological ones that go with an Aboriginals attachment to the land and in particular his country.

He can go spend sometime in the Flinders Ranges and we whitefella's think its all the same, but it just wouldn't even be close to him.

Dear Liam,

Thank you for your interest in our great club however let me explain a few things to you. You are a risk. In fact, we have designated you as an extreme risk. Nonetheless the risk of having players that are not up to AFL standard, like Cameron Hitchcock is far greater. Don't let Cameron know but there will be eight changes to our list and we consider you better than him.

You must realise that we have no intention of using anything other than a final round draft pick or a PSD pick. You have stated that you want to be based in South Australia. Therefore the only other competition for your services are the Crows and as you do not have one white parent there will be no need to draft you any earlier.

Yours Sincerely

John Hart Jnr

PS. Leave your machetes at home.

John Hart Jnr - "I only post replies in letter form"

Powersauce.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AssTin on Chan 10 Reckon that Jurrah was given a tour of Alberton last night, no mention if it was a maggies or Power related tour.

AssTin on Chan 10 Reckon that Jurrah was given a tour of Alberton last night, no mention if it was a maggies or Power related tour.

Probably wouldn't read a lot into it. Peter Rhode said during an interview that Port had been involved with him a bit because they had assisted in getting his family relocated to Adelaide. Makes sense since we have quite a bit of involvement with indigenous communities anyway.

Probably wouldn't read a lot into it. Peter Rhode said during an interview that Port had been involved with him a bit because they had assisted in getting his family relocated to Adelaide. Makes sense since we have quite a bit of involvement with indigenous communities anyway.
Makes sense?? Unless we are very keen to get him it makes no sense for a football club to get involved in this.

If we are keen on him it's good to see the club actually putting in place things that might keep him in a good head space.

Makes sense?? Unless we are very keen to get him it makes no sense for a football club to get involved in this.

If we are keen on him it's good to see the club actually putting in place things that might keep him in a good head space.

My impression from listening to Rhode was that the club had been approached by Jurrah's manager to help out. If it was just a case of helping his family to find accommodation and find their way around town, I would think they could do that without getting caught up in the politics of it all.

Not to say that they aren't interested in him, I just didn't think that taking him for a look around the club was that significant.

Time will tell I guess.

it may be a case of not making a committment in the short term but hey if you're serious about having an afl career come and use our facilities whilst you sort your life out and we'll think about it. Good on the club for providing him support if this may be the case, you can't begrudge them for that.

Power Aboriginal Programs facilitator Paul Vandenburgh is very highly rated. Jurrah reportedly lost faith at Melbourne as some of the figures he related well to there moved on. Paul might help reconnecting him with his football passion.

Like many other people I am trying to get my head around how free agency works.

The free agency rules on the AFL website mention the following:

A player has served seven seasons or fewer of AFL football at one club, and has been delisted by his club.
- The player is a free agent and is eligible to field offers from all rival AFL clubs.
- The player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.
- The player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice.
- His original club, which chose to delist him, does not receive any compensation pick for the loss of the player.

If Melbourne delist Liam Jurrah would another club need to pick him up through the draft, or can they acquire him through free agency?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130820/default.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back