Jurrah quits Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Jurrah should play at GWS, they will need a tall after Brogan goes, Giles is an 'older' ruckman, O'Hailpin and Cornes will not be too far from retirement. GWS will suddenly find themselves a few big men short, and they are currently a pretty good team when it comes to getting highly drafted Melbourne players.

ok...not sure if you've fully grasped the situation.

I don't think homesickness is restricted to Aboriginal players.
No doubt, but those with a Western upbringing overall cope better as we are expected to leave home and make our own way. Aboriginal culture revolves around the family and the tribe and so being separated from that is very difficult for them. But please let's not turn this into white v black culture discussion because it just leads to trolling.

Doesn't that partly validate Rendell's comments? Not that an Aboriginal player should have one white parent but that clubs should exercise due diligence in researching the family situation of any player they may draft, be they black or white.

My understanding is that these issues occurred after he got drafted.

Seriously, this is a guy who got into a massive brawl, attacked someone with a machete, and now he (let me get this straight) wants to move closer to the location and all his troubles, so he can spend more time in the area. Why on earth would you even consider drafting him? Is there something in the water at Port?
His troubles are centred in his outback hometown in NT; it's a fair hike from Adelaide. Also, the family is split down the middle on the issue, so I assume he is moving to family who are on his 'side' in this so he'll be getting support from them. I can understand why he wants to go, he's got some shit that needs serious sorting, but I am disappointed nonetheless (although he was out of contract this year and may well have been cut anyway).

Is he the 3rd aboriginal person to walk out in on the dees in the past 12 months? seems the rumours about neeld treating aboriginals "differently" were probably true... very worrying sign. At least things can only improve for the dees

Jesus, only a Collingwood supporter could be this dumb.

Is he the 3rd aboriginal person to walk out in on the dees in the past 12 months? seems the rumours about neeld treating aboriginals "differently" were probably true... very worrying sign. At least things can only improve for the dees

So Neeld put an axe in his hand and turned his life into the shitsville it currently is :rolleyes:

They were out of your control, yet maybe Melbourne haven't handled it as well as you believe.

What is reported in the media is only a tiny part of the story.

Well to be fair he left the club for months during Bailey's last year, to deal with his grief. Neeld was still at Collingwood at that point, came back unfit and uninspired and was delisted. I'll need more than correlation and "maybe we don't know everything" to accept claims that Neeld is a racist.

They were out of your control, yet maybe Melbourne haven't handled it as well as you believe.

What is reported in the media is only a tiny part of the story.

Or a lot of a non-story.

Neeld is not a racist. The club has accepted many Aboriginal players through its door, and at one point had Davey, Whealen, Wonna, Bennell, Jetta, and a few others.

It was a defaming story that has since been rectified. Jurrah wants to go home after what is quite openly a major family issue.

Stop turning this into an issue about Melbourne. You're kicking a dog while it's down, and in the mean time, looking like a dog yourself.

No one knows the wholes story, therefore HFF saying that MFC handled the situation well is 'hypothesising' as well.
Did I say well?

Its a big step up from calling our coach a racist.

No one knows the wholes story, therefore HFF saying that MFC handled the situation well is 'hypothesising' as well.

He's going off what he knows which, I'd agree the club handled the situation well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stop turning this into an issue about Melbourne. You're kicking a dog while it's down, and in the mean time, looking like a dog yourself.

Exactly. It's transparently obvious that (like "blaze036" and "TradeDraft"), he's just making shit up to troll us because he doesn't like the Melbourne Football Club.

Reminds me of the colossal tantrum he threw earlier this year after I pointed out various media outlets named Watts BOG against Essendon and GWS.

Its a big step up from calling our coach a racist.

Indeed. And of course, anyone with an ounce of class wouldn't make such wildly offensive claims on the main board without a skerrick of substance to back them up.

7d09457f225c.jpg

Really sad stuff in a season that has been a deebacle overall. To be honest, wasn't expecting him to be play footy for a while, but to walk out on the club is another thing all together. Was a real excitement machine over some dark times. I'm just trying think of what other terrible thing will happen to the MFC, possibly Nathan Jones switching codes to rugby.

When will the Melbourne football club finally learn their lesson that making soft, easy decisions with only the short-term in mind will get them nowhere!??
You are absolutely kidding yourself. The easy decision would have been to cut all ties with him as soon as the machete incident occurred. We made the hard decision to support him and try to help him through his issues, which has now backfired.

Even though he has pulled a bit of a dog move on us I could never hate him, like a Scully. Good luck to him, I hope he gets picked up and turns his life around. Thanks for some good memories Liam.

cough* cough nicky winmar

I knew it would happen one way or another. Melbourne are better off without him. But it sucks for Melbourne they have invested so much in this guy for him to quit. This just underscores the difficulty a club can have with an indigenous player and home sickness.

It seems to mainly happen with less successful clubs.

Adam Goodes or Buddy or Travis Varcoe never have these problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jurrah quits Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back