Jurrah vs Goddard - Mark of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Watts is 196, already been stated in the thread (page 2 I think), also been stated it's negated by Pattison being 198 in the Goddard mark so both effectively jumped over "tall blokes" to get it.

Obviously bias leans towards Goddards for mine, but like already stated it was basically perfect execution of his intent whereas Jurrahs had an element of "unco" for mine with his half chest / half extended mark that I just didn't like, very minimal mind you, quite happy for either of them to take it. :thumbsu:

unco? omg

Got to see Jurrahs mark live. Just about the best mark ive seen live before, up there with Modras against North Melbourne and a mark by David Hynes in an SANFL game. Goddards was bloody good as well.

Cant split them for me.

Yeah pretty tight between the two. Anyone saying one is clearly better needs to watch them again or look with both eyes. That said i think Goddards was just better due to him hitting the pack at full speed and taking it right at the peak of his leap.

I did love Goddard's arm windup before the mark. His mark though did look a bit, dare I say, sterile. It was pretty much your perfect standard speccie. Jurrah always has an extra special element about everything he does.

Call me biased... but Goddard's mark was too boring and standard for me. I saw it on the news last night, and my first thought after seeing it was 'Is that it??? Jeez, 2010 will go down as a year of crap marks if that is our winner'. I then saw Jurrah's mark today, and 24hrs later, I think we now have a mark that is worthy of a 'Mark of the Year' award.

Watch the video again... you can see this bloke running in, and you can just see him setting himself for a leap over a pack is perfectly placed to take a hanger over. He jumps straight up 170-180cm and gets on top of Watts' shoulders, balances himself and rotates slightly sidewards and then sticks his hands up to mark the ball (Pause the video at this point... awesome image). He then marks the ball in his HANDS (not chest) 6inches in front of his face, and then brings the ball into his chest and falls toward the ground.

THAT IS WHAT YOU CALL A MARK OF THE YEAR CONTENDER!

You're lucky to get one of these marks a year, what are the chances of getting two over the course of a weekend?

Both could easily win the MOTY. I honestly wonder whether they can split it, the marks are so damn similar.

Jurrah's was just about all leap onto Jack Watts who is just shy of 2 metres tall
Define "just shy"??? watts is what, 192? 193?

both great but goddards was a perfectly timed calculated leap and he went from further back than jurrah

and goddard is a gun, jurrah isnt.

Woah didn't expect this result. Jurrah's was a great mark but I would never expect all this praise. Goddard's was higher, he came from further back and I thought it looked much better.

Also, to those complaining that the winner only gets a tv and not a car, remember the car was only a 12 month loan! What a load of shite. I'd much rather a 3k tv than a hire car.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jurrah's happened directly in front of me. Would have to be the best mark i've seen live. It gets my vote. Every single person in the crowd was applauding in pure awe. Never seen the crowd react to an opposition feat in quite that manner before.

:thumbsu:

Right in front of me! Right. In front. Of me!

(Bring back the horse ;))

both great but goddards was a perfectly timed calculated leap and he went from further back than jurrah

Watts is 196 or 197, depending on your source.

Goddard's obviously a better player but I reckon there'd be more love across the board for Jurrah than Goddard. He's just that awesome ;)

196 last time I checked. Knee to Nick Slater's head who jumped higher than Watts too

Jurrah also happened to have a perfectly timed leap, and more hangtime. And since when does the distance back from the pack have to do with the mark?

Oh really.

You haven't watched Jurrah.

Bay 13 is thattaway.

I reckon technically, Goddard's was a better mark - he was running full tilt, jumped from further back, got the height etc.

Although visually, Jurrah's looked more special - can't put a quantifiable measure on it really.

But at the end of the day, both great marks.

The disappointing thing is they both happened in the one round, meaning only one will be able to be selected as mark of the year. Not that I necessarily back the wisdom of the AFL, but it's almost certain to be determined by the eagerness and size of the support bases of Melbourne and St. Kilda.

I reckon technically, Goddard's was a better mark - he was running full tilt, jumped from further back, got the height etc.

Although visually, Jurrah's looked more special - can't put a quantifiable measure on it really.

But at the end of the day, both great marks.
That's a good way to put it.

Personally I'll buck the trend of Melbourne supporters and say Goddard's might just pip LJ's. Not that it means I won't vote for and hope Jurrah wins it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jurrah vs Goddard - Mark of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back