Jurrah vs Goddard - Mark of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Goddard's was fantastic. Jurrah's unbelievable.
That's about it. I'm biased, I was there for Jurrah's and it was pretty damned amazing. Here's a way to gauge it, Port fans applauded Jurrah - did Tigers fans applaud Goddard?

Watts is 196, already been stated in the thread (page 2 I think), also been stated it's negated by Pattison being 198 in the Goddard mark so both effectively jumped over "tall blokes" to get it.

Obviously bias leans towards Goddards for mine, but like already stated it was basically perfect execution of his intent whereas Jurrahs had an element of "unco" for mine with his half chest / half extended mark that I just didn't like, very minimal mind you, quite happy for either of them to take it. :thumbsu:

Obviously biased, you said it. Especially when you get things like the player he took the mark over. Pattison was coming in but he did not take the mark over him. It was Lynch who is listed at 192cm and 4cm shorter than Watts.

Unco? Not only did Jurrah have more hang time, he also had to get up higher. Which means he needed to be more balanced and thus making it a far technically more difficult mark to take. You will see many marks were they launch at the pack but few with so much hang time and up that high. That is why Jesaulenko is regarded mark of the century.

Anyway Goddard's definitely the second best mark this year and it's unfortunate if now it doesn't get nominated. Although you never know with these selection panels they get a lot wrong. In any case, didn't know Goddard could do that, I guess his price has just gone a few more points.

Mark of the year is already taken by one J. Riewoldt.

[YOUTUBE]9P9klP5jfeA[/YOUTUBE]

But for mine, Goddard's is/was better

These two are so bloody close and it's bizarre they come a day after each other, mark of the round wins mark of the year.

Having a laugh at the attempt to give mark of the year a scientific judgment criteria though.

Goddard had to clear more air space to get his and I'm giving it to him.

Odd..most comments on the thread seem to back Goddard...yet Jurrah is well ahead in the poll.......Melbourne boyzs been busy...:D

Goddards came from further back, at greater speed and was over a pack situation. IMO Jurrahs was a little set up for a leap. Both worthy winners but Goddard just for me.

Odd..most comments on the thread seem to back Goddard...yet Jurrah is well ahead in the poll.......Melbourne boyzs been busy...:D

Goddards came from further back, at greater speed and was over a pack situation. IMO Jurrahs was a little set up for a leap. Both worthy winners but Goddard just for me.

At least you said 'seem to' back Goddard. 5 more people have posted Jurrah's been better.

Unfortunately these threads are littered with bias. All saints fans go for Goddard's and all Demons fans go for Jurrah's. While all Tigers fans think Riewoldt's better. :rolleyes:

Most neutrals believe Jurrah's is better.

Obviously biased, you said it. Especially when you get things like the player he took the mark over. Pattison was coming in but he did not take the mark over him. It was Lynch who is listed at 192cm and 4cm shorter than Watts.

I'm not the one who referenced them to begin with, take that issue up with those who did, I believe the inherent point was that both took marks over tall individuals, while depth would reduce the height visually, comparison can be made as Patto was beside the pack while Watts in effect was the pack when both marks were taken. Might also want to get your players right though, as there was no one by the name of Lynch that played in that game.

Unco? Not only did Jurrah have more hang time, he also had to get up higher. Which means he needed to be more balanced and thus making it a far technically more difficult mark to take. You will see many marks were they launch at the pack but few with so much hang time and up that high. That is why Jesaulenko is regarded mark of the century.

Obviously yourself and that Demon supporter are getting caught up on terminology as opposed to intent of the statement which is why the word was wrapped to begin with, so that one can substitute terminology. The intent was that it was not a classical procedure for a mark in which the arms are contracted (chest mark) or extended. From my view Jurrah half looked like he was bracing on the way down (as you would) considering he was coming down from the apex of his jump. This did not make it as enjoyable for me since if he is on the way down then he mistimed his leap yes? If his arms are not fully extended in front of him then he misread the flight or the ball dipped or any other variable then yeah?

As I said, very happy for Jurrah or Goddard to take it as its a minimal niggle based on aesthetics of execution. If you scoff at bias then simply move on and dismiss it, especially when all you have to go on is that I couldn't find a better word to articulate my thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not the one who referenced them to begin with, take that issue up with those who did, I believe the inherent point was that both took marks over tall individuals, while depth would reduce the height visually, comparison can be made as Patto was beside the pack while Watts in effect was the pack when both marks were taken. Might also want to get your players right though, as there was no one by the name of Lynch that played in that game.

It looked like number 29 but it must of been 25 Sam Fisher who is even shorter. In regards to who referenced Pattison first, it's a moot point when you go with it and not correct it.

Obviously yourself and that Demon supporter are getting caught up on terminology as opposed to intent of the statement which is why the word was wrapped to begin with, so that one can substitute terminology. The intent was that it was not a classical procedure for a mark in which the arms are contracted (chest mark) or extended. From my view Jurrah half looked like he was bracing on the way down (as you would) considering he was coming down from the apex of his jump. This did not make it as enjoyable for me since if he is on the way down then he mistimed his leap yes? If his arms are not fully extended in front of him then he misread the flight or the ball dipped or any other variable then yeah?

Okay so you say Goddards was more classical, whatever that means, and Jurrah didn't get it at HIS highest point. Would Goddard have taken the same mark over Watts? Wouldn't of been able to elevate himself that high, so no. Would Jurrah managed to taken Goddard's? Possibly.

Jurrah's is technically harder, more difficult and more spectacular.

It looked like number 29 but it must of been 25 Sam Fisher who is even shorter. In regards to who referenced Pattison first, it's a moot point when you go with it and not correct it.
It was 29, Tom Lynch (officially listed as 192cm), but Pattison was rubbing the back of his head immediately after so I'm pretty sure Goddard clipped him

It was 29, Tom Lynch (officially listed as 192cm), but Pattison was rubbing the back of his head immediately after so I'm pretty sure Goddard clipped him

Someone took Lynch's number because his not listed in players who played.

EDIT. Just checked it again, it was Sam Fisher, just look at his spiky gelled hair which is hard enough to be used as a step ladder.

lol at everyone saying that Goddards was "technically" better. What sort of crap is that. MOTY should always go to the mark which is most aesthetically pleasing. Goddard goes straight up and down. Jurrah goes up, hangs there for a while, and then comes down. He got a much better ride and seems to be higher.

Goddard's was probably a better mark in that it was a bigger pack, higher difficulty, took it at his peak etc, but Jurrah's just looks better.

It had a great leap, float, hang and dismount. It's the exact mark you dream of taking.

Either way one of them is very very stiff to take a mark like that and not be mark of the week.

Had the privelige to see the Jurrah mark in person and from under 60m. Its not often a home side will applaud the opponent, but Jurrah got a nice reception to his mark from all spectators.

A mark like that almost transcends team loyalties (almost). :)

As I said, very happy for Jurrah or Goddard to take it as its a minimal niggle based on aesthetics of execution. If you scoff at bias then simply move on and dismiss it, especially when all you have to go on is that I couldn't find a better word to articulate my thoughts.

Fly, that 'demon' supporter was me :)

Your use of the word 'unco' in my opinion is a little 'clumsy' and if the fact that Jurrah's arms weren't fully extended made your viewing experience less enjoyable then I feel sorry for you. One of the highlights of our great game is high marking, enjoy every single one of them because contested marking is becoming rarer and rarer.

It was a great mark and definitely not 'unco'. So to was Goddard's. Personally I can't split them although my bias will naturally go with Jurrah, in this case the winner should be determined by non-Melbourne/Saints fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jurrah vs Goddard - Mark of the Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back