just how good is scully?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would that surprise you ? They played in the same Champs last year and Scully also made AA. Scully looks to be the standout mid in his draft year and as one recruiting manager peronally told me "Scully is the best junior in Australia and daylight is second." Albeit, that comment was made before the Champs.

I saw Ziebell at Casey Fields and TD last year during the Carnival and have seen him at AFL level. He's a good player, but Scully is a level higher.

You'll find out soon enough.

You miss the point.

Ziebell has shown he can play at a very high standard in the AFL seniors. Scully hasn't.

Plenty of cases of highly rated juniours not making the leap to seniors.

Hope for your sake Scully isn't one.

They are actually very close mates with each other and have been since under 12s. Both are good but I have been watching junior footy for years and Scully is the best junior player I have seen. I have seen him play 15 times and most were of a very high standard.

I have never doubted Scully's ability as a juniour. What irks me is Dees fans claiming he is a better senior player than guys like Rich or Ziebell when he isn't even on a list yet.

Obviously he will get drafted, almost certainly at 1 or 2 by Melbourne.

And then what happens if he suffers a Jesse Smith like injury during his first intra club? Develops a liking for the old Benny Cousins nights out?

My point is clubs shouldn't count their chickens til they hatch.

I have never doubted Scully's ability as a juniour. What irks me is Dees fans claiming he is a better senior player than guys like Rich or Ziebell when he isn't even on a list yet.

And then what happens if he suffers a Jesse Smith like injury during his first intra club? Develops a liking for the old Benny Cousins nights out?

If its any consolation, I agree with you SLF

I agree. Melbourne fans seem to think Scully is the second coming of Christ off the back of hearsay and hype, or a single highlights video. Very good player, but he's not perfect, and he's not a guaranteed success.

If its any consolation, I agree with you SLF

Cheers - I should specify not ALL Dees fans are doing this.

I am a rational person who makes a living by dealing in facts.

But when it comes to footy I am a big believer in supernatural forces, cursing, putting the mozz on etc and I reckon too many dees fans are talking up Scully for it to be healthy.

Not only that, they are putting such a weight of expectation on him. Talking about how he and Watts will lead you guys to finals contention next year. FFS. These guys are kids. Talented kids, but kids all the same.

I agree. Melbourne fans seem to think Scully is the second coming of Christ off the back of hearsay and hype, or a single highlights video. Very good player, but he's not perfect, and he's not a guaranteed success.

Exactly. Go here and look at the list of guys who've won the Larke Medal over the years.

Some turned out to be guns, some turned out to be duds who never played a senior game, some became so/so senior players.

Same with number 1 draft picks over the years.

I realise when you've been bottom two years running you need to clutch at any success you can get, but this over-pumping of Scully's tires by Melbourne fans is plain stupid.

Be particularly hilarious if the Dees hierachy decide they prefer Butcher and Trengove at 1/2.

Scully is a freak, and already better than 95% of AFL listed players.

I suspect that a lot of people will trash talk him and pick apart any minor weakness in his game over the coming months just to make themselves feel better.

He will be a Demon, deal with it.

If he follows the natural progression of players such as Judd, Hodge, Cooney, Deledio, Murphy, Gibbs, Rich, etc it's hardly far fetched to suggest he'll be a very good AFL player. Especially when one considers the type of player he is. He's inside and outside. For example, Gibbs is making it at AFL level and he's pretty much outside, whilst Scully's game is win the clearance at the stoppage, shoot out a lightning handball, run, run, and run some more to contest after contest. His game is tailor made for AFL footy.

And yes, I've seen him play live over the last 2 years.

Also, if you've ever read anything on him you'll note that he doesn't drink and that he's been doing all things possible to be the best player he can be from a very young age. There's no Ben Cousins factor here. If he maximises his potential he will be at least the levels of Rich and Ziebell.

The only reason top junior footballers fail is because of their attitude. Scully works hard and doesnt drink piss so I would assume he will go to the top.

Lucky Demons, the first two picks.

I've seen Scully three times - 08 champs, 08 TAC cup grand final, 09 champs.

He has impressed me immensely in all games and I would be stunned if he didn't go no.1. He is the perfect modern day footballer.

Can't wait to see him in red+blue next year.

Most people I speak to who know more than anyone here says "Fairly ordinary for a pick 1" and "worst pick 1 this decade". These are paid recruitment managers aswell.

When I was speaking about Tom Swift, one of the recruiting managers told me he would be clear number 1 in this years draft. From what I saw at the u18 comp I can see why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few weeks ago on Footy Classified Hutchy said that a recruiter he spoke to labelled Scully as the best U18 to come through since Judd.

I'll take Hutchy's word :)

Most people I speak to who know more than anyone here says "Fairly ordinary for a pick 1" and "worst pick 1 this decade". These are paid recruitment managers aswell.

When I was speaking about Tom Swift, one of the recruiting managers told me he would be clear number 1 in this years draft. From what I saw at the u18 comp I can see why.

If what you say is true, I'm guessing these guys work at West Coast.

It's very easy to make statements such as these when your club firstly doesn't have access to the number one pick, and secondly already has Tom Swift on their books.

Farcical suggestion.

Haha you mean Rickie Lambert? Works for St Kilda, DEES and Essendon and all he is is a ****ing stat collecting nobody. Considering he was the one who probably suggested Ball over Judd I think his words to Hutchy are as irrelevant as they get

Anyway ill take the word over the guys who chose Judd over the guys who chose Luke Ball :eek:

If what you say is true, I'm guessing these guys work at West Coast.

It's very easy to make statements such as these when your club firstly doesn't have access to the number one pick, and secondly already has Tom Swift on their books.

Farcical suggestion.

Tom Swift is the best u16 talent ever seen. Judd included. Voss says so, Hutchy says so. Everyone with two eyes who can read stats says so. Its about as nailed on as it gets.

West Coast guy says this and even the Bombers bloke agrees which says alot

Who the **** is Rickie Lambert?

And why are you going on about him so much? Hutchy didn't mention any name. Nice tantrum BTW, did Lambert root your missus?

Just a human leech like Hutchy. Wouldnt know talent from a grapefruit. If your saying Hutchy has a better eye for talent than Voss well your a sad man. Even worse than your namesake

Would Dee supporters be pissed if he didn't go number 1 or 2?

Rich was a lock for one or two almost all of the year but he slid and is still doing well. Going to be an interesting draft period as one Melbourne now have two picks to stuff up and two Carlton have won't have a pick in the top 10 for almost 8 years...

Just a human leech like Hutchy. Wouldnt know talent from a grapefruit. If your saying Hutchy has a better eye for talent than Voss well your a sad man. Even worse than your namesake
So how did he come into this conversation??

Hutchy said he had spoken to a recruiter who said Scully was the best U18 to come through since Judd.

I really have no idea what you are rambling on about.:confused:

I would say Melbourne have locked him in already.
They have spent the last 6 weeks ensuring that they don't move off the bottom and loose first pick.
They are pretty keen on someone and you can bet it is Scully.
Go Dees!

If he follows the natural progression of players such as Judd, Hodge, Cooney, Deledio, Murphy, Gibbs, Rich, etc it's hardly far fetched to suggest he'll be a very good AFL player. Especially when one considers the type of player he is. He's inside and outside. For example, Gibbs is making it at AFL level and he's pretty much outside, whilst Scully's game is win the clearance at the stoppage, shoot out a lightning handball, run, run, and run some more to contest after contest. His game is tailor made for AFL footy.

And yes, I've seen him play live over the last 2 years.

Also, if you've ever read anything on him you'll note that he doesn't drink and that he's been doing all things possible to be the best player he can be from a very young age. There's no Ben Cousins factor here. If he maximises his potential he will be at least the levels of Rich and Ziebell.

This is an entirely sensible post and one I can happily agree with.

Hmm well considering Scully dominated against opposition players who went top 20 in last years draft you're claim is a little ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

just how good is scully?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back