Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I am concerned that the club will do another 1 year extension for JLo just prior to next season in an effort to keep the media at bay. A coach coming out of contract is juicy pickings for the media, and moreover if the club is going through a few poor results there will be added media attention if he doesn't have a contract beyond the end of 2025.

The club came out a few years ago and set a very ambitious agenda to win premierships across the men and women's teams. It's now time to bring that about by ensuring JLo is given performance hurdles to meet or his job is under serious pressure. No more participation awards for this team.

I am concerned that the club will do another 1 year extension for JLo just prior to next season in an effort to keep the media at bay. A coach coming out of contract is juicy pickings for the media, and moreover if the club is going through a few poor results there will be added media attention if he doesn't have a contract beyond the end of 2025.

The club came out a few years ago and set a very ambitious agenda to win premierships across the men and women's teams. It's now time to bring that about by ensuring JLo is given performance hurdles to meet or his job is under serious pressure. No more participation awards for this team.

The 1 year extension made sense this year. If Treacy, Darcy, Pearce all went down in round 3 and we lost 4 in a row the heat on JLo would have been big. The way things panned out we got games into guys like Draper and Reidy for added depth next year and there was no pressure on the coach because we spent 99% of the season in the top 8. It should be finals or bust in 2025 assuming the Bolton deal gets done.

Did we not change our approach to rebounding off the half back line this year?
Did we not lose our last 4 games of the season with minimal changes to team selection and in a very similar manner in each?

We certainly have changed our game style - I wouldn't say we have learnt from our losses though.

Did we not lose our last 4 games of the season with minimal changes to team selection and in a very similar manner in each?

We certainly have changed our game style - I wouldn't say we have learnt from our losses though.
We won't know until next year.

One of things that JL has been praised for is taking the long term view for the club, over the short term wins for himself.

Rightly or wrongly they may have just wanted to expose the core to that pressure. Week after week, to see what they had, and highlight where they needed to improve.

There certainly felt like a burning desire from the group to go away and get better, rather than a mopey woe is me attitude.

The 1 year extension made sense this year. If Treacy, Darcy, Pearce all went down in round 3 and we lost 4 in a row the heat on JLo would have been big. The way things panned out we got games into guys like Draper and Reidy for added depth next year and there was no pressure on the coach because we spent 99% of the season in the top 8. It should be finals or bust in 2025 assuming the Bolton deal gets done.
Treacy's emergence really saved us from finishing lower which is insane to think about and doesn't bode well for JLo. There are teams playing finals that are less talented than our team and yet the coaching has them playing good football.

Minimal changes but what other levers did you think we had to play? Reidy and Noddy came in, aside from that, is it drop Fyfe for Ras or Brodie? Simpson instead of Walters I suppose?

I'm not sure there were many other changes to make.

Like, they were coming up just short each time. What else did you expect to change?

Did we not change our approach to rebounding off the half back line this year?
I mean, I have no investment in this whole "the coach is the entire reason why we won / why we failed" thing, but I would've thought the one thing that was indisputable about Longmuir is that he makes adjustments between seasons. Anyone still deriding his "chip it around the back line game plan" surely does not actually watch the games?

Treacy's emergence really saved us from finishing lower which is insane to think about and doesn't bode well for JLo. There are teams playing finals that are less talented than our team and yet the coaching has them playing good football.
which teams are less talented than our team in the finals? carlton? could argue i suppose but their talent is at their peak and experienced at this point.

geelong are what 2 years removed from a flag? brisbane would be up there with one of the best lists for the past 5 years, same goes for GWS. the dogs have been teasing the league for about 5 years as well now and really its an indictment on their coach that theyve never been top 4 before, unreal amounts of talent and get topped up with JUH and Darcy for free. sydney have been great for years as well with some added vets like grundy, adams, chuck in their heeneys, guldens and blakeys from their academy too

hawks have a glut of talent with some good older heads around them, most would probably say theyre about equal with us on talent?

Under RTB you could be confident that Crowley and deBoer would go to someone and those 2 players would have a tough day. I'd love to see us find a role player with a bit of niggle. Bontempelli seems to get 30 and 2 goals every time we play them.

If we get Warner I’d make Brayshaw a Cameron Ling style tagger who can hurt you the other way, while Warner, Young and a Serong get to work

which teams are less talented than our team in the finals? carlton? could argue i suppose but their talent is at their peak and experienced at this point.

geelong are what 2 years removed from a flag? brisbane would be up there with one of the best lists for the past 5 years, same goes for GWS. the dogs have been teasing the league for about 5 years as well now and really its an indictment on their coach that theyve never been top 4 before, unreal amounts of talent and get topped up with JUH and Darcy for free. sydney have been great for years as well with some added vets like grundy, adams, chuck in their heeneys, guldens and blakeys from their academy too

hawks have a glut of talent with some good older heads around them, most would probably say theyre about equal with us on talent?

Hawks are not even close to us on talent. Not even close.

We had 3 of our most important players go down while they have stayed mostly healthy, only difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won't know until next year.

One of things that JL has been praised for is taking the long term view for the club, over the short term wins for himself.

Rightly or wrongly they may have just wanted to expose the core to that pressure. Week after week, to see what they had, and highlight where they needed to improve.

There certainly felt like a burning desire from the group to go away and get better, rather than a mopey woe is me attitude.

If the focus is long term you play Reidy over Taberner, Cooper Simpson over Banfield, Erasmus over Aish, etc.

Erasmus over Aish
Reidy may not be there next year anyway (and I've already explained the reasoning behind Tabs over Reidy)

Cooper just isn't ready, and Banfield had been in good form.

Erasmus plays mid. I would have liked for him to come over JOM, but Aish was off half back.

I don't disagree on principle though, there were opportunities to prioritise some development and have a foot in both camps.

Minimal changes but what other levers did you think we had to play? Reidy and Noddy came in, aside from that, is it drop Fyfe for Ras or Brodie? Simpson instead of Walters I suppose?

I'm not sure there were many other changes to make.

Like, they were coming up just short each time. What else did you expect to change?
We also dropped Aish in the last quarter of the season, replacing him with Wagner.

That would be akin to Stanley being a late out for Geelong, and them selecting a Tom Hawkins who can barely move in his place. Pretty easy to 'learn' when you make a mistake so dumb that it slaps you in the mouth.
The only reason Tabs could have been selected the following week was if we were outright tanking. Hardly a nuanced learning experience. I'd say the more obvious case was watching Jackson get dominated as a solo ruck against Hawthorn, or Darcy playing injured against Essendon. And still refusing to make the right call for the Geelong game.
As much as I agree Tabs is a cooked chook, he did kick 13 goals at Peel in the 4 games leading up to his selection. In context it was the right selection. It didn't work, and probably stamped his papers.

I'm pretty comfortable going forward with Voss as backup if Amiss or Treacy go down. Just can't afford to lose both.

What are you talking about? There have been games those two have had zero tackles. Zero
Hello Damien Drum.

Remember how you instructed players to tackle at all costs getting sucked into the ball but that left exits out of contests, create overlaps, and easy switches.

Pressure includes stopping easier exits, closing space to force a high kick allowing your interceptors time and defense to set up and forcing kicking or handball errors creating turnovers.

Tackling is a deceptive stat as not all tackles are equal. A player can get sucked into the ball in a contest and get his tackle stat up, but he hurts the team on spread of the contest.

Fyfe, Walters and O'Meara get tackles in the contest but hurts us defensively as they are slow from the spread, never cover outlets and are slow in reducing space outside of the contest. It be ok if they won the contests like they once did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back