Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

JL has his detractors but surely people see the upsides.

It's incredibly telling that we've brought in players considered delist fodder and turned them into genuine footballers - Jordan Clark, Jeremy Sharp, Corey Wagner, Will Brodie in 2022, James Aish to an extent.

Development of draftees has accelerated at a rate faster than Lyon ever managed, I feel far more confident under JL that a debutant will adapt far quicker to the intensity of AFL than under Lyon.

Then have a look at some of our players who've left and underperformed with other teams.

Good crew of assistants too, just remember 5 years ago we had Anthony Rock, David Hale, Brent Guerra etc. Incomparable to what we have now.

Solid post... Yeah Sharp and Wagner and Will Broadie were delist fodder when they were picked up by Freo. Sharp was forced to rot in the 2nds for a season at the suns before freo traded him. Wagner got games at both Kangaroos and Demons before going to freo. Will Broadie played 25 games in 5 seasons at the suns before going to the dockers.

James Aish as Delist Fodder? Far from it. Played 50 games in 4 seasons at the Pies. He played in all 4 Magpies finals in 2018, that included the 2018 grand final. His last game for Collingwood in 2019 was the narrow prelim final loss to GWS. So he was in magpies best 22. I assumed he was traded as Magpies had to get rid of him for salary cap reasons.

Development of Draftees accelerated faster than Lyon ever managed.... How so? I think its more of a fact that freos 1st round picks from 2016-21 have been wise selections and were lucky too compared to the unlucky 1st rounders Freo has from 2007-14.

Nah, there’s one paid columnist (Dem) who rates Freo / JL but the rest don’t really. There’s another (Liam) who’s a Freo supporter, but he doesn’t do any columns, I don’t think. That’s the first really positive piece that Tim has written. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I reckon it’s a great analysis too.
I can't recall a more detailed and insightful Dockers game review I've ever read.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

• Sitting 3rd at the end of round 16
  • 3-1-3 record against current top 8 teams
  • 5 wins away from home
  • Seems to have the buy in from the players with the team looking engaged with most key players locked away contractually
  • Player development looking pretty good on the most part suggesting a good internal environment
  • Tactical pre-game and game day coaching is getting better (i.e. last weekend against Sydney)
  • Still super young as seen on the weekend so more natural growth in the list will occur all things being equal
  • Three first round picks in this years draft

I've been saying this for literally years but it's almost as if an approach to back in our all of team/org strategy and approach and to not blink when things get challenging might be paying off? :oops:

From an organisational strategy perspective that is what should be done. Back yourself in while being able to iterate/course correct as needed until it's not working and it's time to make a big change. This means being aware of when the risks from staying the same are greater than that of changing. Playing the percentages, it was clear to me that staying the course and 100% backing in the current plan was the better path to walk. Although I've had my doubts if we were sliding into the eventual need to make a massive change eventually, I never understood or understand the 'Sack JLo' crew.

It still might not work out but at this point with what we know, it is super clear to me that looking at the risks associated with large scale change versus staying on the current path, the team has made a series of the right decisions including JLo's most recent contract extension.

JL has his detractors but surely people see the upsides.

It's incredibly telling that we've brought in players considered delist fodder and turned them into genuine footballers - Jordan Clark, Jeremy Sharp, Corey Wagner, Will Brodie in 2022, James Aish to an extent.

Development of draftees has accelerated at a rate faster than Lyon ever managed, I feel far more confident under JL that a debutant will adapt far quicker to the intensity of AFL than under Lyon.

Then have a look at some of our players who've left and underperformed with other teams.

Good crew of assistants too, just remember 5 years ago we had Anthony Rock, David Hale, Brent Guerra etc. Incomparable to what we have now.
Damn Sting...
Youre blaming JL for the good stuff
That's hardly fair

Hard to argue they were wrong to value him at a first rounder, problem was they hadn't played him enough in their team.
The word around was Matthew Scarlett who was defence coach at Geelong hated Jordan.
He wouldn’t play him and when he did get a chance, probably because of injuries, he was played out of his
Preferred position.
Geelong refused to trade him to us the year before and he spent another season in their reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

afl.com.au has an article today which argues Freo should offer JLo a longer contract, even though we are in the middle of the year

this is what stood out for me

It all points to a culture where ego is parked and preparation is prioritised.

"Our No.1 goal as a team is to be the most organised team in the comp, and the most prepared team in the comp," Longmuir said during a pre-season interview with AFL.com.au.

No need to re-sign JL now IMO but equally no need to go into February/March next year without re-signing him if things going the way they are.

Tbh ladder position doesn’t really matter unless we finish top four then thing get serious. The style of footy we’ve played the last month is what’s excited me - I was very negative about game style last year. We’ve shown we can play a style which suits our list again. We’ve got weapons with speed and skill - ****ing use it and we are currently.

No need to re-sign JL now IMO but equally no need to go into February/March next year without re-signing him if things going the way they are.

Tbh ladder position doesn’t really matter unless we finish top four then thing get serious. The style of footy we’ve played the last month is what’s excited me - I was very negative about game style last year. We’ve shown we can play a style which suits our list again. We’ve got weapons with speed and skill - ****ing use it and we are currently.
it was the reference to egos - that's something I have really noticed this year. JLo has created a great group of players who are professional and humble, and play for each other.

it was the reference to egos - that's something I have really noticed this year. JLo has created a great group of players who are professional and humble, and play for each other.

I’m commenting on the afl.com article in general. We re-signed in March probably with the intention of not worrying about his contract during the season whether the season was good or bad.

No need to deviate from the plan when things are going well.

I’m commenting on the afl.com article in general. We re-signed in March probably with the intention of not worrying about his contract during the season whether the season was good or bad.

No need to deviate from the plan when things are going well.
I agree. I think JLo knows where he is at, and the club doesn't need to panic.

I think there's still 2 things I'm concerned about:

1. Reliance on clearance differential still seems massive - I will need to look into it exactly. We also don't score anywhere near enough of stoppages given the volume of clearances we win.
2. We haven't really had a wet weather game this season.

What's awesome though is our turnover game seems to have markedly improved - even when we got smacked against the dogs we were great at scoring off turnover. We also seem to be much less handball happy out of stoppages which should help us in wet weather games.

I think there's still 2 things I'm concerned about:

1. Reliance on clearance differential still seems massive - I will need to look into it exactly. We also don't score anywhere near enough of stoppages given the volume of clearances we win.
2. We haven't really had a wet weather game this season.

What's awesome though is our turnover game seems to have markedly improved - even when we got smacked against the dogs we were great at scoring off turnover. We also seem to be much less handball happy out of stoppages which should help us in wet weather games.
it's supposed to rain on Saturday...

I'm going to have to disagree with Schmooky here. The reason they signed JL to a one year extension is so it wouldn't become a distraction or media fodder during the season. Negotiating a contract now is the opposite of why they signed him in the offseason. Why worry about it now. Let the season play out and deal with it in the offseason. I'm confident JL would agree.

I will say this. Yeah it's one game at a time. We got Richmond at home coming up.

I just want no dramas .

We’ve rebounded from failure way way better than we’ve handled successes the last few years and forever really

Let’s hope they can come out and put in a professional showing this week

Might even be enough to convince this jaded old cat we are getting somewhere

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

it's supposed to rain on Saturday...
That’s good because if they can’t win in the rain then they should shut up shop and take up a nice cosy indoor sport like badminton because football is a winter sport .
I don’t want to have a pretender asterisk attached to us in any way , shape or form .
Flag needs to be legit .

I'm going to have to disagree with Schmooky here. The reason they signed JL to a one year extension is so it wouldn't become a distraction or media fodder during the season. Negotiating a contract now is the opposite of why they signed him in the offseason. Why worry about it now. Let the season play out and deal with it in the offseason. I'm confident JL would agree.

Far out could you imagine how infuriating it would be if he hadn't been signed. It would be the only thing about us they would talk about each week and we'd have to deal with the flip flopping every other game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back